Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 11,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Why would a college student live without roommates. Also if expenses is a major concern is it not possible to work part time and / or live in a decent part of the bronx?

I don't think you should take into consideration that you are "from the south". If you've backbacked through asia how can you bypass COLUMBIA! and NYC?! Even with average sub-mid class salaries debt is easy to pay off (or avoid entirely) if you focus on it.

Whatever you are looking to get a grad in NYC should be a great place to gainfully employ it.
Oh, I'd prefer living with roommates actually. Apologies if I did not specify that. I'm not extremely high maintenance--I'm planning on living modestly and sleeping on the floor with a mattress. I just don't want to live in grimy place with bugs/roaches and I know you can't be too picky with NYC.
With my school schedule + required field work, I don't think I will have time for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Which other schools offered you admission?

Perhaps a school in a smaller, cleaner city would be better for you.
University of Pennsylvania, NYU, UCLA, and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Ann Arbor would be the best fit.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Me, I would just go to whichever one is the best school.

But even if Columbia is the best school of the 5 in your field, I doubt it's so much better than Penn or Michigan that it can overcome your concerns about the big city or cost of living.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM

222 posts, read 714,526 times
Your concerns about the subway are not realistic. Apart from Lower Manhattan, most of the streets in Manhattan are numbered so it is quite easy to find your way around. I might add that I have worked newly arrived immigrants for over 25 years, many of whom do not speak English well, and most of them manage to get where they need to go. You will, too.

What I would be concerned about is the cost of the tuition at Columbia University. Are there grants or scholarships available to you? Manhattan rents are high, but you could cut costs by finding an apt. in the Bronx in a decent area. For the most part, public transportation is excellent, so you should be able to do without a car. Factor in those savings.

If you are looking for quiet and hospitality, NYC is not the place. But if you want to meet bright, dynamic people and have the city to explore, you might be happy here.

You can ask for directions on the street. New Yorkers are helpful in their direct way. Just don't expect a prolonged conversation. They will be quick and to the point.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 PM

222 posts, read 714,526 times
Your concerns about the subway are not realistic. Apart from Lower Manhattan, most of the streets in Manhattan are numbered so it is quite easy to find your way around. I might add that I have newly arrived immigrants for over 25 years, many of whom do not speak English well, and most of them manage to get where they need to go. You will, too.

What I would be concerned about is the cost of the tuition at Columbia University. Are there grants or scholarships available to you? Manhattan rents are high, but you could cut costs by finding an apt. in the Bronx in a decent area. For the most part, public transportation is excellent, so you should be able to do without a car. Factor in those savings.

If you are looking for quiet and hospitality, NYC is not the place. But if you want to meet bright, dynamic people and have the city to explore, you might be happy here.

You can ask for directions on the street. New Yorkers are helpful in their direct way. Just don't expect a prolonged conversation. They will be quick and to the point.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiawoolf View Post
Oh, I'd prefer living with roommates actually. Apologies if I did not specify that. I'm not extremely high maintenance--I'm planning on living modestly and sleeping on the floor with a mattress. I just don't want to live in grimy place with bugs/roaches and I know you can't be too picky with NYC.
With my school schedule + required field work, I don't think I will have time for a job.
Bugs and Roaches are in just about every apartment. Yes even $3000 a month studios.
I read your above choices for schools, look more into UCLA. Great school, cleaner area, slower pace of life, "nicer" people.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Since you are looking at graduate programs, you need to go with one that is the best fit for you. Do you know which one has mentors most closely tied to what you want to study/your area of focus? Or is it all pretty much the same?

How big of a concern is money to you? Will it bother you if you need to take out major loans in a less-than-lucrative field? Are you entering a doctoral program with they have tuition remission? If yes, then I would be less concerned. If no, I would think about it some more. My husband's co-worker completed her M.F.A. there and regretted it because she put herself in over 100K of debt, didn't get the dream job she was going for and with her loan payments over $500/month, she said she regrets it everyday. That kind of debt bothers some people, it surely eats away at her, whereas others seem not to care.

The subway is very easy to navigate and there are maps everywhere. It's pretty easy to find your way if you're ever lost so that's not even a problem. A friend of mine from CA also was accepted into Columbia (M.S./Social Work) but decided that based on how much social workers make, it was not worth the price tag.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Well, what graduate program did you get accepted into? What are you looking to do career wise?

Columbia has dorms and all.

As for roaches, please, they have giant flying roaches in the south. Don't pretend the south is bug or roach free, roaches are even worse there.

And the south isn't rodent free either. If you do get pests in your place, tell the super and/or go to the hardware store and seal how they are getting in.

You got into two big schools, UPenn and Columbia and getting accepted at such places could completely take your career to another level. Why are you giving people the power to destroy what you've worked for, by letting them tell you to stay in a small town?

For the record, I've known drunks, drug addicts, and other scum in small southern towns too. Don't pretend everyone is cool there.

Now if Columbia wants you to take out massive loans, and you feel that isn't a good investment (particularly in fields that you stand a good chance of never recouping it), then I can completely understand if you don't go.

But if you are able to work out the finances, I think its foolish to let your chances of attending top institutions (UPenn or Columbia) go away because of your fears, and because you let jealous, embittered people without any opportunity help you in your self sabotage.

I would say think about which school can give you the best deal, particularly between UPenn and Columbia, and make your decision along those lines.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, what graduate program did you get accepted into? What are you looking to do career wise?

Columbia has dorms and all.

As for roaches, please, they have giant flying roaches in the south. Don't pretend the south is bug or roach free, roaches are even worse there.

And the south isn't rodent free either. If you do get pests in your place, tell the super and/or go to the hardware store and seal how they are getting in.

You got into two big schools, UPenn and Columbia and getting accepted at such places could completely take your career to another level. Why are you giving people the power to destroy what you've worked for, by letting them tell you to stay in a small town?

For the record, I've known drunks, drug addicts, and other scum in small southern towns too. Don't pretend everyone is cool there.

Now if Columbia wants you to take out massive loans, and you feel that isn't a good investment (particularly in fields that you stand a good chance of never recouping it), then I can completely understand if you don't go.

But if you are able to work out the finances, I think its foolish to let your chances of attending top institutions (UPenn or Columbia) go away because of your fears, and because you let jealous, embittered people without any opportunity help you in your self sabotage.

I would say think about which school can give you the best deal, particularly between UPenn and Columbia, and make your decision along those lines.
Thanks for your thoughts; really appreciate it. I am deciding between Penn and Columbia, actually. Columbia's program is a little bit more expensive but what really separates the two is the cost of living. NYC/Morningside Heights estimated cost is substantially more expensive than Philly. Yes, I would have to take out federal loans to fund everything. If money wasn't an issue, I'd choose Columbia in a heart beat. Counting every dime and nickel certainly makes the grinds of NYC a lot more difficult--which is why I came to the forum. Is Columbia and NYC worth all of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: