Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,950 times

Advertisements

Adding another comment to actually answer some of the OP's questions.

-Unfortunately, you will have to wait until early to mid August before any listings show up for Sept. 1. When it gets to be that time, craigslist and padmapper are good resources. You'll also get in touch with brokers that way, and they may be able to help.

-Do not commute from Brooklyn unless you're willing to spend up to three hours on the train every day (seriously).

-You should definitely try to come out here to look at apartments in person.

-The "nicest" area of upper Manhattan is probably the section of Washington Heights north of 181st and west of Broadway (sometimes called Hudson Heights). Problem is it's a bit of a hike from the 1 train.

Close second would be Inwood west of Broadway and north of Isham Park--better 1 train access and significantly cheaper. If you want to go elsewhere in Manhattan to socialize it's pretty inconvenient though, since the 1 is local all the way to 96th where you have to switch.

The area around the 168th St. stop, west of Broadway, is also a good option, with both A and 1 train access.

Beyond that, I'd say any place west of Broadway is OK. The only area that feels somewhat shady to me is the lower 150s. Also you don't want to be right on Broadway between 122nd and 135th because the train becomes elevated--very loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 13,694 times
Default Thank you!!

Thank you for all your replies. This is really helpful, and it's a huge relief to know that apartments aren't as expensive as I've been told. As far as the "west of Broadway" suggestion, does that mean that tiny sliver between Broadway and the Hudson River? Is east of Broadway a little sketchier or is it just more difficult to commute from?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM

77 posts, read 149,402 times
It's a little sketchier. North of 168th, you'd have to walk across Broadway to catch the 1 (the 1 is really convenient because it drops you off on Broadway right next to campus), but taking the A train is also an option -- it'll drop you off east of the campus by Morningside Park, so you'd have to walk up/through that (maybe a 10 minute walk).

Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 33,622 times
Columbia used to offer apartments to students that were owned by Columbia. People from out of state received priority. Brooklyn is not at all convenient. The area near Columbia west of broadway between 100th and 120th is very convenient. Students often sublet apartments for the summer. I went to business school there but it was a while ago. At that time they had a housing office.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 PM

77 posts, read 149,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbsearching View Post
Columbia used to offer apartments to students that were owned by Columbia. People from out of state received priority. Brooklyn is not at all convenient. The area near Columbia west of broadway between 100th and 120th is very convenient. Students often sublet apartments for the summer. I went to business school there but it was a while ago. At that time they had a housing office.
They still do!

Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM

32 posts, read 46,756 times
Default Knock it off with the KKK stuff, you moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanLover View Post
Long as you Stay away from Harlem you'll be fine. You'll gt mugged or even worse, murdered.
I notice you didn't warn them about the skinhead gangs roaming Williamsburg. You don't know this poster's skin color. They could be black or Jewish. So will you knock it off with the racism and keep your personal retardation to yourself? Signed, the rest of us New Yorkers

Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
I'm a black person who is always in Williamsburg and there are no skinhead gangs there . Williamsburg even has a big Jewish section. Stop spreading LIES. Ditto for the person who said you'll be mugged in Harlem, which was a ****ty thing to say as Columbia is in Harlem/Morningside Heights.

As for housing near Columbia, you can easily find one bedroom apartments in Inwood for $1100, so a two bedroom will be pretty affordable. You'll just have to take the 1 train a few stops to get there. Inwood is definitely safe and quiet.

Harlem has some nice apartments near Columbia, but I'm not sure of their price range. But definitely the parts near Columbia are safe. Parts of Central Harlem can be sketchy.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Ditto for the person who said you'll be mugged in Harlem, which was a ****ty thing to say as Columbia is in Harlem/Morningside Heights.

As for housing near Columbia, you can easily find one bedroom apartments in Inwood for $1100, so a two bedroom will be pretty affordable. You'll just have to take the 1 train a few stops to get there. Inwood is definitely safe and quiet.

Harlem has some nice apartments near Columbia, but I'm not sure of their price range. But definitely the parts near Columbia are safe. Parts of Central Harlem can be sketchy.
There are muggings in Harlem every day. And into the night. Including FDB, the so-called "fully gentrified" section. It is vastly over-priced to live there. Why bother ?

Columbia is not in Harlem. Columbia is in Morningside Heights. Harlem has no apartments near Columbia unless you mean ... in Harlem. Morningside heights is a very different and quite a bit more expensive neighborhood.

Central Harlem is sketchy. Period. There are major quality-of-life issues. People will differ. Help yourself.

You might try Manhattanville, but NOT St. Nicholas Terrace, which is somehow everything bad about Central Harlem concentrated. The people seldom move west in their fun, so Convent is okay, Broadway and Amsterdam can be - but they vary, mostly in relation to the projects. I heard that some buildings on St. Nicholas Terrace around 129th were looking up quite a bit so this may be changing. It might be true because there were recent real estate transactions - big ones - which means change.

Inwood is not near Columbia, if you mean the main campus. Moreover, the A-train is the usual train to Inwood and it does not stop so near to Columbia.

Regarding Columbia housing: All of the people with whom I was in school told me that off-campus housing was far better, Columbia options being too expensive, smaller, and often involving roommates. Also, when you finish, they expect you to vacate immediately. It is probably just easier for out-of-town people.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenslyn Person View Post
I notice you didn't warn them about the skinhead gangs roaming Williamsburg. You don't know this poster's skin color. They could be black or Jewish. So will you knock it off with the racism and keep your personal retardation to yourself? Signed, the rest of us New Yorkers

Retardation is a terrible term to use when describing someone that you think may be ignorant or an idiot, even if that person is an absolute jerk. Using that term really seems to degrade those unfortunates which have been afflicted with that condition.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Both the 1 and the A go to Inwood. There is a transfer point between the 1 and the A at 168th street.

I don't know where the OP will an apartment that suits his/her needs at a price he/she can afford to pay.

Basically, come here yourself and look at the apartments and make your own judgement. There is no theft or crime free neighborhood in NYC or in the world for that matter. With that said, Harlem is far from the worst neighborhood in the city in terms of crime. There are people who see neighborhoods with a lot of people of color and categorically declare them unsafe. I lived in East Harlem, on 100th street, and I never had any problem with people on the street. I was there for two years and I liked it. I got a better deal elsewhere, but there was never anything wrong with that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City