Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

Most neighborhoods with $6 million homes are pretty safe. Crackheads rarely spend more than $3 million on an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
People are lame on this board- they laugh at everyone who shows some excitement but don't have enough money to live in Manhattan and tell them so; then someone with more money than they do shows up and here comes the sarcasm.

Let this f board be what makes it good - honest advice without presumption or assumption.
Thank you! It's seems to others I've come across as obnoxious, which was not my intention.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Can't wait till they turn 35 and realize how stupid their investment was lol
Well the one good thing about NYC homes, no matter how small, is that they always appreciate

Always another sucker around the corner so yeah if you got the cash blow it up. We need more rich people to spend instead of hoarding cash and giving handouts.
Thanks for your opinion, but we feel we are financially stable enough to buy our own home. I don't see why the snarky reply was necessary when I just asked for neighborhood suggestions.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM

912 posts, read 2,101,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaRicci1 View Post
Thanks for your opinion, but we feel we are financially stable enough to buy our own home. I don't see why the snarky reply was necessary when I just asked for neighborhood suggestions.
Mott Haven is charming

Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,655,794 times
@op, you never clarify what "6M" is.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
@op, you never clarify what "6M" is.
Six million

Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,002,200 times
Seems like you should buy a loft in Tribeca or new construc in Chelsea.
For neighborhood flavor, Gramercy Park or West Village.

Best of luck. streeteasy is the best site for real estate self shopping in Manh

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
An area that would work for you as a married couple and with children would be TriBeCa and SoHo. You can get a larger/ more contemporary apartment in Lower Manhattan for a similar price point to the UES or UWS, although you can find view properties in your range on the UES and UWS, city and Central Park. The UES and UWS tend to be a bit more established, however, in terms of family, and a slightly older married demographic, and are not as vibrant as some other areas of the city. I would also agree with the West Village and Greenwich Village, especially some of the newer buildings. Your budget can work for Sutton Place, but it's a very quiet area, and likely not what you're seeking, unless you want neighbors closer to your parents/grandparents in age.

If you wanted something more along the lines of a brownstone, I would look to Brooklyn as it would be difficult to find a brownstone/townhouse that did not require renovations, or was divided into apartments, and was located in a prime Manhattan neighborhood. You can find some maisonettes in your price range, however, that offer a townhouse-like experience, though without amenities like doormen, parking, etc.

If you wanted a single-family home that would necessitate a look into Queens, Brooklyn, or Riverdale in The Bronx. That would only work if you wanted a quiet enclave that is somewhat removed from the city.

Realistically, you can find an apartment in any prime neighborhood in Manhattan, though the size and amenities will vary. If you liked a pre-war feel, but UWS, and did not want a co-op for the hassles of ownership/renovations/politics of the board, you could check into a building like The Apthorp that was converted to a condo, yet still retains the Pre-War detailing. It's one of a handful of buildings that has appeal to those who would only consider the UES or CPW, but would be horrendous if you wanted to live in a Gehry or Meier building (though Gehry's 8 Spruce Street is a rental). Philip Johnson's Urban Glass House in SoHo is another modernist statement building, and it's condo, but the drawback is the DSNY garbage truck garage under construction across from the property, which has caused units to sit on the market.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,544,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Can't wait till they turn 35 and realize how stupid their investment was lol
Well the one good thing about NYC homes, no matter how small, is that they always appreciate

Always another sucker around the corner so yeah if you got the cash blow it up. We need more rich people to spend instead of hoarding cash and giving handouts.
I just turned 38 and realized my condo in prime dumbo is the best investment i ever made. Prime NYC real estate did not crash like the rest of the country. You just keep renting and paying your landlords mortgage while you own nothing, build no equity and have no mortgage interest deduction.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,585,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaRicci1 View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I are most likely moving to New York City in the near future. We are mid 20's, and will be both working in the financial district. Our budget is about 6M. Which neighborhoods should you suggest that are safe and not too boring for a young couple?
Thank you!
Julia

I would actually rent at first if I were you. Picking a neighborhood can be a big decision and renting can help you have time to actually learn about the neighborhoods, especially if you've never lived in NYC before. My husband and I went to open houses and researched listings for almost 2 years before we finally found a place we wanted to buy- and we are from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: