Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times

Advertisements

Anyone else ever get a parking ticket mailed to them from NYC?

Here's the story...

I came in Xmas Eve into NYC to pick up my fiancee. It was 5pm. I picked her up right off 34th street going westbound between 8th and 9th. It was a weekday and I happened to pull off onto the bus lane (didn't know it was the bus lane then, just saw it as the shoulder right lane) for 30 seconds because the entire lane was clear up and down the block for my fiancee to get into the car. I never turned off the engine and headlights or got out of the car the whole time. Drove away and that was that.

Get a $115 parking ticket in the mail a month and half later for doing that. Some cop must've saw me, got my plate number and mailed it in like they do with the red light cameras (which by the way only costs $50?).

Anyways yes...knowingly or unknowingly it was a bus lane, I shouldn't have been in the bus lane at all. There probably was one of those no standing zones signs there but who can really read those as you're driving through the city watching to make sure you don't hit jaywalkers or crazy taxis? Again not saying what I did was right whether it was knowing or unknowingly done. Just really weak I thought since that 30 second stop (I'm serious when I say 30 seconds too) cost me $115 on Xmas Eve.

My real question is this...I didn't know cops were allowed to cite parking tickets like that? I thought parking tickets had to be placed on cars. If this is the way the system works for it, it seems any cop could get any out of states cars (I have NJ plates) license plate and just mail in a ticket to them if they wanted whether it was to fill a quota or just be an ass. I'm not saying the majority of cops would do this but not every cop does his job right either. They could figure no out of state person would fight it so its easy $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If a parking ticket is not paid, then a copy of the ticket will be mailed to the owner of the car.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If a parking ticket is not paid, then a copy of the ticket will be mailed to the owner of the car.
Yeah that I've heard of, but in my situation no cop came over to put a parking ticket on my window...I'm pretty sure I would've noticed in the 30 seconds I was there on the side...

Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM

203 posts, read 664,641 times
Quote:
didn't know cops were allowed to cite parking tickets like that?
they changed some laws so that "brownies" "road warriors" traffic agents can give out certain tickets...they did it for blocking the box but I don't about your situation. Since the traffic agent didn't pull you over, do they have all the information correct on the ticket. Its a "parking ticket" and not a moving violation right?
I guess it would suck to go to NYC to fight the ticket so your only choice would be to send a sworn statement...not sure how persuasive that would be. If theres incorrect info on the ticket, maybe you can get out of it.
It doesn't seem like most people on this board are too sympathetic to tickets, I don't think most have a car. While I rarely drive in the city, sometimes it DOES make sense to drive there. And yes drivers need to obey the laws while driving but the mayor and his traffic agents are going overboard with their ticket blitz. The reason is: the city has no money and this is needed to raise revenue.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
they changed some laws so that "brownies" "road warriors" traffic agents can give out certain tickets...they did it for blocking the box but I don't about your situation. Since the traffic agent didn't pull you over, do they have all the information correct on the ticket. Its a "parking ticket" and not a moving violation right?
I guess it would suck to go to NYC to fight the ticket so your only choice would be to send a sworn statement...not sure how persuasive that would be. If theres incorrect info on the ticket, maybe you can get out of it.
It doesn't seem like most people on this board are too sympathetic to tickets, I don't think most have a car. While I rarely drive in the city, sometimes it DOES make sense to drive there. And yes drivers need to obey the laws while driving but the mayor and his traffic agents are going overboard with their ticket blitz. The reason is: the city has no money and this is needed to raise revenue.
Interesting...

Yeah I absolutely hate driving in the city...I just did it this time going from Long Island ot NJ and picking up the fiance on the way to NJ. Oh wells I ended up paying the ticket...I consider it a charity contribution to NYC lol

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,237 times
Default Bus lane tickets

Well, this is the reason that I am leaving NYC. NYC makes it virtually impossible for a "NORMAL and LAW ABIDING," human being to live here. I have a 130.00 bus lane ticket. I cannot contact anyone to find out if it is points against my license that of course mean my already 3000.00 dollar a year car insurance here in the city will cost me even more. (And that figure is with only one speeding ticket that is FOUR years old and NO accidents.)

I was in the bus lane by ignorance...which of course is NO excuse for the law, HOWEVER, it was not RED, you had two choices...the FIRE LANE or the BUS Lane. It was St. Patty's Day and it was bumper to bumper. Personally, since I hardly drive in NYC and have only lived here a little over a year, I did not even know that these lanes were not for cars at all, since the road is full of cars in BOTH lanes. When ALL the lanes are marked, where the hell do you drive? Since there were only TWO lanes, I did not understand. QUOTA at the expense of a teacher who no longer can afford to live here due to the high cost of rent, car insurance, and getting tickets that are completely bogus. If you were going to ticket me, then you should have ticketed EVERY PERSON in that lane.

NYC RIP....TOURIST BEWARE...

If you want a city to be full of nothing but criminals, then keep pulling over your hard-working middle class, you know, the ones who actually DO pay taxes to the city. We should not be getting QUOTA tickets on a holiday.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Interesting...

Yeah I absolutely hate driving in the city...I just did it this time going from Long Island ot NJ and picking up the fiance on the way to NJ. Oh wells I ended up paying the ticket...I consider it a charity contribution to NYC lol
Can't you dispute it online?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,237 times
Well, I tell you I think the entire bus lane thing is a hoax. There are not enough lanes for cars and yet NYC has a Fire Lane (Which NO ONE should ride in but THAT is the lane they use), and a bus lane, which NO one is supposed to use???? Does THAT make sense?

As far as NYC being broke...trust me...someone is getting mighty rich off of NYC. Nothing has been fixed underground (I.e., wires, pipes, subways, etc. since the early 1900's), schools have NO COPY machines or computers, or even libraries in some of the boroughs.

Roads are so bad outside of Manhattan (Pot holes), that cars constantly get flats.

Hospitals are overcrowded.

Bloomberg spends all his time building new buildings (Construction contracts...that right there is a conflict of interests), and he voted himself in over the time limit.

Now tell me...WHO is watching the spending? Thousands of tickets EACH DAY...separate taxes for the city out of workers paychecks, State and federal monies/taxes, lotto (Def not used on education), and wherever else cities get their money...and everything is falling apart...

The cop who pulled me over...he was "Rocking out," and his buddy was smoking a cigarette on duty...NO PRIDE, NO RESPECT, ALL POWER...that was it.

I moved. I am ashamed of the greatest city in our nation...it is dirty, full of crime, and crooks who care not about the people but only about how much they can pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City