Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 29,956 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My partner has just agreed to move into an apartment in Crown Heights at Franklin and Prospect Place. He's a first time New Yorker moving there to attend graduate school at Parson's. He's a white guy but has done a lot of work in his hometown in our projects so he's not a stranger to low income neighborhoods... He enjoys being in communities of color.

I read a lot of posts that said the area was fine to dangerous. What is the nature of the crimes? I noted there was mugging issues and possible some gunfire in the area. Is this attributed to gang violence? Racial tension? Poverty?

His intention is to go and meet people in the neighborhood which we believe is the way to feel safe in a neighborhood.

I'm looking for someone who LIVES in the neighborhood to give us a fair assessment of what we should prepare for, what the folks who live there would like from new transplants, etc. Also would love to hear from whites and different people of color who live there so we feel confident there isn't a racial spin on the review.

Much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
I have been looking to move to that area, you two will be fine, it is definitely a neighborhood that is changing, especially that portion of the neighborhood. There has been a few late night times with people being robbed, but nothing beyond being aware of your surroundings in a big city. There is a lot of things on Franklin and it does get a bit noisy during the weekends. Anyway good luck with your new place.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
We'll, I don't live in Crown Heights but I do live off Franklin Ave in Bed-Stuy and follow this Crown Heights blog I love Franklin Ave in case there is anything interesting (or concerning!) going on over the border in Crown Heights.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
When you say your "partner" I am assuming you are a gay couple (disregard any of this if that's not the case). Anyway, please understand that a large percentage of the black, Caribbean, and Hasidic populations in that area as a whole generally are not really wired to accept that lifestyle. So just keep that in mind while holding hands or exhibiting PDA while walking the streets and whatnot. That's just reality and I'm giving it to you straight. Despite what some might claim about me being a homophobe blah blah blah after this post.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 29,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
When you say your "partner" I am assuming you are a gay couple (disregard any of this if that's not the case). Anyway, please understand that a large percentage of the black, Caribbean, and Hasidic populations in that area as a whole generally are not really wired to accept that lifestyle. So just keep that in mind while holding hands or exhibiting PDA while walking the streets and whatnot. That's just reality and I'm giving it to you straight. Despite what some might claim about me being a homophobe blah blah blah after this post.

Thanks for the straight talk. We are actually a heterosexual couple, lol. We are in our mid thirties and it just seems silly to say "boyfriend" being a committed long term couple that is choosing not to get married.

It also helps weed out homophobes .

Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Understood...

Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM

106 posts, read 353,028 times
I had a Jewish female roommate live in a studio there 3~ years ago. There's an awesome bar there called Franklin Park. Though I remember for her the times she would come home late, she told me she would either take the cab or bike home. Aside from that I don't think anything bad really happened to her. Oh and some bloods or Crypts gangs are known to live in Crown Heights

Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funniesaru View Post
Hi!

My partner has just agreed to move into an apartment in Crown Heights at Franklin and Prospect Place. He's a first time New Yorker moving there to attend graduate school at Parson's. He's a white guy but has done a lot of work in his hometown in our projects so he's not a stranger to low income neighborhoods... He enjoys being in communities of color.

I read a lot of posts that said the area was fine to dangerous. What is the nature of the crimes? I noted there was mugging issues and possible some gunfire in the area. Is this attributed to gang violence? Racial tension? Poverty?

His intention is to go and meet people in the neighborhood which we believe is the way to feel safe in a neighborhood.

I'm looking for someone who LIVES in the neighborhood to give us a fair assessment of what we should prepare for, what the folks who live there would like from new transplants, etc. Also would love to hear from whites and different people of color who live there so we feel confident there isn't a racial spin on the review.

Much appreciated! Thank you!
Franklin Avenue has changed a lot in the past 15 years....There's plenty of new people moving into the neighborhood at this point so I think the initial transition phase is over. It's pretty clear now as to the future of the area. However, crime wise it's still an above average crime area. Summertime expect to hear some gunshots and maybe witness a crime or two. I think for the average person living in the area, it's fine to go hang out in the area at night and partake in the neighborhood bars. I went to Franklin Park a few weeks ago and really enjoyed myself, and walked from there to Nostrand and Fulton at like 2:30 in the morning, but I'm a black male accustomed to high crime areas. That being said, 15 years ago I might have thought twice about making that walk.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 06-25-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,128 times
I like the typical row houses

Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,128 times
crown heights row houses - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City