Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,103,020 times

Advertisements

I say it sounds like a good deal and if you feel you can afford it, go for it! Living alone is the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM

393 posts, read 784,326 times
You'll need to save for years to buy in NYC, especially if you have college loans and owning comes with a ton of unexpected expenses anyway.

I second living alone, especially if you have a 1 bedroom apartment. You don't want to share that with some stranger. Who knows how that turns out? Save your sanity! Personally, I feel like if you could swing it living alone is always the better choice. The roommate thing after college gets old really quickly. If you want to have a serious relationship, that's something you want to think about too. Hell, even if you want to date around you have to think about that stuff. It's awkward to bring someone home when you have to share a 1 bedroom with someone else. Plus, long-term boyfriends/girlfriends could potentially contribute to the rent if you decide to live together.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,734,667 times
You have an amazing landlord, and I hope you appreciate it. Look, you're undeniably lucky with your housing (although the classic rule used to be 1/4, not 1/3). On the other hand, it sounds as if you had no relationship with your roommate. I think that when you're so young, a good roommate can add to your experience, broadening your life, assuming that you take the time to check out the roommate beforehand.

Since your landlord is so nice, ask if you can start off alone with the reduced rent, and then you can take your time, look around, see if you meet anyone compatible through your job, run a very stringent ad on Craigslist - and if you get lucky, then go back to roommating.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,624,450 times
Your aprx income after taxes a month comes to $3,750, assuming 25% is withheld.

Minus rent your remaining cash will be $2,350 which leaves you with aprx $540 a week for everything else.

That is definitely comfortable living here. Go it alone is my advice.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM

912 posts, read 2,103,063 times
Live alone and hit the bar hard

Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,559,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Living alone is what people want- it's a luxury and you can afford it and you like the place. Do it.

A roommate can help with the social life if you are in a new city but you likely have a social network already from school.
um he can afford it

1.) Pay off your debt 1st ASAP
2.) Plan your retirement
3. Save up for grad school

Top three things you should focus on first 2-3 years. You can afford to live alone, but IMO anything to reduce your expenses is in your best interest. Heck I went back home after college and leeched off family members. Huge difference endgame. For example:

Option A- Make 60K save it, give 10% to charity, help out mom with a bill or 2

Option B- Live paycheck to paycheck and take out massive loans for grad school

Congrats on getting a job. Many recent college grads don't.

Moreover no realtor will be willng to let you own anything yet. Too young.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
A roommate/friend can be a nice living arrangement. Lonesomeness is a pain in the ass and thus there is a price to be paid living alone.
BUT a bad roommate is really a Satanic curse.
I have had both.

(A life partner is, of course, wonderful.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: