Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 13,712 times

Advertisements

Hello out there,
I recently got accepted into a masters program at Columbia, and am planning on starting this fall -- giving me four months to pack up from the other side of the country and head on out to NY. I have some questions I was hoping you New Yorkers might be able to help me out with --

My budget is pretty tight. My partner and I are moving out with our dog, and realistically our budget is capped at $1600/month (small one bedroom, nothin fancy). I could really only stretch to $1600 if it maybe included utilities also. From all the forums I've been reading, this is supposedly delusional to think I will find something for this price, but through searching padmapper, craigslist, renthop, etc. it seems like there are places in this price range in Harlem, Morningside Heights and some other upper Manhattan neighborhoods. Am I being crazy to think this might actually work? Are these magical mystery cheap apartments that I'm seeing all cheap because they are scams?

I've heard commuting to Columbia from Brooklyn is sort of a pain. Is this just because of the amount of time it will take? Or are there other factors that make it difficult? Any personal experience with doing this would be great!

Also, for all you dog owners out there, how hard is it to find a place that allows dogs? (he's under 30 lbs if that helps). What are some good neighborhoods to live in for owning a dog? It'd be great if there were some off leash parks anyone knows of where he could romp around within walking distance.

Has anyone had experience living in family housing at Columbia? How difficult is it to get a space in one of those buildings? Again, any personal experiences would be very helpful.

Pretty much any information anyone has on finding a place would be great. Suggestions on websites to look, landlords to call, etc. (other than craigslist, I've exhausted that one). Also, how soon can I start looking for a place in September? Are places showing right now for September move-ins?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and wary of moving out to the big city. I've lived in Northern NJ for a large chunk of my life, so I'm pretty familiar with the city -- just never lived there and it's hard to negotiate these things from 3000 miles away. Thanks interneters!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,022 times
I just made the cross country move and know how you feel.

I'm here to tell you it will work out. I found a place in Brooklyn for $1500 a month in three days... Decent size studio, great neighborhood, good condition. I prowled the sites to find it, saw it by noon within 12 hours of posting and applied on the spot. The rental market is a little crazy.

For reference, from my place in Park Slope, it would take probably 45-60 minutes to get to Columbia. It's a hike. There are great neighborhoods closer. I have a friend in Hamilton Heights but even there they pay $1800 for a one bedroom.

Be aware that you need first month and a month security deposit. You'll end up with a brokers fee or last month's rent. Come prepared to put down three months rent on signing.

It doesn't make sense to look much before the move, other than to get a sense of price. Craigslist is full of scams, you see the same apartments over and over. Streeteasy is good, and on nybits.com you can find no fee apartments.

Good luck. Congrats on getting in to grad school.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 PM

42 posts, read 169,593 times
Long as you Stay away from Harlem you'll be fine. You'll gt mugged or even worse, murdered.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 PM

241 posts, read 592,184 times
My favorite is streeteasy.com

The dog will make it more difficult, but if you're opened to outer boroughs, etc. and are willing to compromise a little, you may be able to find something.

I don't have personal experience. But I imagine that commute to Brooklyn is annoying because it's far. But if you could find a place along the right train line in Brooklyn, it may not be too bad. Aren't you a student? Wouldn't you have books you have to read?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:08 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,620,672 times
You have been misled. $1600 is a generous budget for a 1BR in upper Manhattan and will get you a nice big place in a good area. You want to be near the 1 train and west of Broadway. You shouldn't have any problems.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,787,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You have been misled. $1600 is a generous budget for a 1BR in upper Manhattan and will get you a nice big place in a good area. You want to be near the 1 train and west of Broadway. You shouldn't have any problems.
This is true. Connsider Hudson Heights and Inwood within these parameters. These aren't trendy neighborhoods but they're safe, clean and affordable, and an easy commute toColumbia on the 1 train of maybe 30 minutes.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,086,896 times
Worry about Columbia expenses...

If you can borrow a little more money and try to get a place in/near morningside.

If you dont have to work outside the Columbia Area, think you'll save $100 a month for metrocard.
For two people that adds up and you're able to afford a better place and save HOURS a day on commuting.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,521,072 times
I live 3 stops north of Columbia, west of Broadway, for way less than $1,600 for my decent sized one bedroom. You can do it pretty easily. Door to door, the commute would be about 20 minutes max.

It's pretty early to start looking for September rentals. I left New York a couple of years ago for California briefly, then moved back to New York. I didn't do any real apartment searching until I got back here and was crashing on a friends couch for a few days. I had found my new apartment and signed the lease in just a few days.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 PM

77 posts, read 149,508 times
Are you not eligible for Columbia UAH? I think it covers all graduate and professional programs. They subsidize housing costs pretty significantly.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,831 times
I have a two bedroom in the 120s for $1800 and its a big two bedroom, you will be fine with a $1600 budget.
Also dont be scared to look at areas like fredrick douglas blvd and the 1-teens and 1-20s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City