Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is worse?
Jamaica 3 11.54%
South Jamaica 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM

31 posts, read 56,064 times

Advertisements

Which area of Queens is worse: Jamaica, or South Jamaica? Vote in this one-time only poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Jamaica is way worse. South Jamaica is one of the better neighborhoods in the city. What is your opinion OP?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
South Jamaica is crappy too. Jamaica is more dense so it looks worse.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
I'm a little unclear on the boundaries of South Jamaica and Jamaica.

I know somebody who lives close to the Lakewood Ave area who considers themselves to be South Jamaica but i've always known that area as just Jamaica. For the record, when I was over there it didn't seem that bad at all but we are usually there before the sun goes down so maybe it changes then?

Is there like an official/unofficial boundary to the area?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM

According to Google Maps, Linden Boulevard is fully in Jamaica (except for where it intersects with 149th Street, 148th Street, 147th Street, and Inwood Street), and then the streets below it are half in Jamaica, half in South Jamaica. Everything South of that is South Jamaica. Check out jamaica, queens - Google Maps for a map of the boundaries.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I'm a little unclear on the boundaries of South Jamaica and Jamaica.

I know somebody who lives close to the Lakewood Ave area who considers themselves to be South Jamaica but i've always known that area as just Jamaica. For the record, when I was over there it didn't seem that bad at all but we are usually there before the sun goes down so maybe it changes then?

Is there like an official/unofficial boundary to the area?
South Jamaica:

north - liberty avenue
south - foch blvd, arguably baisley blvd
east - merrick blvd
west - van wyck

Jamaica proper:

south - liberty avenue
north - hillside avenue
west - van wyck
east - 170th st

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had3CooksAte2Had1 View Post
According to Google Maps, Linden Boulevard is fully in Jamaica (except for where it intersects with 149th Street, 148th Street, 147th Street, and Inwood Street), and then the streets below it are half in Jamaica, half in South Jamaica. Everything South of that is South Jamaica. Check out jamaica, queens - Google Maps for a map of the boundaries.
google maps is incorrect. i put in south jamaica out of curiosity and the confines included rockaway blvd, which is not in south jamaica, but south ozone park.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
google maps is incorrect. i put in south jamaica out of curiosity and the confines included rockaway blvd, which is not in south jamaica, but south ozone park.
Sometimes the address of a house is different than the area where the house is actually located. But, you may be right, and Google Maps might be incorrect.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had3CooksAte2Had1 View Post
Sometimes the address of a house is different than the area where the house is actually located. But, you may be right, and Google Maps might be incorrect.
I don't think there's a zip code called "South Jamaica". Google Maps isn't the greatest at determining neighborhood boundaries. For instance, on Staten Island, I type in "Elm Park" and it gives me the boundaries of Port Richmond, and then I type in "Port Richmond" and it's some weird shape that's a portion of West Brighton.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
You cant.compare a neighborhood to a neighborhood inside that neighborhood and if u want to do that then South Jamaica is way worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City