Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,141,353 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to point out that there's an express bus that goes along the Grand Concourse (the BxM4), that might've also worked for you. It would've accepted a transfer from the subway, so you would only have to pay $3.25 instead of the full Metro-North fare.

But of course, when you're traveling to work in the morning, time is money, so you did the right thing by taking Metro-North.

I wonder how crowded the 7th Avenue Line would've been if you had walked across the Madison Avenue Bridge and caught the (2) or (3) at 135th Street instead (or if you had gone to 149th Street and then walked to the (3) station at 145th Street in Manhattan). That's the good thing about that part of The Bronx: There's easy connections to Upper Manhattan (there's also buses on those streets as well: The Bx33 & Bx19 respectively)

I'm a transit nut, and I have the basic layout of the bus & subway system in my mind (I know the general areas each route serves). That knowledge comes in handy in situations like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

5,167 posts, read 5,000,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Last summer when Hurricane Irene was bearing down on us Bloomberg sounded the alarm, & over reacted as far as I was concerned. That being said the exodus out of Manhattan was clam & orderly.

If we ever had a major weather event or somthing worse that required us to get out of the state we would be screwed. There is no way that somthing affecting NYC wouldn't effect NJ or CT. So we would be stuck where we are to ride it out.

I was nothere on 911. But those of you who experienced the chaos first hand may know how ugly it could get.
While there are so many petty safety regulations such as a helmet for riding a bike, wouldn't it make sense to regulate how many people should be piled on each square inch in an island city dwelling, and also requiring that megacities should have as many thoroughfare as possible for emergent evaculations?

Manhattan is historically and culturally a fabulous place but we should avoid that it will become fatally over populated. The government should try to outsource the jobs to other geologically safe location to preserve this city.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,666 times
Good lord I was stuck in 149 grandconcourse for the same reason. The 5 stops there and declares that it is now going along the 2 line. No biggy, nothing new. Everyone went up to the 4 train. The train stops and stands for several minutes. It's jam packed to the point where there's an entire train load waiting on the platfrom for the next 4. What happens? The message finally comes up stating that this is the last stop for the 4 train. Everyone exits the 4 train and we all squeeze our way out of there. Now there are people either leaving the station, waiting and hoping or getting off the 2 and 5 downstairs walking up to the 4 train unaware that it isn't going any further as well. I ended up taking the 2 train to the west side and busing it to the east side. Waste of my day. Can't wait for the fare hikes!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Good lord I was stuck in 149 grandconcourse for the same reason. The 5 stops there and declares that it is now going along the 2 line. No biggy, nothing new. Everyone went up to the 4 train. The train stops and stands for several minutes. It's jam packed to the point where there's an entire train load waiting on the platfrom for the next 4. What happens? The message finally comes up stating that this is the last stop for the 4 train. Everyone exits the 4 train and we all squeeze our way out of there. Now there are people either leaving the station, waiting and hoping or getting off the 2 and 5 downstairs walking up to the 4 train unaware that it isn't going any further as well. I ended up taking the 2 train to the west side and busing it to the east side. Waste of my day. Can't wait for the fare hikes!
The fare hikes won't do much. Instead of paying $2.25 to be delayed, you'll pay $2.50.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,912,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
While there are so many petty safety regulations such as a helmet for riding a bike

I'm not sure if you meant bike as in motocycle or a bicycle, but I just wanted to clarify that there's no law or regulation requiring bicyclists to wear a helmet.

Having such a law would be detrimental for bicycle ridership, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Last edited by likeminas; 10-16-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 PM

387 posts, read 681,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I was nothere on 911. But those of you who experienced the chaos first hand may know how ugly it could get.
While there are so many petty safety regulations such as a helmet for riding a bike, wouldn't it make sense to regulate how many people should be piled on each square inch in an island city dwelling, and also requiring that megacities should have as many thoroughfare as possible for emergent evaculations?

Manhattan is historically and culturally a fabulous place but we should avoid that it will become fatally over populated. The government should try to outsource the jobs to other geologically safe location to preserve this city.
Bloomberg is way a head of you pal.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The fare hikes won't do much. Instead of paying $2.25 to be delayed, you'll pay $2.50.
You're forgetting the increase in unlimited cards and tolls. Traveling in NYC as a whole is affected.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,253,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I'm not sure if you meant bike as in motocycle or a bicycle, but I just wanted to clarify that there's no law or regulation requiring bicyclists to wear a helmet.
Helmet, no. Bell, yes. Pink streamers and a basket are optional.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,248,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
my commute literally doubled today thanks to a switch malfunction at Union Square. ... There's a brand new shiny Metro North station nearby (Yankees - East 153rd Street) - I'll just take that downtown. ... got on the Metro North and got to Grand Central in 10 minutes and got to work. ... The Metro North was literally "plan D."
From Eastchester, can you take one of several Bx buses to the Metro-North stations?
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
You're forgetting the increase in unlimited cards and tolls. Traveling in NYC as a whole is affected.
I'm not forgetting it. I just didn't bother mentioning it because the point is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City