Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:53 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
In the LES, the NYCHA properties line the East River. In East Harlem they are everywhere.
So what is your point? It gentrified and so will East Harlem.

Quote:
Your afriad of borded up buildings more then you are the people who commit the crimes...
LOL, you are funny. Of course I am afraid of people who commit crime, but I rather be in an area that are full of people, then some empty street with full of abandonment, where nobody can hear me and call the police. Plus criminals prefer to attack you when nobody is around. Are you aweare that most crimes happened really late at night when most people are sleeping? Oh I forgot you are a cop, you should know. LOL!

Quote:
I find it hard to belive you ever lived in a low income area but I will take your word for it.
I find it hard to believe you know alot about what is going on in East Harlem these days or that you are actually a cop, but I will take you word for it.

Quote:
A ghetto has little to do with abandoned buildings and more to do with social problems with a direct correlation to poverty.

As a matter fact everything you described, raped, screaming goes down in East Harlem in fact it is more common due to population density.
Believe it or not crime was higher in East Harlem when there used to be more abandonment and less people who wanted to walk in certain streets. Crime has gone dramatically down. Check the facts. Stop making things up.

Quote:
BTW, I have been to North Philly, Point Breeze and even Camden a number of times. I see very little difference between the realities on the streets of North Philly and East Harlem. It's the same old ****. In fact I see more struggle in East Harlem in terms of economics thanks to gentrification.
Yes, there is more struggle in East Harlem but less crime. So is not the same old ****.

Quote:
As for your relative, another one clueless to his surrounding as are most people.
Oh and you are a know it all. I see.

Quote:
Do you not understand that over 50% of East Harlem's population lives in the NYCHA PJ's. Another huge chunk live on gov't assistance. Be it city or federal and other bunch are living 2-3 families to one apartment in order to get by. That is a lot of people to get displaced, most won't. Those living in luxury condos and co-ops are a minority.

It's all real estate hype.
Yes and I repeat, they are less likely to have criminals living in there, criminals live close by in the non-housing projects and they choose to do the crime on the housing projects property because those buildings tend to have dark inside areas where the cops can't see them well from the street. Alot of those criminals eventually will get gentrify aswell. The area will one day feel like been on the Lower East Side. You will see. And yes it has to do with Real Estate.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Well obviously East Harlem will gentrify eventually. Maybe not soon but it will happen someday.
I used to think it would but when I really thought about it I changed my opinion. The housing market is on the verge of some big changes. It's gotton too high too early for East Harlem. East Harlem also has a large permanent population of low income people. A majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
You don't need to destroy the projects.....(see Fort Greene, Brooklyn, LES!)
Oh God, the funny (or not so) part is the Fort Greene PJ's are horrible and do effect the surrounding community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
So what is your point? It gentrified and so will East Harlem.
Oh boy here we go...

The NYCHA properties on the LES all line the East River. The area around the East River is the ghetto. There is a hell of a lot of drug activity and violent crime on those blocks. It also effects the blocks immidiately adjacent.

In East Harlem there are PJ's no more then every 2 city blocks. Everywhere. All over the neighborhood.

Quote:
LOL, you are funny. Of course I am afraid of people who commit crime, but I rather be in an area that are full of people, then some empty street with full of abandonment, where nobody can hear me and call the police. Plus criminals prefer to attack you when nobody is around. Are you aweare that most crimes happened really late at night when most people are sleeping? Oh I forgot you are a cop, you should know. LOL!
I don't find desolite areas to be very intimidating. If you see people it's immediately suspect.

I have much greater concern for areas with a lot of loitering. Considering most robberies (greatest risk) are crimes of opportunity. You might come across some *******s bored drunk and high who want to beat your ass for walking past their corner. Which will become a robbery when one of them snatches your phone.

Quote:
Believe it or not crime was higher in East Harlem when there used to be more abandonment and less people who wanted to walk in certain streets. Crime has gone dramatically down. Check the facts. Stop making things up.
That is not true.

First of all there is more overall crime then ever today, more people. However less drug dealers are getting killed due to the fact there are less extortion rings and competing. More customers. It's also become more lucrative and safer to sell then to extort, that wasnt the case in the late 80's and early 90's. This is why murder is down, you also have to consider advances in medicine.

Other violent crime stats are fudged, disappear, reclassified to misd and most are not reported to begin with in these low income areas. Some violent felony crimes are down compared to the crack era, but not as much as the city would like you to belive. The rates are still very high in low income sections of the city. In fact many crimes are on the rise. Robbery is a big one as we have a snatch epidemic in this city.

BTW, the bulk of the crime in East Harlem in the early 90's when there were many abandoned properties were not on bombed out blocks. They were on occupied tenement blocks and housing projects. Same as today.

Quote:
Yes, there is more struggle in East Harlem but less crime. So is not the same old ****.
It is the same old ****. Crime and economics are still huge problems in Harlem.

Quote:
Yes and I repeat, they are less likely to have criminals living in there, criminals live close by in the non-housing projects and they choose to do the crime on the housing projects property because those buildings tend to have dark inside areas where the cops can't see them well from the street. Alot of those criminals eventually will get gentrify aswell. The area will one day feel like been on the Lower East Side. You will see. And yes it has to do with Real Estate.
Criminals live everywhere not just the projects. Crime is commited all over East Harlem. In the streets, tenements, the brownstones, and the housing projects. Where did you get information that from? The reason why East Harlem has a high population of violent offenders is the economics situation. High poverty which leads to many social problems and end products like crime and prison.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:

The NYCHA properties on the LES all line the East River. The area around the East River is the ghetto. There is a hell of a lot of drug activity and violent crime on those blocks. It also effects the blocks immidiately adjacent.

In East Harlem there are PJ's no more then every 2 city blocks. Everywhere. All over the neighborhood.
If you want to call housing projects ghetto, then that is your defenition of what Ghetto is. To me a Ghetto is full of abandonment, graffity, people not wanting to live in such environment, which leads to abandonment, lots and lots of crime, not like the East Harlem crime rates these days. That is my defenetion of what a ghetto is. North Philadelphia, parts of Newark and Camden. Deffenetly Ghettos. East harlem of the 70's, 80's and 90's defently Ghetto. Today what you see is those housing projects that is all. Not a Ghetto. People might call it that, but is a big difference.

Quote:
I don't find desolite areas to be very intimidating. If you see people it's immediately suspect.
Well I do. Go live in North Philadelphia and see if you like it.

Quote:
I have much greater concern for areas with a lot of loitering. Considering most robberies (greatest risk) are crimes of opportunity. You might come across some *******s bored drunk and high who want to beat your ass for walking past their corner. Which will become a robbery when one of them snatches your phone.
I don't see alot of loitering in East Harlem belive it or not, I just don't. Go see North philadelphia. Crime of ooportunity still happens, but it does in alot of places in the city, even in Central park. The same drunk can beat you up, coming out from a chelsea club, I think there was a couple of stories of kids getting beat up lately in Chelsea as a matter of fact. Phone snatching can happen anywhere and even in the subway.

Quote:
First of all there is more overall crime then ever today, more people. However less drug dealers are getting killed due to the fact there are less extortion rings and competing. More customers. It's also become more lucrative and safer to sell then to extort, that wasnt the case in the late 80's and early 90's. This is why murder is down, you also have to consider advances in medicine.
If there were more people crime should be really high, not going down. There is less crime cause there are more jobs in the city and less drugs going around like back in the 90's. Advances in medecines? Well then that should keep the murder rate down in Philadelphia.

Quote:
Other violent crime stats are fudged, disappear, reclassified to misd and most are not reported to begin with in these low income areas. Some violent felony crimes are down compared to the crack era, but not as much as the city would like you to belive. The rates are still very high in low income sections of the city. In fact many crimes are on the rise. Robbery is a big one as we have a snatch epidemic in this city.
Oh yeah and you are a know it all. Ofcourse. Oh and dont post that stupid article that you had save in your hardrive from 2002. That is a long time ago. Keep up with the times.

Quote:
BTW, the bulk of the crime in East Harlem in the early 90's when there were many abandoned properties were not on bombed out blocks. They were on occupied tenement blocks and housing projects. Same as today.
People did commmit more crime closer to those abandon blocks. More drug activity, nobody could see anything, today is harder for selling drugs when there are too many eyes watching. Maybe at night is easier, when people are sleeping.

Quote:
It is the same old ****. Crime and economics are still huge problems in Harlem.
More people are working then they did back in the 70's when the crime started to go really up. Today is a different world. Not the same old ****.

Quote:
Criminals live everywhere not just the projects. Crime is commited all over East Harlem. In the streets, tenements, the brownstones, and the housing projects. Where did you get information that from? The reason why East Harlem has a high population of violent offenders is the economics situation. High poverty which leads to many social problems and end products like crime and prison.
This is what I say, I guess you can't read? Well read it again, I think I am very clear. The response...

Quote:

Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
If you want to call housing projects ghetto, then that is your defenition of what Ghetto is. To me a Ghetto is full of abandonment, graffity, people not wanting to live in such environment, which leads to abandonment, lots and lots of crime, not like the East Harlem crime rates these days. That is my defenetion of what a ghetto is. North Philadelphia, parts of Newark and Camden. Deffenetly Ghettos. East harlem of the 70's, 80's and 90's defently Ghetto. Today what you see is those housing projects that is all. Not a Ghetto. People might call it that, but is a big difference.
If the PJ's are not part of the ghetto then what are they?

An American ghetto by popular definition is a Black/Latin low income community, usually has an above average violent crime rate.

Sounds like the PJ's to me.

As for your defination. East Harlem still has a good amount of vacant buildings. East Harlem still has plenty of graffiti. East Harlem still has a lot of crime, the same amount of shootings and robberies per block has some of the hotter areas of Philly. Of course, last but not least 99% of East Harlemites would live somewhere better if possible.

Sounds like the ghetto to me...

Quote:
Well I do. Go live in North Philadelphia and see if you like it.
Been there, didn't like it. Reminds me of East Harlem.

Quote:
I don't see alot of loitering in East Harlem belive it or not, I just don't. Go see North philadelphia. Crime of ooportunity still happens, but it does in alot of places in the city, even in Central park. The same drunk can beat you up, coming out from a chelsea club, I think there was a couple of stories of kids getting beat up lately in Chelsea as a matter of fact. Phone snatching can happen anywhere and even in the subway.
East Harlem has a lot of loitering. I see it all the time. That's tenement life.

Those crimes mentioned are much more common in East Harlem then areas like Chelsea too.

Quote:
If there were more people crime should be really high, not going down. There is less crime cause there are more jobs in the city and less drugs going around like back in the 90's. Advances in medecines? Well then that should keep the murder rate down in Philadelphia.
Philly is in a different situation then NYC. In Philly, drug crews are taking each other out in record numbers again. The by product of a shrinking population. Also in Philly more areas are considered the ghetto then NYC. Many more Philadelphians live in ghetto circumstances today. In NYC, there is not as much extortion as the drug trade in flourishing. Another thing is the trade off. The sell vs extort risk. Then last but not least, NYC has been hitting drug crews very hard before they gain enough momentum to really cause damage. Which is why it's less risky to sell then extort in NYC.

Non murder violent crime rates in NYC's worst areas are virtually the same as the worst in Philly. That is factual information.

Quote:
Oh yeah and you are a know it all. Ofcourse. Oh and dont post that stupid article that you had save in your hardrive from 2002. That is a long time ago. Keep up with the times.
2002? That just happened this month...

Quote:
People did commmit more crime closer to those abandon blocks. More drug activity, nobody could see anything, today is harder for selling drugs when there are too many eyes watching. Maybe at night is easier, when people are sleeping.
FALSE.

Most stranger on stranger felony crimes are commited where there are a lot of people. The exceptions would be car theft and rape.

The busiest drug blocks HAVE THE MOST PEOPLE LOITERING.

Quote:
More people are working then they did back in the 70's when the crime started to go really up. Today is a different world. Not the same old ****.
Yeah your right, the unemployment rate as gone down compared to very hard economic times for the city overall. However what do these people do? They work at Starbucks in Midtown. They run the register at C-Town.

You live in a bubble man. You sound like a typical NYC fanboy. NYC is far from perfect and East Harlem is an undesireable neighborhood. Yes, the ghetto. Deal with it.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-21-2007 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM

For your information cyrusjul drug trafficking is a business open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The stuff is also sold where the customers are located, you know the people who do the drugs. This is why the busiest drug blocks are packed full of loiters. The dealers not only can better blend in, but the customers are right there. Typical street level drug dealers just hang out and as a bonus they make money selling narcotics.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-23-2007 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: deleted quote removed

Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 AM

216 posts, read 993,015 times
Quote:

funniest post i've ever read here.

thats what u call straight up clueless. lol

Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If the PJ's are not part of the ghetto then what are they?
They are housing projects, not a ghetto. Ghetto to me, is an area where people are trying to leave as soon as they can. An undesirable area. And I believe, these East Harlem housing projects are some of the most popular for people trying to get into. Sounds like they are in demand.

Quote:
An American ghetto by popular definition is a Black/Latin low income community, usually has an above average violent crime rate.
Not East Harlem. Yes alot of poor peole, but not alot of violent crime.

Quote:
Sounds like the PJ's to me.
Not to me.

Quote:
As for your defination. East Harlem still has a good amount of vacant buildings. East Harlem still has plenty of graffiti. East Harlem still has a lot of crime, the same amount of shootings and robberies per block has some of the hotter areas of Philly. Of course, last but not least 99% of East Harlemites would live somewhere better if possible.
East Harlem does not compare to Norht Philly. Not at all. Those vacant buildings you find in East Harlem today are about to be redevelop. In Nther Philly, they are about to be demolish anf it will eventually become an abandon lot for along time.

Quote:
Been there, didn't like it. Reminds me of East Harlem.
Oh now you have bee there? It does not look like East Harlem at all.

Quote:
East Harlem has a lot of loitering. I see it all the time. That's tenement life.

Those crimes mentioned are much more common in East Harlem then areas like Chelsea too.
I don't see it. I go there all the time. I have a friend that lives in there. Crime can happen in Chelsea aswell. I always look around when I am in Chealsea in the midle of the night on an empty street, like I do in East Harlem. Sure things can happen.

Quote:
Philly is in a different situation then NYC. In Philly, drug crews are taking each other out in record numbers again. The by product of a shrinking population. Also in Philly more areas are considered the ghetto then NYC. Many more Philadelphians live in ghetto circumstances today. In NYC, there is not as much extortion as the drug trade in flourishing. Another thing is the trade off. The sell vs extort risk. Then last but not least, NYC has been hitting drug crews very hard before they gain enough momentum to really cause damage. Which is why it's less risky to sell then extort in NYC.
I though you said that there is more crime in NYC because there are more people than Philly? Which is it? Yes there are more Ghetto areas than NYC in Philly. Alot of abandonment all over. So violent crime in NYC is less than that of Philly. Thank you for coming around.

Quote:
Non murder violent crime rates in NYC's worst areas are virtually the same as the worst in Philly. That is factual information.
Where are your facts that NYC crime is as worst than that of Philly? Per 100 people please.

Quote:
FALSE.
TRUE.

Quote:
Most stranger on stranger felony crimes are commited where there are a lot of people. The exceptions would be car theft and rape.

The busiest drug blocks HAVE THE MOST PEOPLE LOITERING.
OF COURSE SO IS IN TIMES SQUARE. LOL.

Quote:
Yeah your right, the unemployment rate as gone down compared to very hard economic times for the city overall. However what do these people do? They work at Starbucks in Midtown. They run the register at C-Town.
Well at least people are working. Keeps crime down.

Quote:
You live in a bubble man. You sound like a typical NYC fanboy. NYC is far from perfect and East Harlem is an undesireable neighborhood. Yes, the ghetto. Deal with it.
You live in a bubble of the 70's and 80's, I am a fan of NYC success, that is true. You sound like a wannabe gnagsta and not a cop. LOL. It is not undesirable, not to me, not to many more who will eventually move there. Deal with it.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
funniest post i've ever read here.

thats what u call straight up clueless. lol
Maybe is my wording, but why clueless? Doesn't most crime happen at night? Not too many people around? Even in the nicest areas?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Maybe is my wording, but why clueless? Doesn't most crime happen at night? Not too many people around? Even in the nicest areas?
my my you are quite naive! and you should consult a dictionary regarding ghetto, it might save you from making statements that make you seem to be clueless.
I know of towns in NJ that I refer to as affluent ghettos, or places like boro park that are hasidic ghettos.
instead of fighting, youshould allow yourself to be enriched by people who have different opinions and more expertise than you do

Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
my my you are quite naive! and you should consult a dictionary regarding ghetto, it might save you from making statements that make you seem to be clueless.
I know of towns in NJ that I refer to as affluent ghettos, or places like boro park that are hasidic ghettos.
instead of fighting, youshould allow yourself to be enriched by people who have different opinions and more expertise than you do
LOL! You guys are the funny ones. We are talking about crime ghettos. Of course I know ghettos can be said about many other situations. But that is not what is refer on this topic. And you and the others responding to me, are always the ones that praise Hustla over dramatic comments, so I am not surprice by your own answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City