Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 AM

182 posts, read 511,773 times

Advertisements

Hey!!! I just found this forum, and it is great! A+++++
I must say, it has given me a lot of info...

So I'm absolutely enamored with New York City, and I'm planning on moving out there sometime after I graduate next spring (May '10). Right now, I'm just in the gathering info stage. I know I can look on websites for info, but I want to hear from the people that live there since you are the ones that can provide the best info.

Definitely willing to have a roommate(s). Preferably, I'd like to be in Manhattan somewhere, but I know it can be costly, so I could settle for another borough. I want to be somewhere like a 30 minute train ride or less to Manhattan. Preferably less than 30 minutes...I'll be a young professional, so I'm looking for a neighborhood that I will fit into and will be able to meet others like me.

From limited research, I've found some neighborhoods that look intriguing...it would be great if you guys could comment on these neighborhoods or add other suggestions too! Thanks so much!

Manhatten:
-Seems like anywhere in the mid-southern area is vibrant...?
-And Harlem is looking to be on the rise...might be a good place to get into now?

Brooklyn:
-Cobble Hill
-Carroll Gardens
-Park Slope
-DUMBO
-Greenpoint
-Williamsburg
-Brooklyn Heights
-Fort Greene
-Clinton Hill

Queens:
-Astoria
-Long Island City
-Sunnyside
-Woodside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The neighborhoods that you mentioned in Queens are all close to Manhattan. Probably the best one (of the ones you listed) for a young professional is Astoria.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 AM

46 posts, read 166,206 times
You've got a good list there, but I have some suggestions:

Only choose Harlem if you know it well - easy to go wrong. Fort Greene has got some rough areas close to the projects, also don't go too far east in Clinton Hill.

Long Island City is a good choice, especially the southernmost part (Hunters Point). As is Astoria, and Sunnyside is also good. Woodside not bad either.

Greenpoint is nice but unfortunately inconveniently located with regards to getting to/from Manhattan.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
West Village in Manhattan is what you should shoot for. Great neighborhood! The best... but pricey obviously. From there, you can consider the Upper West, Upper East, even Hells Kitchen is buzzing these days (don't let the name deter you).

For a quieter/ cheaper alternative... there is an area of Washington Heights called Hudson Heights. Still Manhattan, but VERY North. Nice area.... as a new grad, you may want a little more action than this hood offers (but maybe not... which is why I mention).

Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 AM

120 posts, read 438,746 times
east village, LES are young, vibrant areas - not to mention cheaper.
Murray Hill is also another young area.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM

would it be unreasonable to think I can get a 2 BR for like $1,200 per person ($2,400 total) in those areas (LES, east village)?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 AM

120 posts, read 438,746 times
check out the most recent manhattan rental report:
Manhattan Rental Market Report | The Real Estate Group New York | TREGNY

average non-doorman 2bdrm for e village and LES are $2900 / $3100 respectively. I wouldn't think $2400 is out of the question - but it may take some digging and compromising on space. Also - you can always do a 1 bdrm convert.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferer View Post
you can always do a 1 bdrm convert.
what is this?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
would it be unreasonable to think I can get a 2 BR for like $1,200 per person ($2,400 total) in those areas (LES, east village)?
Yes, it's unreasonable. And don't forget utilities...

Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM

my goodness, it's def. expensive.

i guess i can pose the same question...would it be reasonable to think i could get a 2 BR in the areas mentioned in my original post in Queens and BK for that same $1,200 a person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City