Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 PM

35 posts, read 84,067 times

Advertisements

Okay here's the story. I'm actually 5 months pregnant due on Christmas with my first child and I'm a junior in college finishing up a bachelor's degree in Registered Nursing in NYC. I'm have been going to school nonstop..winter, spring, summer and fall maintaining a 3.9 GPA. I grew up in some of worst areas and I really want to achieve a great paying career, a home and safe place for to raise my baby.
It has come to the point that i need to go to a shelter because i live with my family and there is absolutely no room for my child and I. There is nothing but conflict and a lack of privacy in this home. And don't get me started on the constant mess of clutter. In addition, I work for the NYC DOE as a per diem substitute so I am making some money but its definitely not enough and the NYCDOE is notorious for not paying their employees on time. I have been stressing out everyday with so much uncertainty on what to do. I have a couple of questions I been dying to get the answers to. If someone can please answer these questions I would be so grateful:
1. Should I pick a shelter in NYC or Westchester county? Why?
2. Which one can help me move into a better place faster before my child comes? How long did your placement take?
3. Do I have to work a job FULL time when im already a college student?
4. Are there any exceptions to come back past curfew if you ask ahead of time?
5. I heard of apartment vouchers they give you. Can that be used anywhere to get a place of your choice?
6. How does the NY shelter process work?

Serious and DETAILED answers only. I would like to know your experiences in a shelter in NY and if anyone has any helpful links i can click on that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
Okay here's the story. I'm actually 5 months pregnant due on Christmas with my first child and I'm a junior in college finishing up a bachelor's degree in Registered Nursing in NYC. I'm have been going to school nonstop..winter, spring, summer and fall maintaining a 3.9 GPA. I grew up in some of worst areas and I really want to achieve a great paying career, a home and safe place for to raise my baby.
It has come to the point that i need to go to a shelter because i live with my family and there is absolutely no room for my child and I. There is nothing but conflict and a lack of privacy in this home. And don't get me started on the constant mess of clutter. In addition, I work for the NYC DOE as a per diem substitute so I am making some money but its definitely not enough and the NYCDOE is notorious for not paying their employees on time. I have been stressing out everyday with so much uncertainty on what to do. I have a couple of questions I been dying to get the answers to. If someone can please answer these questions I would be so grateful:
1. Should I pick a shelter in NYC or Westchester county? Why?
2. Which one can help me move into a better place faster before my child comes? How long did your placement take?
3. Do I have to work a job FULL time when im already a college student?
4. Are there any exceptions to come back past curfew if you ask ahead of time?
5. I heard of apartment vouchers they give you. Can that be used anywhere to get a place of your choice?
6. How does the NY shelter process work?

Serious and DETAILED answers only. I would like to know your experiences in a shelter in NY and if anyone has any helpful links i can click on that would be greatly appreciated.
What happened to the babies daddy and where is his involvement in this?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What happened to the babies daddy and where is his involvement in this?
Oh thanks! As if that really answers the questions I just listed. Thanks for your help But since you want to know, my child's father is not making enough to provide for me. He is also in college finishing up a degree. His living situation with his family is the same as mine..nothing but constant physical confrontations on a daily basis. I'm deciding to do the shelter thing because I'm at the point where I need a calm place where I can properly care for my child. PERIOD

Now please can someone just easily answer my questions without going off on a tangent?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Oh thanks! As if that really answers the questions I just listed. Thanks for your help But since you want to know, my child's father is not making enough to provide for me. He is also in college finishing up a degree. His living situation with his family is the same as mine..nothing but constant physical confrontations on a daily basis. I'm deciding to do the shelter thing because I'm at the point where I need a calm place where I can properly care for my child. PERIOD

Now please can someone just easily answer my questions without going off on a tangent?
Hmmm sorry. The only shelter places I know of is in Hunts Point and in Motf Haven a place called Path which is runned by the city. I hope you find something because the shelter system is packex beyond capacity these days. I hope everything and anything works out for you and your bundle of joy.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
To get an apartment if you're homeless and in the shelter system can take awhile. As in a long time. Supposedly they are not issues new Section 8 vouchers in NYC because of federal cutbacks. Don't go into a shelter situation with no plan or ability to move forward. ACS could determine that you can't take care of your child and put your child in foster care. This has happened to one woman I know who was staying in churches and because she had no long term ability to provide for her child, ACS got involved. Moving into NYCHA could take years because of the long waiting list.

So what you should do is contact a non profit agency like BronxWorks and ask the caseworkers there what help they can give you. For the kinds of questions you pose, its always going to be better to take them to a profession who deals with that kind of business. They will tell you what they can do for you, as oppose to getting into your business (LOL).

Homeless Outreach Team | BronxWorks

BronxWorks Homeless Outreach Team
60 E. Tremont Ave.
Bronx, NY 10453
Click here for a map and driving directions
Click here for subway and bus directions

For more information, please contact:
Ralph Acevedo, Program Director
(646) 393-4073
racevedo@bronxworks.org

They also offer shelters, but you'd have to be placed into the system by going through the city. For info on that, call 311.

Family Shelters | BronxWorks

Old 08-13-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To get an apartment if you're homeless and in the shelter system can take awhile. As in a long time. Supposedly they are not issues new Section 8 vouchers in NYC because of federal cutbacks. Don't go into a shelter situation with no plan or ability to move forward. ACS could determine that you can't take care of your child and put your child in foster care. This has happened to one woman I know who was staying in churches and because she had no long term ability to provide for her child, ACS got involved. Moving into NYCHA could take years because of the long waiting list.

So what you should do is contact a non profit agency like BronxWorks and ask the caseworkers there what help they can give you. For the kinds of questions you pose, its always going to be better to take them to a profession who deals with that kind of business. They will tell you what they can do for you, as oppose to getting into your business (LOL).

Homeless Outreach Team | BronxWorks

BronxWorks Homeless Outreach Team
60 E. Tremont Ave.
Bronx, NY 10453
Click here for a map and driving directions
Click here for subway and bus directions

For more information, please contact:
Ralph Acevedo, Program Director
(646) 393-4073
racevedo@bronxworks.org

They also offer shelters, but you'd have to be placed into the system by going through the city. For info on that, call 311.

Family Shelters | BronxWorks
Wow I sincerly appreciate you for reaching out and providing me with some vital information but I am really trying to avoid the Bronx and NYCHA all together due to the overcrowdedness and the ignorant people. Do you know anything about Westchester County perhaps? I heard its a much better ordeal

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Wow I sincerly appreciate you for reaching out and providing me with some vital information but I am really trying to avoid the Bronx and NYCHA all together due to the overcrowdedness and the ignorant people. Do you know anything about Westchester County perhaps? I heard its a much better ordeal
For that you'd need to just contact their local department of social services. Here is the website.

Contact Us

Go on there, and there are contact numbers. You can look on the website. They do have shelters there, and you have to register in social services office first before you can go to a shelter. Call them up and tell them your situation and find out what you have to do.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:

Two children having children with no place to go or means to sustain themselves. Where did I hear that story before?

NYC shelters will do anything in their power to turn you away. And I'm not sure Westchester shelters will be accepting people whose last residence was not in their county.
And If you think a shelter is a calm and good environment to care for a child, you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise.

Saying you should've used contraception or thought about the consequences of bringing a child into this world in your situation, is water under the bridge. It's a done deal.

Most likely you'll just have to put up with your family until you or your 'baby daddy' can become self sufficient.

Last edited by likeminas; 08-13-2013 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM

282 posts, read 575,160 times
Quote:
There is nothing but conflict and a lack of privacy in this home. And don't get
me started on the constant mess of clutter.
And you think a shelter would be better? I can't offer any advice on how to get into a shelter but I would strongly advice against going that route. You will be giving yourself and your child the worst possible start in life. I'm sorry I can't help you but I wish you all the luck in the world.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I'm deciding to do the shelter thing because I'm at the point where I need a
calm place where I can properly care for my child. PERIOD

A shelter will NOT provide a "calm place where I can properly care for my child." That is an absolutely unassailable fact. You need to make a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City