Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Really tell that to the people who used to live in carnarse. Carnarse used to be a very good place to live 20 to 30 years ago and now it is riddle with crime. South Shore used to be a good school before the change and now they are looking to close it down.
The crime 20 years ago was higher than the crime now. How do you explain that? Look at the NYPD stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
I remember the canarcie thread... Some people are just convinced that Black and Hispanic people will always be more associated with crime than white people. White people bring up a neighborhood while minorities destroy a neighborhood. Thats why Cambria Heights, and Fresh Meadows are such horrible neighborhoods because there's either a good amount of minorities or they make up the majority.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
How the M-train is Gentrifying Bushwick

In the summer of 2009, City Limits spent several weeks in the 11237 ZIP code in Bushwick, Brooklyn—the area that contains the geographic center of New York City—to gauge how the neighborhood had changed, for better or worse, during Mayor Bloomberg's first two terms.

This spring a group of students at the City University of New York Graduate School of Journalism went back to Bushwick for a set of stories you can read here. This article about the role of the transit system in channeling gentrification is one of their reports.

City Limits : How the M-train is Gentrifying Bushwick
Recent thoughts?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Recent thoughts?
Pretty balanced... I was expecting much worse. I was surprised though at the rent numbers when they mentioned a two bedroom apartment rose I think they said 17% from $454 a month. I don't know if I'm reading that wrong but if I'm not then it sure puts all those ridiculous claims about $3,000 rents to rest in the neighborhood...

Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Any chance they'll let the M run past myrtle-broadway 24/7?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I don't live in Bushwick but I've been to diff parts of Bushwick a bunch of times so I know the area well.

If you're going to be on the L train side, based on my experiences you wanna avoid areas east of the Myrtle/Wyckoff stop (Halsey, Wilson. Bushiwkck/Aberdeen) since you'll be getting closer to East NY and by the responses in this thread, you know East NY is bad news.

If you're going to be on the J train side, based on my experiences you wanna avoid areas east of the Myrtle/Broadway stop (Koszuicko, Gates, Halsey, Chauncey ) for the same reason as stated above.

Generally the J train side is going to be rougher because that line serves Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, and the portion of Bushwick that borders East NY (ie Chauncey St). The L train side will be safer since it serves mainly Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood. Hope that wasn't too confusing lol.

Me neither, but I think the poster was being sarcastic.
And what exactly are your experiences? If you're trying to trying to direct OP to where the neighborhood is "thriving" (i.e. shifting demographically), then you haven't been to the Gates or Halsey area in a while. Don't worry, this individual will be safe here as they have city-paid bodyguards below the turnstyles to watch over him as he comes off train in drunken stupor on friday nights (not that anything would happen to him anyway). of 'new residents' walking around normal, wild, insane, blue-haired, piank-haired, even seen a guy with vulture in a cage relaxing the sidewalk. Plenty of new friends for OP to make, dont mislead him..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
10-Building Megaproject To Replace Old Bushwick Brewery?

There would be 10 buildings rising up to eight stories tall for a total of 977 rental apartments

10-Building Megaproject To Replace Old Bushwick Brewery? - Coming Attractions - Curbed NY
Way too much parking. Currently standing at 50% of units, should drop to at most 25%. Should add some floors (2-4) for more units too (currently 8). Good location, convenient to rapid transit.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 06-25-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Way too much parking. Currently standing at 50% of units, should drop to at most 25%. Should add some floors (2-4) for more units too (currently 8). Good location, convenient to rapid transit.
Across from the projects.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
LOL You don't quit, do you?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Across from the projects.
True, but also between two rapid transit lines. POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City