Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM

208 posts, read 464,667 times

Advertisements

Actually I walk everywhere in Manhattan....so hell why not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM

71 posts, read 149,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Actually I walk everywhere in Manhattan....so hell why not!
I walk over 60 blocks to get to work some days to save money since I pay MARKET RENT right now but I wouldn't criticize someone for taking the bus somewhere. I work 30+ hours a week (at 2 part-time jobs) but it's getting hard to keep up with the ever rising MARKET RENT hence my applying to NYCHA.

I blame the system that doesn't allow everyone who works a decent amount to be able to afford a home at MARKET RENT.

Edit: And I'm living in a studio, I feel sorry for low-income working single parents who wouldn't be allowed by most landlords to rent a studio due to having children.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,940,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
You seem to be ignorant of the fact that (due to the 1/3 income rule) one can easily make enough money from work to pay the NYCHA rent and a smartphone bill, but not enough to live comfortably outside that system.

Think of someone working 30 hours a week at 8$ an hour. Can they pay the NYCHA rent and still afford a smartphone plan? Yes. Can they move out and survive on their BELOW $1000 monthly income? Very likely NO especially they have a family and are the only member working.
I assure you that I am in no way ignorant regarding any part of that system. Indeed, I am a participant in contributing to the reform of this and related systems.

You have just explained why many would like to do away with public housing in New York. Someone working 30 hours at only $8 an hour needs to get a second job. Just like the rest of us. Or how about getting those other family members working ? How many children do they have ? They need to work to get ahead and earn more, or if they choose not to, they cannot expect others to subsidize them. Rent stabilization is enough of a subsidy.

Around here, there are many major public housing complexes, and yet, the restaurants on FD Blvd. cannot keep help, people just leave or are incompetent and fired. The large shopping complex that opened in East Harlem could not even meet its quota for local people, because they could not find enough applicants in Harlem who could pass the drug test and whose records were free of felony convictions. Just to pre-empt the story that I feel sure will be coming regarding "unemployment" and all.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I blame the system that doesn't allow everyone who works a decent amount to be able to afford a home at MARKET RENT.
What "system" ? You need to be more specific.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 PM

The HOUSING MARKET system is broken when people who work 30, or even 40 hours a week (if they have a family) have such difficulty finding an apartment they can even afford to pay for.

40 hours a week at $8=$1280 before taxes. Good luck finding a 2 bedroom (or even a 1 bedroom probably?) and still afford to buy clothes, commute to work, etc. with that.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Billy I don't have a problem with people using Nycha. It was a program set up to help people. The problem I have is when people feel entitled to it. Then when living on it or section 8 or whatever else you blow money on things other people would consider luxury items. While those others can't afford such things because they pay market rent but now they can since they only pay a few hundred for rent.
I hear you on market rents being to high. It's hard for me to.
This is not meant at you but in general. Whatever happened to people working and do what was needed to get themselves or their families by. Or people being ashamed to be on the system and using it to get ahead then quickly getting off it. It just seems nobody wants to work, no one has any pride to provide for themselves, everyone wants a free ride.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
The HOUSING MARKET system is broken when people who work 30, or even 40 hours a week (if they have a family) have such difficulty finding an apartment they can even afford to pay for.

40 hours a week at $8=$1280 before taxes. Good luck finding a 2 bedroom (or even a 1 bedroom probably?) and still afford to buy clothes, commute to work, etc. with that.
Affordable housing opportunities ? Rent stabilized buildings ? These exist, and they are not in the short supply some would have you believe. Certainly, they are opportunities that should go to working rather than subsidized people, and this is changing, but still ... there are opportunities. You must be financially responsible for many of them.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Billy I don't have a problem with people using Nycha. It was a program set up to help people. The problem I have is when people feel entitled to it. Then when living on it or section 8 or whatever else you blow money on things other people would consider luxury items. While those others can't afford such things because they pay market rent but now they can since they only pay a few hundred for rent.
I hear you on market rents being to high. It's hard for me to.
This is not meant at you but in general. Whatever happened to people working and do what was needed to get themselves or their families by. Or people being ashamed to be on the system and using it to get ahead then quickly getting off it. It just seems nobody wants to work, no one has any pride to provide for themselves, everyone wants a free ride.
Again if they are working and they move into public housing, keep working and have money left over, what exactly should they be "allowed" to spend that money on?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to people working and do what was needed to get themselves or their families by. Or people being ashamed to be on the system and using it to get ahead then quickly getting off it. It just seems nobody wants to work, no one has any pride to provide for themselves, everyone wants a free ride.
I agree and think this mentality will be ending, no longer tolerated, or strongly curtailed.

The working and middle class are broke and need a break.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Try SAVING IT to get ahead so you can get the F*** off the system and provide for yourself.....It's simple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City