Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Look at all the residential construction and conversions in Midtown for instance. Even the financial district.

People want to live closer to work and play. Mix it all together. Districts are an idea of the past. Mixed use is the way to go.

Live-Work-Play-Produce. All within walking distance.
That is very true, though I will say I wish that silver tower that was built on Flatbush was over 750ft cause that would of been a cool signature tower for the Brooklyn skyline. Which I think the best view of the Brooklyn skyline is from the F train at Smith and 9th over Gowanus. I have been commuting that way for my new job and just loving that view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasitius View Post
When are they gonna finally put something WTC sized in Brooklyn? It makes me really angry.
Why? The demand isn't quite there yet. It'll be at least 5 years, if not a decade before supertalls become economically feasible in Brooklyn. The days of building tall just for the sake of building tall are long gone in NYC. In way, its for the better. This way we get supertalls that will actually be filled, rather than sit empty for decades like the Empire State Building, or years like when the original WTC first opened.

Personally I'm quite happy LIC still has the tallest building outside of Mahattan, I hope LIC gets a supertall before Brooklyn.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Personally I'm quite happy LIC still has the tallest building outside of Mahattan, I hope LIC gets a supertall before Brooklyn.
The current buildings in downtown Brooklyn that are under construction are only 90ft shorter than One Court Square in LIC and Brooklyn is only going to build higher.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The current buildings in downtown Brooklyn that are under construction are only 90ft shorter than One Court Square in LIC and Brooklyn is only going to build higher.
I will be happy when the current tallest in Brooklyn gets passed by, it is such a bland, generic building.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM

106 posts, read 183,693 times
Hey everyone stay tuned to my Channel: QUEENSNY121 - YouTube more videos to come possibly tommorow if ya love One World Trade Center progress and possible for the weekend weather permiting.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Why? The demand isn't quite there yet. It'll be at least 5 years, if not a decade before supertalls become economically feasible in Brooklyn. The days of building tall just for the sake of building tall are long gone in NYC. In way, its for the better. This way we get supertalls that will actually be filled, rather than sit empty for decades like the Empire State Building, or years like when the original WTC first opened.

I don't see Brooklyn or Queens ever getting anything that would rival an empire state building or WTC. It just won't happen, the demand isn't there and won't be there. Either one might get more office buildings, but not on that scale.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,741 times
If anything really tall gets built in Downtown Brooklyn, it'll be residential. That market is too hot to pass up, while office is meh at best.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
If anything really tall gets built in Downtown Brooklyn, it'll be residential. That market is too hot to pass up, while office is meh at best.
Soon the top three tallest buildings in Brooklyn will be residential.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't see Brooklyn or Queens ever getting anything that would rival an empire state building or WTC. It just won't happen, the demand isn't there and won't be there. Either one might get more office buildings, but not on that scale.
Quote:

Actually:

City Tech Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost, but soon!

And back to the original topic:

Credit: NYGuy/Skyscraperpage

Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Actually:

City Tech Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost, but soon!

And back to the original topic:

Credit: NYGuy/Skyscraperpage
City Tech was cancelled. And it was really an 800 footer plus an antenna, not a super-tall like One WTC or the ESB. Like I said, the demand isn't quite there yet. Both Downtown Brooklyn and LIC are building upwards, and maybe in another 5 years to a decade, a supertall might be feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City