Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM

35 posts, read 57,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I would actually rent at first if I were you. Picking a neighborhood can be a big decision and renting can help you have time to actually learn about the neighborhoods, especially if you've never lived in NYC before. My husband and I went to open houses and researched listings for almost 2 years before we finally found a place we wanted to buy- and we are from NYC.
My husband and I did something similar before buying. Even though I grew up in my current neighborhood, my husband is not from the area and while I love it here, I wanted him to be comfortable here as well. Luckily the neighborhood grew on him and we decided to settle down here permanently and buy so that we can raise our two boys in a nice family oriented community.

I think the op should rent for a little while at least. They are in their 20s and so there is no huge rush to buy anything. Rent for a year or two and research for a place to buy during that time this way they can take their time and go at their own pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,559,753 times
lol wow can’t take a joke lol

Moreover she said Manhattan in the title as in just the Big Apple. For the record, half of you repeated what I said in more detail or just wrote crap.

"you can live anywhere"
"houses in NYC appreciate"
"it's a good investment"

“35 years later” refers to how most people tend to move out of the city once they settle down. Who are any of you to criticize lol? Most of you can't even read or tell that "M" stood for million Now that is just sad yet she seriously is posting here and taking advice. That should be a red flag not only to her, but anyone else reading this thread.

Lastly, thread does sound like a joke because it's common sense not to ask these types of questions here. In order to get a proper answer you need to know the following and this just top of my head:

What does your lawyer say?
What type of loan are you getting?
Your credit score?
Appraisal value?
Taxes?
Do you qualify at all (income-expenses-taxes)?
Are you willing to be in a democracy aka follow rules?
Do you trust the developers?
Can I add a patio or manipulate the property I will own?
Are pets allowed?
What are the xyz by-laws?
Fees?
HOA or Professional?
How much money in the reserved fund?
Special assessments?
Lawsuits recently?
Rental policy?
How many own/rent?
etc.

The list goes on. Thread IS a joke and IS meant to be made fun of. It is near IMPOSSIBLE to answer her question without knowing all the facts. Hence why you hardly got any serious reponses at all Mrs. OP. What is she or I should say he is willing to do and not do us the public do not know. Moreover, it’s clear as day who in the relationship is calling the shots because a person with 6 million to blow definitely has "more money in the bank" and is not stupid enough to ask about living conditions on a forum. He will go ask one of his broker friends, lawyer, real estate agent, or get a complete and sound decision from an appraiser.

If you OP like reading BS guesses or half assed random responses that may or may not relate to your wants and needs, by all means go ahead.

Case closed

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM

371 posts, read 626,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
a person with 6 million to blow definitely has "more money in the bank" and is not stupid enough to ask about living conditions on a forum. He will go ask one of his broker friends, lawyer, real estate agent, or get a complete and sound decision from an appraiser.
Exactly! That's why the OP received sarcastic responses- because this thread is a joke. No one with that kind of money would decide where to spend $6M based off of answers on a message board.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,004,205 times
I think OP got sarcasm because she's richer at age 25 than most anyone else here regardless of their age.

Easy come, easy go. The idea not to rely on msg board advice can apply to any question. Nothing to lose posting it, dont have to follow it, nothing to lose answering.

Long as we are on the subject, there is a funny perception people know how the rich can or should act. Trusts, lawyers, etc. someone with 1.5m+ who wants to buy 6m place in an unknown city- how do you want them to act?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaRicci1 View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I are most likely moving to New York City in the near future. We are mid 20's, and will be both working in the financial district. Our budget is about 6M. Which neighborhoods should you suggest that are safe and not too boring for a young couple?
Thank you!
Julia
Where are you moving from?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
I think OP got sarcasm because she's richer at age 25 than most anyone else here regardless of their age.

Easy come, easy go. The idea not to rely on msg board advice can apply to any question. Nothing to lose posting it, dont have to follow it, nothing to lose answering.

Long as we are on the subject, there is a funny perception people know how the rich can or should act. Trusts, lawyers, etc. someone with 1.5m+ who wants to buy 6m place in an unknown city- how do you want them to act?
Not for nothing, but if I had 6M to blow and for example I wanted to live in LA - I have a pretty good idea of where to go without ever having being there. I think this is what most people are astounded by.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,449,688 times
The forum exists to solicit opinions from people who know more about a given neighborhood or city, regardless of price point.

What's the point in expending energy to be rude or sarcastic? Let it go. If you don't want to respond to the thread as written, then don't respond.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM

241 posts, read 373,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The forum exists to solicit opinions from people who know more about a given neighborhood or city, regardless of price point.

What's the point in expending energy to be rude or sarcastic? Let it go. If you don't want to respond to the thread as written, then don't respond.
This.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaRicci1 View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I are most likely moving to New York City in the near future. We are mid 20's, and will be both working in the financial district. Our budget is about 6M. Which neighborhoods should you suggest that are safe and not too boring for a young couple?
Thank you!
Julia
You might check out the UWS. The housing inventory up there is a little limited these days, but there are a number of new luxury apartments for sale going up in your price range. 101 West 87 is selling really well, for example:

[url=http://www.101w87.com]New Luxury Manhattan Condos & Apartments on the Upper West Side NYC[/url]

Don't know if kids are on the horizon, but many of the buildings have family-friendly apartments and proximity to the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: