Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The no parking has been effect since the 1950s and I don't know if the DOT existed then and they put them up or the police department, but it's the cops from the 100th precinct who have given me tickets and I even knew some of them, lol. BTW, when Shore Front Parkway was built, there was absolutely no parking any time, any time of the year. But some time in the 1990s, they started to allow parking at limited times.
DOT is in charge of putting up the signs that you see throughout Belle Harbor and Neponsit.

One thing I always wondered is that how do people manage to have parties, or barbecues living there? You invite a bunch of people, where are they going to park?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,825,839 times
The folks are not upper middle, in fact they are working class by nature and middle class by income. Most do not have white collar jobs, and those that do, work on Wall Street in fair payiing jobs that never make Linkedin, Craigslist, nor any other venue open to the general public.

They are atypical NATIVE NYers!

Capable of surviving and thriving in this city by way of their 'vested' interests, be it inherited homes and property, living 'at home' *free*, allowing them to accumulate cash, as well as benefiting from having, friends and relatives in government positions whereby they can receive favor (not available to non-Natives and ahhhh the hoardes of DFD)s.

As in the case of the No Parking signs: Tom calls his Uncle Joe, who works for the DOT, in charge of ordering Signs. Joe, we gotta problem with Nword ahhhh I mean DFDs parking all over the neighborhood. Can you help us out?

Joe orders the sign under some paperwork guise, then calls his cousin Bobby, whose job it is to put up signs all over the city. Bobby I need you to do me a favor and help out my nephew Tom.

Bing! The neighborhood is made safe and exclusive.

To top it off, Tom gives a call to his father, who is a Captain of Police in a preceint in The Bronx, who gives a call to his friend, Sam, who is a Captain at the local preceint, and whalla, instant enforcement.

THIS is how Sht is done, the Native NYer Way!!!

Been going on for YEARS!

You Transplants and totally locked out of the loop NYers, believe in laws, voting, and all that crap! Real NYers just pick up the phone and Sht happens!

The residents of Belle Harbor are far different than those of Forest Hills Gardens, Douglaston, Alba, Little Neck, etc.. Not even close. Don't get fooled by the appearance of their homes.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,146,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Long beach is nice but dont even think about trying to enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine. They have security/police patrolling the sand all day looking for anyone drinking alcohol and will issue you a ticket right there and make you dump whatever alcohol you have left. I can understand wanting to keep the beach clean and peaceful, but I've even witnessed them wake a man up from his sleep and ask them if they can inspect his cooler. Another time they asked a man if they can inspect what's in his cup and even put their nose up to the cup to smell if he had alcohol in it. Plust $12/pp is quite steep when you can travel to any other beach in Long Island and get charged per car rather than per person. Jones beach charges $12 per car on wknds regardless of how many people are with you. I personally go to Point Lookout beach with is along the same stretch of sand that Long beach is. Its $25 per car for non resident but well worth it. If you want to enjoy a nice peaceful day at the beach, avoid Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Orchard Beach, and Rockaway beach 116th street.
Yes they are nazi's about it. We brought some beers and had them just on the beach, not even opened. Just laying down playing with my daughter and a little skinny guy patrols through and asks if he can speak to me. I say sure. "Just to make you aware, there is no alcohol allowed on the beach. I see you are with your family so I won't write you a ticket but you need to dump out all alcohol and dispose of it in the garbage can". I said sure because I didn't want to get kicked but really? 12 dollars PER PERSON and they harrass you over a little bit of beer? Riiiight. Long Beach is great for the boardwalk and the beaches seem nice and clean but not being able to enjoy a drink on the beach is disapointing.

Jones Beach I do love but it gets pretty busy. 12 dollars per CAR instead of per person is even better. I love the waves too. I've been there many many times and love it.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,914,332 times
I was in Long beach yesterday. It was great. I do agree the 12 bucks is a little steep but it's also used as a filter to keep the undesirables out.
That's why Jones beach is a little more trashy than Long beach.

A friend of mine had a sports bottle of lemmonade spiked with some Vodka.
Nobody said a thing...

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,146,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I was in Long beach yesterday. It was great. I do agree the 12 bucks is a little steep but it's also used as a filter to keep the undesirables out.
That's why Jones beach is a little more trashy than Long beach.

Nobody said a thing...
That is true as well. But I saw plenty of undesirables hanging out on the boardwalk yelling this to young girls. Either way, both beaches are nice. Guess we should have checked the site before we went their. My GF's sister insisted it would be okay but she was wrong. lol.

Next time just a beer coozie to cover the can and you are good to go. I don't see how they can grab drinks from you and smell them.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 AM

40 posts, read 94,056 times
Quote:
It reminds me in someways of the "private streets" of Forest hills.
yeah, I used to live there, and they would put boots on peoples cars I would see it from time to time. that must suck.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM

40 posts, read 94,056 times
Quote:

Nobody said a thing...
Two summers ago I was in Rockaway, drinking cans of Four Loko. People in green shirts or some other color were walking around, cops driving on the boardwalk...

They told us not to swim.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM

79 posts, read 435,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Thank you Fred, the only accurate comment so far.

I have no idea what beach most are talking about, but it isn't the Rockaways!

For the most part, the Rockaways are a fairly empty stretch of beach, except during the holiday, and on very hot days. The crowd, as it is, pretty much gathers in two or three spots, near the two subsidized towers complex facing the beach (mostly a Puerto Rican/Hispanic crowd), and all the way at the end near the LI border/bridge. This is near a lot of residents for senior citzens, and many frequent this area. It is also where the showers and such are located.

There is also a fair crowd near the main part of the beach, in and around Beach 116th Street, this is where the subway, shops, and food can be found, as well as many older beach front apartment buildings

Overall, the crowds are a fraction of those found at Coney Island, Brighton Beach or any NYC beach.

To get AWAY from the crowds and to get a true beach experience (unless beach for you means jammeed among a bunch of numnuts), you will need to move east past Arvene. There you willl find a couple miles or more of beach 'reserve'. Grassy sand dunes, peace and isolation. Most of it though is offlimits to swimmers and people in general; but you can sit and chill on the boardwalk. Here there are only 'spots' where you are allowed to access the water, as it is a bird sanctury. Also, a lively population of wild rabbits have taken residence amoung the 'reclaimed' dunes (on the old bungalo side of the boardwalk).

THIS is the Rockaway I know and enjoy.

The water IS cleaner than in years past, and is Blue, as opposed to the putrid green of decades past. This reality is a testament to clean water efforts begun a couple of decades ago, and is evident in virtually all the waters surrounding NYC.

The waters of the Rockaways and those of Riis Beach are one and the same. The two are the only ocean facing beaches in all NY.

The water quality has improved to such a degree that fish are again running off the beach. I've noted excellent sized Stripped Bass and Black fish taken. Back in the day, the bay side abounded with large Porgies, Flounder/Fluke, and blue crabs. The bay side is also where the sewage plant is found (smells like crap!).

The caveate is that a few days ago medical debris, including hypodermic needles, wahed up on the beach. I found this surprising and disappointing, given the improvement. Back in the day this sort of thing began to occur frequently at Riis, and a great effort was made to determine the source. Which, if I recall, was found to be debris falling into the water from garbage barges used to dump garbage 'offshore' a few miles out. I think this was a result of the closing of the Staten Island dump.

At one point back in the day Riis was the hippest beach in the NYC area, a real party beach! Yes, Bay 1 at Riis was the nude and freaky area. Something those from Belle Harbor dispised and disdained and pretty much applied to all the Riis beach goers. Race played and continues to play no small part, as well as that most beach goers were Brooklynites. Little the residents could do, as Riis is on Federal Property, and part of the Federal Park System. As such, the city and the residents have little rule over the beach.

Though, I've always felt for the owners of that first house directly next to Bay 1, separated by only a chainlink fence. The shades on the Bay 1 side of the house were ALWAYS kept closed. It was not right that they were subject to other people's idea of 'freedom'.

Bay 1 was, indeed, ground central for everything hip, cool, and I suppose, Gay.

With the pollution and demographic changes Riis declined in popularity and stature. Today, it and the Rockaways are only shells of what they were back in the day; and even then Riis was less than it had been during the days of Robert Moses.

Note, the surfers are able to do their thing, precisely because their are so few frequenting the beach.
I lived in Arverne for 7 years and everything this guy said is essentially spot on. There are tons of nice spots along the Rockaway beach.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM

79 posts, read 435,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The folks are not upper middle, in fact they are working class by nature and middle class by income. Most do not have white collar jobs, and those that do, work on Wall Street in fair payiing jobs that never make Linkedin, Craigslist, nor any other venue open to the general public.

They are atypical NATIVE NYers!

Capable of surviving and thriving in this city by way of their 'vested' interests, be it inherited homes and property, living 'at home' *free*, allowing them to accumulate cash, as well as benefiting from having, friends and relatives in government positions whereby they can receive favor (not available to non-Natives and ahhhh the hoardes of DFD)s.

As in the case of the No Parking signs: Tom calls his Uncle Joe, who works for the DOT, in charge of ordering Signs. Joe, we gotta problem with Nword ahhhh I mean DFDs parking all over the neighborhood. Can you help us out?

Joe orders the sign under some paperwork guise, then calls his cousin Bobby, whose job it is to put up signs all over the city. Bobby I need you to do me a favor and help out my nephew Tom.

Bing! The neighborhood is made safe and exclusive.

To top it off, Tom gives a call to his father, who is a Captain of Police in a preceint in The Bronx, who gives a call to his friend, Sam, who is a Captain at the local preceint, and whalla, instant enforcement.

THIS is how Sht is done, the Native NYer Way!!!

Been going on for YEARS!

You Transplants and totally locked out of the loop NYers, believe in laws, voting, and all that crap! Real NYers just pick up the phone and Sht happens!

The residents of Belle Harbor are far different than those of Forest Hills Gardens, Douglaston, Alba, Little Neck, etc.. Not even close. Don't get fooled by the appearance of their homes.
this guy is spot on too.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
The way some of thesed people guard what they think of as THEIR beaches sometimes makes me SMILE at the thought of a tsunami.

But then they all cry and the taxpayers build them even LARGER homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City