Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 AM

12 posts, read 55,587 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I am going to start a job in the West Village in November and I could certainly use some advice on where to live.

My two biggest concerns are commute and safety. I am moving from DC so I am somewhat "street smart", but I've lived in the area my whole life so I know what streets to avoid at what times. NYC would be a completely new experience for me. I understand that crime happens everywhere, but as I will generally be traveling and living by myself (early 20's female) I want to be as safe as possible. Also, I don't want my commute on public transportation (I'm leaving the car at home) to be more than 30 minutes. In fact I'd like less than 20, but I don't want to rule out Brooklyn.

I would love an area that is fun and lively, but not too loud. As in, restaurants and shops across the street would be great, night clubs, not so much. A neighborhood with an artsy, bohemian feel would be great, but I'm not sure how many of those are still left. I don't want to live anywhere white-washed and pretentious.

I'm not too concerned about building amenities. A laundry on-site would be nice, but it's not that big of a deal to me. My budget is pretty flexible. I can contribute $2k, but my parents have been gracious enough to offer contribution so that I can make sure I'm in a safe area since I am also in school and my funds are limited. My job will contribute as well, but I am not sure of the details yet. So recommended neighborhoods with what I can expect to pay for a studio or one bedroom would be fantastic. If you could tell me what areas in that neighborhood to avoid (if there are any) or which ones to seek out that would be extra fantastic.

I've done my fair share of research, but this is also somewhat opinion based and I'd love to read the opinions of some of the locals. Thanks so much for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Search hard and you may be able to find a studio in the West Village or vicinity for $2k. Definitely at the $2.5k range. It's a fun area and VERY SAFE.

You could definitely find a place in the East 20's or East Village. Just stay west of Ave A in the East Village to be uber safe. This area is more funky, bohemian, but also safe. East 20's is not the most exciting area, but a quick walk to Union Square, East Village, etc.

Chelsea is a good option. Stay along 7th-8th Aves to be in the safest part of the area. Not saying the rest of these neighborhoods arent safe, but you seem pretty nervous, so these are the most populated, most busy parts of these neighborhoods.

Don't live in Brooklyn if you can avoid it. Nice place, but no need to go there if you can afford Manhattan and be closer to work.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 55,587 times
Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I'm probably coming off rather paranoid (and maybe I am a bit), but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. This information will help a lot. Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
I agree with TurtleCreek - definitely stay in the Village!

I pay $2,200 for a real one bedroom on a prime street in the West Village, so you'll have no problem finding what you're looking for. The neighborhood definitely has the feel that you're looking for - lots of great cafes, mom-and-pop specialty stores, etc. It's also pretty quiet at night, unless you're right on West 4th or one of the streets that has a ton of bars, but most are primarily residential.

Good luck in your search! Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Dear ExtraCelestial,

I am a Real Estate Agent in NYC. Feel free to email me, and I can surely find what your looking for if you like. Email: [email]Hans@mmgnyc.com[/email] Best of Wishes.

Hans D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City