Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,174 times

Advertisements

Hello guys
week ago i got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt.

im little confused because the cop gave me 2 copies
1st one is yellow traffic ticket
2nd one is basically copy of the first one but its white and it says uniform traffic ticket
theres same information on 2nd one too and court date is left blank
same ticket# too

i want to plead not guilty
should i send just 1st (yellow) ticket or both?
whats this uniform traffic ticket anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM

any1?????????????

Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Maybe there's a phone number on the ticket you could call for info. You're the only person I've ever heard of that got stopped for not wearing a seat belt. I always thought that to get cited for not wearing a seat belt you had to have been pulled over for something else. But in NYC I'm not surprised. Probably the best thing to do is pay the ticket and move on. Meanwhile, buckle up.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
The white copy is for you. The yellow gets sent in. In your case, mark it not guilty on the back.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 AM

thing is i was wearing a seatbelt!!!
me and another van stopped at red light cops parked their car one of them came out and told both of us to pull over
i was surprised because i did nothing wrong
i couldnt believe it when he said i wasnt wearing a seatbelt
when i said i was wearing it he said that i leaned forward too far from the seat and he thought i havent had the belt on
what a reason to think i wasnt wearing a seatbelt right?
i did lean forward to check something in navigation... but my seatbelt was on...
he said theres no point to argue and i can explain that in court :|

Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
thing is i was wearing a seatbelt!!!
me and another van stopped at red light cops parked their car one of them came out and told both of us to pull over
i was surprised because i did nothing wrong
i couldnt believe it when he said i wasnt wearing a seatbelt
when i said i was wearing it he said that i leaned forward too far from the seat and he thought i havent had the belt on
what a reason to think i wasnt wearing a seatbelt right?
i did lean forward to check something in navigation... but my seatbelt was on...
he said theres no point to argue and i can explain that in court :|
They got you.

Probably some cop nearing his deadline wasn't getting close to his quota, and decided to go fishing for people who are a danger to themselves.

You can try to fight it, but in court the word of a cop trumps yours 10,000 times, even if it's a lie.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Right. It just ain't worth fighting it unless the principle of the thing is worth more to you than the money and the aggravation and lost time.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
If I was not truly not guilty I'd fight no matter what the cost. I used to work in court and people would say all of the time that they were pleading guilty just to 'get it over with'. If that's the extent of your will power regarding your own rights, how can you expect the police force to care about them more? If you're not guilty, don't plead guilty.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
It's a trade off for the OP.

Is the cost of hiring a lawyer AND time spent (possibly absent from work) worth fighting a ticket that is less than $200?

I would personally pay it and move on. My time is more valuable than the aggravation of fighting an minor, albeit, unjust ticket.

Next time you get pulled over by a cop, turn on your phone camera and record the interaction.
It might be very well be your only evidence against a cop's lie.

Last edited by likeminas; 10-16-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 AM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
I think Cuomo signed a bill into law earlier this year that allows the NYPD to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt now. Not that it ever mattered in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City