Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM

520 posts, read 843,917 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been entertaining a thought of moving to France or Australia, just a little fantasy that probably doesn't have enough juice to set things in motion, but it feels good to think about it in my most stressful times. Just curious if any of you had lived in Europe or Australia for extended periods of time, or know someone who has. How does the lifestyle compare to that of New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Recently I've been entertaining a thought of moving to France or Australia, just a little fantasy that probably doesn't have enough juice to set things in motion, but it feels good to think about it in my most stressful times. Just curious if any of you had lived in Europe or Australia for extended periods of time, or know someone who has. How does the lifestyle compare to that of New York?
My girlfriend lived in Germany for three years and in Korea for two years. She loved them both but she enjoyed Germany much better.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Did she do a comparison of Germany and NYC? What was her impression?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
There are a lot of differences, though also some similarities. Even within our own country, cities vary vastly. In Europe (and Australia is not Europe, by the way) which specific city would determine the differences. English speaking city, or no? I've lived in London (only 3 months for work) and also studied at Oxford, and there were differences and similarities between NY and London. But it would take knowing the specific city and what you are looking for to discuss specifics. I think NYC is a very unique, multi-cultural and dynamic city. Other cities have a very different unique charm as well. Prague for example, feels like you are in a preserved midieval town. It all depends.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
There are a lot of differences, though also some similarities. Even within our own country, cities vary vastly. In Europe (and Australia is not Europe, by the way) which specific city would determine the differences. English speaking city, or no? I've lived in London (only 3 months for work) and also studied at Oxford, and there were differences and similarities between NY and London. But it would take knowing the specific city and what you are looking for to discuss specifics. I think NYC is a very unique, multi-cultural and dynamic city. Other cities have a very different unique charm as well. Prague for example, feels like you are in a preserved midieval town. It all depends.
I'm not really interested in the difference between the cities in the United States. And I never stated that Australia is Europe, not sure why you had to clarify that that. I've lived in Europe for quite some time as a child, but obviously it's very different now. Thanks for the general overview, but I wasn't really looking for unique charm and aesthetics for visiting purposes, I'm mainly interested in the lifestyle comparisons.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Did she do a comparison of German and NYC? What was her impression?
She said that in Germany most people seemed genuinely friendly and very helpful. She loved the culture and found that the Germans like to party fun and hard. They also know how to actually run trains on time as well. But, at the end of the day her heart was still here in NYC. She said it was a great and fun experience but NYC is where she still wants to be.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Also Entangled, if you plan on relocating to Australia and getting dual citizenship look in to the current criteria for eligibility to become an Australian citizen. I checked a few years back and at that time you had to prove you earned a minimum of 60K a year USD. Australia only takes immigrants that will support the system and not drain it.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Also Entangled, if you plan on relocating to Australia and getting dual citizenship look in to the current criteria for eligibility to become an Australian citizen. I checked a few years back and at that time you had to prove you earned a minimum of 60K a year USD. Australia only takes immigrants that will support the system and not drain it.
That's a reasonable requirement. Just curious, why were you checking? Is that something you also considered?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
I'm not really interested in the difference between the cities in the United States. And I never stated that Australia is Europe, not sure why you had to clarify that that. I've lived in Europe for quite some time as a child, but obviously it's very different now. Thanks for the general overview, but I wasn't really looking for unique charm and aesthetics for visiting purposes, I'm mainly interested in the lifestyle comparisons.

My point was more that since even within one country cities are vastly different, that you would find even more differences when comparing cities within different national borders.

Your subject asked if anyone had lived in Europe. Then your question itself mentioned you were considering Australia. That's the only reason I mentioned it - I meant nothing disparaging about that, just didn't want to confuse anyone else reading the response since I was focusing on Europe and not Australia.

When/if you move you should also research whether you would need a permit to work or for anything else. It took some time for me to get my work permit for the UK before I moved over. It's easy to forget those requirements sometimes when we are used to being visitors without these additional requirements.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
She said that in Germany most people seemed genuinely friendly and very helpful. She loved the culture and found that the Germans like to party fun and hard. They also know how to actually run trains on time as well. But, at the end of the day her heart was still here in NYC. She said it was a great and fun experience but NYC is where she still wants to be.
Did she say why she finds NYC to be more suitable? Is it because of her attachment to people, language or something else?

How is their work ethic? What is cost of living? Is it easy to adjust for someone from NYC? What were some of the cultural gaps? Inconveniences? Idiosyncrasies? Aside from the train system, what did she like better there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City