Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,626,992 times

Advertisements

Rockaway Beach hint: the farther west you go from the subway terminal at Beach 116 Street, the better things get! By the time you get to the Beach 140s--Belle Harbor and Neponsit--you wouldn't even know you're still in New York City. In fact, the people in those neighborhoods act as though it's a private beach--which it is not. It's still part of the New York City park system. But even on the most crowded days, the beach there is like an oasis of privacy.

Just don't think you can drive to that part of the city and park your car in the neighborhood. Residents are very, VERY adamant about their streets not being choked by everyone else's cars, and they will watch you park your car and walk away...then call a private towing service and have your car removed. (And if you think I'm making this up, try it and see!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 AM

109 posts, read 343,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Long Beach is probably cleaner, and that's only an hour or so from Penn via LIRR (and almost directly at the beach, no extra buses or whatnot needed). Note, they'll charge you for it.
Long Beach is probably one of the best. Clean sand, clean water and also a very nice town with lots of bars and restaurants two blocks from the beach. $12 a person to get in.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Rockaway Beach hint: the farther west you go from the subway terminal at Beach 116 Street, the better things get! By the time you get to the Beach 140s--Belle Harbor and Neponsit--you wouldn't even know you're still in New York City. In fact, the people in those neighborhoods act as though it's a private beach--which it is not. It's still part of the New York City park system. But even on the most crowded days, the beach there is like an oasis of privacy.

Just don't think you can drive to that part of the city and park your car in the neighborhood. Residents are very, VERY adamant about their streets not being choked by everyone else's cars, and they will watch you park your car and walk away...then call a private towing service and have your car removed. (And if you think I'm making this up, try it and see!)
They tow your car from a public street?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM

824 posts, read 2,793,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Very true. You don't even have to go all the way to the 140s, the mid-120s is quite nice. The only problem is no facilities. Bring water and food, and be prepared to make a longish trek if you have to use a restroom. But it is worth it to be away from the horde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens_111 View Post
Even the residents are not allowed to park on the streets during the weekend during beach season. It's like an annual ritual where they have to squeeze all their cars in their driveways. But it keeps the streets and sidewalks spotless, and local kids can play in the street.

Not without some controversy, though:

Beachhead Established in One Man's Parking War - NYTimes.com

Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
Even the residents are not allowed to park on the streets during the weekend during beach season. It's like an annual ritual where they have to squeeze all their cars in their driveways. But it keeps the streets and sidewalks spotless, and local kids can play in the street.

Not without some controversy, though:

Beachhead Established in One Man's Parking War - NYTimes.com
Well if No Parking signs are up, the I guess everyone knows that they can be ticketed or have their car towed. But from that article it seems like those signs are illegal. I guess you can always park there and then fight the ticket.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
Quote:
They are public streets as in "you can drive on them" but there are signs that don't allow you
to park there during the summer season.
Wealthy people have a way to protect themselves from masses that flock the beaches. Besides, most houses there have their own driveways and garages.
It reminds me in someways of the "private streets" of Forest hills.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
The signs have been there for years and they are clearly marked. No parking sat., sun., and holidays May 31-Sept. 1. It's not the residents who say anything, it's the police. They do patrol the area and give out tickets. More money for the city. Residents get tickets too and they also are not happy with their limited parking options. And I wouldn't consider Belle Harbor rich, more like middle class.

The water is a better than Coney Island as the tidal flow can move out the pollutants better. Coney Island is technically, I think?, on the bay. But I doubt if the water in Long Beach is any cleaner than Rockaway. After all, they are only separated by a bridge.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
They might not be rich but they are definitely more than middle class. I would say upper middle class at the very least.
And I doubt they any get tickets, if they have their own driveways and garages to park their cars on.
As for the signs, they are put there like I said; to prevent the masses from over-crowding their streets.
And it's not the police who decides where to put signs, it's the DOT who calls the shots on that. Usally under the request of council-members who advocate for their constituent's wants and needs.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,589,580 times
Quote:
Long Beach is probably one of the best. Clean sand, clean water and also a very nice town with lots of bars and restaurants two blocks from the beach. $12 a person to get in.
Long beach is nice but dont even think about trying to enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine. They have security/police patrolling the sand all day looking for anyone drinking alcohol and will issue you a ticket right there and make you dump whatever alcohol you have left. I can understand wanting to keep the beach clean and peaceful, but I've even witnessed them wake a man up from his sleep and ask them if they can inspect his cooler. Another time they asked a man if they can inspect what's in his cup and even put their nose up to the cup to smell if he had alcohol in it. Plust $12/pp is quite steep when you can travel to any other beach in Long Island and get charged per car rather than per person. Jones beach charges $12 per car on wknds regardless of how many people are with you. I personally go to Point Lookout beach with is along the same stretch of sand that Long beach is. Its $25 per car for non resident but well worth it. If you want to enjoy a nice peaceful day at the beach, avoid Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Orchard Beach, and Rockaway beach 116th street.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 PM

67 posts, read 244,510 times
According to the samples taken by the Natural Resources Defence, only one beach in the Rockaways (in Breezy Point) had samples that had exceeded the state standards in regards to contamination. Testing The Waters, Prevent Beach Pollution - New York | NRDC

As far as where to go, the beaches above 116th are definitely tamer and quieter but you can also go into the 80s and 90s and early 100s where the concessions are, ever since they were taken over by the Rockaway Taco people, they've had musical bands and different kind of food, also alcohol. Though the 90s beaches tend to get crowded fast because of the train stops and the fact the beaches are much smaller than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City