Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
apvbguy what do you concider a ghetto? To me a ghetto tends to look half abandon (cause people really wants to leave) and full of too much crime. East Harlem is not full of too much crime. It used to be years ago. The biggest crime might be between stupid drug dealers and teenagers who shoot themselves for stupid reasons. Which happens once in a while, not every day. I, as a good citizen, will be unlikely to be killed in East Harlem or anywhere in New York for that matter.

If the fear of been robbed is the issue, well that is an issue in every neighborhood and in every city. One has to be aware of that fact. If someone lives in the Upper East Side and on 5th Avenue and walks late at night on a lonely street it doesn't gurantee that person will not get robbed because the neighborhood is too nice. I live in the Upper West Side in the 70's and I almost got robbed about 3 months ago on a lonely street late at night.
I think you kind of answered your own question. If you almost got robbed you likely were not in a real rough neighborhood, hence the west 70s of Manhattan. A lot of the people I grew up with/around and still know to this day that get down like that don't almost rob people. They are hungry and they come for what they want. Bad things can happen to you anywhere, but you are much more likely to get robbed in the hood. Police presence, "stop snitchin" and the mental intimidation that many minorities have for the caucasian/wealthy race is why you are highly unlikely to get robbed on the upper west side.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,502 times
Mmmm ok, but I am not 'White', I am hispanic. Maybe that is why they went after me. Minority intimidation.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:00 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Mmmm ok, but I am not 'White', I am hispanic. Maybe that is why they went after me. Minority intimidation.

I named three factors that make it unlikely you chose one of three. That is 33% my friend.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM

34,062 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Rats are everywhere in NYC. There are more rats than people, for real.

Walking at night about 2 am on 110th, you might see more than rats. But rats are ubiquitous, esp around new construction and garbage.

Also didnt' say when you were there.
a few years ago but in this instance i really dont think that matters.
east harlem (overall) is a low income dirty neighborhood with too much public housing. i dont care what new developments are going up...as of today october 16, 2007, east harlem is still the hood.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
A few years ago definitely matters. And once again, rats are everywhere esp at night. If you thought your life were in danger, why would you hang there at 2 am?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 AM

34,062 posts, read 47,260,557 times
i never said my life was in danger i just said there was a lot of rats.....for the record i was dropping somebody home after a date one night so it wasnt exactly hanging out, but thats besides the point. east harlem as of now october 17, 2007 is the hood.
no way around it. in a few years it MAY change....but as of today, it is what it is. why be in denial about a place you dont even live in?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
The OP will just have to decide for herself. If she is buying, it's an investment, and the risk and possible benefits are hers to determine. Why ask us at all? Resarch the internet, look at real estate sites, contact brokers, check out the hood before you sink major bucks into it. If you're going to live there rather than just invest, decide if you can take the heat or not til (and if) it "improves."

Shessh. Can't lead people by the hand. This stuff is easy enough tofind out. You will get completely contradictory answers on this forum. Too many people assume others will be able to help them make the "right"choice with no tradeoffs or risks. If it's worth it, educate yourself thoroughly. That's what the internet is for.

For the lowdown on NYC updated daily, try curbed.com and do a search for East Harlem. That's just for starters. Second, get your behind down there and judge for yourself.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times
^End Of Story!!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,397 times
Harlem will never acquire skyscrapers as seen downtown Manhattan. Tall buildings maybe, but none going 20 and 30 stories high. That is the beauty of Harlem, the neighborhood feel and vibe. Lastly, the local council and neighborhood activists have made sure that new buildings being built in Harlem cannot go over a certain height. They've wanted to do it over on 145th and 110th street and had to settle for buildings 10-12 stories and lower, probably more like 10 stories.

You want skyscrapers, stay downtown.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
Harlem will never acquire skyscrapers as seen downtown Manhattan. Tall buildings maybe, but none going 20 and 30 stories high. That is the beauty of Harlem, the neighborhood feel and vibe. Lastly, the local council and neighborhood activists have made sure that new buildings being built in Harlem cannot go over a certain height. They've wanted to do it over on 145th and 110th street and had to settle for buildings 10-12 stories and lower, probably more like 10 stories.

You want skyscrapers, stay downtown.
nothing like fighting off prosperity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City