Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,817,481 times

Advertisements

At those who responded to my comments... its called an exaggeration. And thank you mayorofnyc for realizing that. My point of that whole comment was basically describing the lengths certain realtors and others on this site would go to make a neighborhood that hasn't really changed all that much in Bushwick seem like the next Williamsburg when as we have seen for already three years now, hasn't. The fact of the matter is that I am one of those born and raised New Yorkers that does have a problem with all the priviledged wealthy coming from different states moving into poor neighborhoods and driving those that are struggling out. When there are SOOOO many other neighborhoods where they can look to and most likely find cheaper apts than in Brooklyn because of its near proximity to Manhattan, they can't be bothered by the extra 10-20 minutes to get over there. But to those who are unsure about the area, take a walk through anywhere between St. Nicholas Ave and Menahan in Ridgewood all the way up through Central or Grove St., Himrod St., Linden, or near Knickerbocker Park and deeper and i could continue on..., and tell me that the neighborhood is relatively safe. Gangs like MS-13, LDC, Crazy Boys, Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings and Trinitarios have all staked claim already in Bushwick and the gang situation is like a balloon ready to pop. If you don't believe me, look at the graffitti in the area and look for LDC and a sign that looks like an M followed by a musical note S and then a 13 that looks like a B. The graffitti is all over. I live in Ridgewood and I cant say this for a fact, that the neighborhood is indeed changing, it may have been getting better before but hard economic times will bring about the worst in some people, and for the most part the neighborhood is getting very bad once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
At those who responded to my comments... its called an exaggeration. And thank you mayorofnyc for realizing that. My point of that whole comment was basically describing the lengths certain realtors and others on this site would go to make a neighborhood that hasn't really changed all that much in Bushwick seem like the next Williamsburg when as we have seen for already three years now, hasn't. .
I don't get it -- an exaggeration? There are ZERO people on this site who ever say that people should move to ENY or Brownsville because it's the up and coming place for artists. Zero. So you "exaggerate" by saying that "alot of people on this site will tell you that..." ?

If you were being sarcastic, as Mayorofnyc thought you might be, that's one thing. But according to you, you weren't being sarcastic, you were "exaggerating."

Exaggerate somewhere else! If you have an agenda, fine, have an agenda, but don't put words in people's mouths. It's weird and uncalled for.

and P.S. Your comment ("exaggeration") and the answers to your comment were all about ENY and Brownsville, not about Bushwick.

Last edited by Henna; 03-21-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM

@ Henna, your right. I was here doing the same thing that I complained on this thread about. And maybe it was an overexaggeration but like i mentioned before it wasn't without basis. When i wrote my first comment, I guess I was just venting about all the people that continue trying to drive out the poor working class onto the streets or wherever they can afford and out of the neighborhoods they've been in for years in order for a new wealthier class of people to come in. Your comments may have been directed at my exaggeration and the point is noted. But setting that aside, the reason for the exaggeration was based on the topic of Bushwick. In another thread one of the girls that recently moved into the area of Bushwick said how her intentions weren't to drive out the people that are already there and she was just wondering why couldn't it be that the white people moving in wouldnt have to take over like in Williamsburg and why couldn't everyone just live amongst eachother. Honestly, if it were like that, I dont think there would be complaints on any side. But unfortunately, that is not the case and that was what I was trying to say before hand. There are many other locations to find cheap apartments if that's what you're looking for; there's no need to come in bunches and not give the working class in this specific neighborhood any chance of competing for an apartment.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM

@ Henna not to beat a dead horse but when i said my comment about selling East NY as the next hip location it was supposed to be an exaggeration. Key words "supposed to be". https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-harlem-5.html

Now you tell me, that im exaggerating when it comes to people selling bad neighborhoods. Despite the influx of white hipsters and yuppies in Bushwick this thread right here in its totality should give tell you everything you need to know about how safe Bushwick really is. If there selling East NY then, Im sorry Bushwick being a new up and coming neighborhood loses all credibility.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM

876 posts, read 2,143,983 times
Quote:
@ Henna, your right. I was here doing the same thing that I complained on this thread about. And maybe it was an overexaggeration but like i mentioned before it wasn't without basis. When i wrote my first comment, I guess I was just venting about all the people that continue trying to drive out the poor working class onto the streets or wherever they can afford and out of the neighborhoods they've been in for years in order for a new wealthier class of people to come in. Your comments may have been directed at my exaggeration and the point is noted. But setting that aside, the reason for the exaggeration was based on the topic of Bushwick. In another thread one of the girls that recently moved into the area of Bushwick said how her intentions weren't to drive out the people that are already there and she was just wondering why couldn't it be that the white people moving in wouldnt have to take over like in Williamsburg and why couldn't everyone just live amongst eachother. Honestly, if it were like that, I dont think there would be complaints on any side. But unfortunately, that is not the case and that was what I was trying to say before hand. There are many other locations to find cheap apartments if that's what you're looking for; there's no need to come in bunches and not give the working class in this specific neighborhood any chance of competing for an apartment.
So do you feel the sameway when a good area of middle class gets driven out of their area when poor working class people move in with their high crime rate?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Quote:
@ Henna not to beat a dead horse but when i said my comment about selling East NY as the next hip location it was supposed to be an exaggeration. Key words "supposed to be". https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-harlem-5.html

Now you tell me, that im exaggerating when it comes to people selling bad neighborhoods. Despite the influx of white hipsters and yuppies in Bushwick this thread right here in its totality should give tell you everything you need to know about how safe Bushwick really is. If there selling East NY then, Im sorry Bushwick being a new up and coming neighborhood loses all credibility.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. When the post begins "not to beat a dead horse" I know that's exactly what's going to happen... and while I do have some time, I don't have THAT much time.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 47,268 times
bushwick is allright. i have family who live in the knickerbockers. i wouldnt chose to move there though too much activity and relatively crowded.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 PM

okay @ Henna ill make it brief. Someone talking about condos in East NY and talking about whether the neighborhood is gentrifying or not. We all know the answer to that question.

@ DSNYSANMAN poor minorities dont have the power to move in bunches to a good working class neighborhood the way yuppies do. I talked about this same thing in another thread "Opinions on Bushwick". Its the final comment or one of the final, not sure.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:56 AM

876 posts, read 2,143,983 times
Quote:
okay @ Henna ill make it brief. Someone talking about condos in East NY and talking about whether the neighborhood is gentrifying or not. We all know the answer to that question.

@ DSNYSANMAN poor minorities dont have the power to move in bunches to a good working class neighborhood the way yuppies do. I talked about this same thing in another thread "Opinions on Bushwick". Its the final comment or one of the final, not sure.

Really tell that to the people who used to live in carnarse. Carnarse used to be a very good place to live 20 to 30 years ago and now it is riddle with crime. South Shore used to be a good school before the change and now they are looking to close it down.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,565,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Really tell that to the people who used to live in carnarse. Carnarse used to be a very good place to live 20 to 30 years ago and now it is riddle with crime. South Shore used to be a good school before the change and now they are looking to close it down.
Not this again, I don't know where this whole Canarsie is a bad neighborhood stuff coming from, but it's far from the truth. The only thing that changed 20 to 30 years ago is that it went from completely white to a completely black/West Indian neighborhood. Overall, the crime is average and it doesn't even compare to Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City