Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,715 times

Advertisements

on the other hand if you're not jewish DO NOT venture in Israel, they are literally crazy racist towards non jewish people, and paranoid as hell too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,588,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
on the other hand if you're not jewish DO NOT venture in Israel, they are literally crazy racist towards non jewish people, and paranoid as hell too...

Not the experience of my friends who love to visit Israel. In fact one couple (not Jewish) honeymooned there a couple years ago and had a fabulous time.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times
Quote:
Thats certainly not true.being Jewish is imoortant to Israelis but its not the end all be all. The vast majority of Israeli Jews are secular ( same for the rest of the worlds Jews ) and really couldn't care less whether someone is Jewish or not in day to day dealings. Judaism does play an important role in the state ( most food is kosher, the countr basically shuts down for Shabbat, all Jewish holidays are national holidays, Jewish marriages are under rabbinical supervision, etc.) but a non Jew can live in Israel if they don't mind the aforementioned.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,094 times
I was in Italy for a year and Spain for a year--I preferred Spain. The people were so friendly and fun - very welcoming. I don't know how things are there with the economic crisis - it must be very difficult.

Italy was beautiful, but it really didn't click with me. Men were perhaps too friendly, and the women seemed very distant - I wasn't able to make any good female Italian friends. I was in Siena, and image seemed to have an outsized importance in people's lives.

I was also in France for less time (about 4 months) - if I were to go back to live, I'd go to France this time. I met some very nice people there. In the US we have such a bad stereotype of the French, but I really enjoyed the time I had there.

I also love Holland and met wonderful Dutch people, but the language is too hard for me. The Germans seemed more uptight than other nationalities it's true.

I've never been to Australia, but the Australian people seem to be open and fun. Marsupials are also so interesting - so different than the wildlife we had here. I'd adopt a wombat if I lived there.

Last edited by yodel; 08-31-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,024,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I was in Italy for a year and Spain for a year--I preferred Spain. The people were so friendly and fun - very welcoming. I don't know how things are there with the economic crisis - it must be very difficult.

Italy was beautiful, but it really didn't click with me. Men were perhaps too friendly, and the women seemed very distant - I wasn't able to make any good female Italian friends. I was in Siena, and image seemed to have an outsized importance in people's lives.

I was also in France for less time (about 4 months) - if I were to go back to live, I'd go to France this time. I met some very nice people there. In the US we have such a bad stereotype of the French, but I really enjoyed the time I had there and met some very nice people.

I also love Holland and met wonderful Dutch people, but the language is too hard for me. The Germans seemed more uptight than other nationalities it's true.

I've never been to Australia, but the Australian people seem to be open and fun. Marsupials are also so interesting - so different than the wildlife we had here. I'd adopt a wombat if I lived there.
Ernest Hemingway once said "There's nowhere on Earth quite like Spain" or at least his character Robert Jordan did in "For Whom The Bell Tolls'.

I spent a week in Murcia not so long ago and if anything the area seems to have heightened in activity as regards the tourist industry and making life comfortable for tourists. Since the housing crash visitors to the region have been vital for the economy and that goes for alot of Spain.

I just love getting a cycle and cycling through Murcia. Flamingos stopping off on the way to Africa, the shaloow Mar Menor lagoon a short stroll away from the Meditteranean Sea and that old Castillian feel that you get in picturesque settings in unbelievable rstaurants and complexes that you'd expect to be sealed off and to be VIP only areas if they were replicated in New York, Paris or London.

Reading Hemingway in Spain, especially 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' really gave me a greater awareness and affinity for my surroundings. i can only speak basic, pidgeon Spanish but enough to get by is all you really need in most Spanish areas.

i'm going back to Valencia and Calpe tomorrow which is even more of an area familiar with tourists. Basically great food, long days, very outdoor, communal culture and a brilliant lifestyle in probably the most beautiful settings in Europe.

Just sitting in the cobbled backstreets eating outside a restaurant that has a real family feel you almost feel like you are sitting outside someone's house. Very often you are, especially in the backstreets and venues away from the tourist traps. I had a meal at one restaurant 4 people with wine and more food than we could ever eat in our life and it only came to something like 12 Euros each.

Spain can be very good value if you know where to go. Alot of places have a very rambunctious but friendly atmosphere and once recently at an outdoor restaurant the chefs and waiting staff chased down a wild boar whilst we ate our starters. Music was wonderful and the food is second to none.

I would definitely say it's worth a visit but if you are serious about moving perhaps France might be more realistic for employment in the current economy but as always that depends on your experience/skills and what kind of job you are looking for.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 08-31-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Ernest Hemingway once said "There's nowhere on Earth quite like Spain" or at least his character Robert Jordan did in "For Whom The Bell Tolls'.

I spent a week in Murcia not so long ago and if anything the area seems to have heightened in activity as regards the tourist industry and making life comfortable for tourists. Since the housing crash visitors to the region have been vital for the economy and that goes for alot of Spain.

I just love getting a cycle and cycling through Murcia. Flamingos stopping off on the way to Africa, the shaloow Mar Menor lagoon a short stroll away from the Meditteranean Sea and that old Castillian feel that you get in picturesque settings in unbelievable rstaurants and complexes that you'd expect to be sealed off and to be VIP only areas if they were replicated in New York, Paris or London.

Reading Hemingway in Spain, especially 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' really gave me a greater awareness and affinity for my surroundings. i can only speak basic, pidgeon Spanish but enough to get by is all you really need in most Spanish areas.

i'm going back to Valencia and Calpe tomorrow which is even more of an area familiar with tourists. Basically great food, long days, very outdoor, communal culture and a brilliant lifestyle in probably the most beautiful settings in Europe.

Just sitting in the cobbled backstreets eating outside a restaurant that has a real family feel you almost feel like you are sitting outside someone's house. Very often you are, especially in the backstreets and venues away from the tourist traps. I had a meal at one restaurant 4 people with wine and more food than we could ever eat in our life and it only came to something like 12 Euros each.

Spain can be very good value if you know where to go. Alot of places have a very rambunctious but friendly atmosphere and once recently at an outdoor restaurant the chefs and waiting staff chased down a wild boar whilst we ate our starters. Music was wonderful and the food is second to none.

I would definitely say it's worth a visit but if you are serious about moving perhaps France might be more realistic for employment in the current economy but as always that depends on your experience/skills and what kind of job you are looking for.
Good for you - have a great time!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,265 times
European large cities: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, all have something reminiscent of NYC. Large cities have more in common with each other, then with the countryside in each respective country. If you want to move to Europe, choose a place that can potentially offer you a working place, or being a student eligible to work a few hours. I know someone who spent a couple of years studying in Heidelberg, Germany.
Recently Berlin and Prague are attracting young people from all over the world.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 PM

33 posts, read 70,248 times
my friend used to live in australia said it was the best country he has lived in by far

i only hear good things about that country

Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 PM

334 posts, read 1,103,961 times
Quote:
Not true at all. My family lived in Israel for 4 years when I was a teen (we're not Jewish) and we were welcomed into the homes of many Jewish families. We found Israelis to be very open and straightforward, and Tel Aviv and modern Jerusalem are very European, sophisticated cities. Tel Aviv has a wonderful Mediterranean climate as well, we had fig, citrus and almond trees in our backyard. @wawaweewa, I agree with all your observations.

frenchy93 may be thinking of neighborhoods like Mea Shearim which are hardly representative of Israel as a whole. Mea Shearim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Spain, I have relatives who've lived there recently, and have moved or are in the process of moving away. They love the lifestyle and atmosphere, but the economy is the killer. Official figures show 25% unemployment, and 52% unemployment for people under the age of 25: Spain unemployment | Spain unemployment rate | Spain jobless 2012 | datosmacro.com Unofficially it's not quite that bad since a number of people work off the books, but until things improve I wouldn't recommend a move to Spain to anyone who doesn't have a firm job contract.

Last edited by gk90; 08-31-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM

56 posts, read 92,678 times
I live in Sweden. But it's a BIG difference between living in various countries in Europe.. Sweden is great though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City