Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 AM

3 posts, read 61,262 times

Advertisements

I have been acceppted to housing and saw the apartment and was told to take 2 months rent. now what happens? The managment people were not that talkative, and help in what the process is once i give in the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 AM

176 posts, read 374,542 times
One reason possibly for the 2 month to rent time may be the amount of work required to renovate the apartment to move-in condition for new tenants. It can vary from amount of vacancies ahead of this one, personnel to do the job, material needed, or host of other factors. I was a former employee of NYCHA before I moved to another City Agency. At times, there were good/ bad days when it came to setting up these apartments. There were times when I was stripping newly vacated apartments when prospective tenants would come & look at apts. Sometimes a apt could be turned over in 2 weeks. Some I remember wouldn't be done for 3-4 months. There are a variety of factors, some maintenance, some management. Usually after work is completed & the apt. is turned back over to mgmt. for final inspection, the tenant is brought in to look over the apt. & if accepted, go back to the office for lease processing where they explain your lease, rules, maintenance, and all else. Then you receive your keys once all parties are satisfied. At least, this is how I remembered it, but time has past since I've left & each development may work differently. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 61,262 times
Thank you so much nabz28ss, at least you were able to give so information that i was not told at the office, i was just at lost as to just be told "we will call you", it would have been nice to be told why, thank you,, just hope it don't take long, i waited for six years already .

Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 41,309 times
how long does it take to get an interview i had sent form in and choose berry houses on staten island and does anyone have any feedback

Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 11,447 times
hi i just selected my project in ocean-bay far rock away wen i selected it the paper stated it was AA mediated vacancy already n i am on a waiting list to view the apt how long do u think it will take to be called if i am priority 4 with four children i am a litle worried i need to move from my apt now dont have no idea what to do

Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 10,329 times
If anyone knows the answer please let me know. I already had the interview, and my application was sent to the housing project. I called the project to find out how much longer do I have to wait, but they tell me a computer does the selection. Right now we are living in a shelter, and I have to wait for a computer selects me. My question is; How long (in average) after your application is sent to a project does a person wait to get an apartment? Should I be looking for another apartment, because it will be a long wait? Or does anyone think I have a chance of being called soon?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:16 PM

19 posts, read 58,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosadivina View Post
I have been acceppted to housing and saw the apartment and was told to take 2 months rent. now what happens? The managment people were not that talkative, and help in what the process is once i give in the money?

what happens when you reject an apt fron nycha? would you get a second opportunity?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM

172 posts, read 590,022 times
If you reject a apartment or development, they put you back on the list and you might never get another chance, get your foot in the door, take what they show you and transfer to another development or apt later!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 PM

172 posts, read 590,022 times
Jinetrobels was the vacancy a anticipated vacancy? Or a immediate anticipated vacancy? Does it matter? Who knows? That computer system is a mystery to me....it's suppose to give the needier familys more priority and since your still in the shelter system you should have top priority.....I heard anywhere from 3 months to 18 months....good luck though, I hope you start the new year off in a new apt, mabye we'll be neighbors.........by the way, I tried to put in for a transfer but my housing assistant told me there was a freeze on transfers and for new people getting apts. did anyone else hear this? I don't want to start rumors on here or discourage anyone..my housing assistant was probably blowing me off, the only reason I'm mentioning it is to find out if any other Nycha residents heard anything about this....

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinetRobles1 View Post
If anyone knows the answer please let me know. I already had the interview, and my application was sent to the housing project. I called the project to find out how much longer do I have to wait, but they tell me a computer does the selection. Right now we are living in a shelter, and I have to wait for a computer selects me. My question is; How long (in average) after your application is sent to a project does a person wait to get an apartment? Should I be looking for another apartment, because it will be a long wait? Or does anyone think I have a chance of being called soon?
I've been livin in a shelter since Sept 2008! I applied for NYCHA around March 2009..got a quick response for an interview in May 2009. After my interview I got a letter sayn i was accepted in July 2009 and a list of facilities to choose from. I chose Parkside (which stated 1 Anticipated vacancy) in the bronx after weighing my options and returned the letter by early August. After no word for about a month I contacted housing in sept 2009 and was told that my application was sent to the facility i chose. I've been calln parkside once a month ever since and everytime i get the same ans.." it depends on how fast the people move out..u just have to wait, the computer chooses the names!".... I"m still waitin... I'm a single mom with a full time job but i can't afford $800 and $900 rent. I've tried calln the main office for housing and get the same crappy response..even the lady who works for housing told me that the computer system is just stupid.
I am listed as category 4 so I don"t know what preference I'm given. I tried apt hunting on my own but they don"t wanna take P.A. upfront cause they don't wanna wait to process the paperwork. Right now I'm just tryn to be patient. the shelter I'm in is very clean and quiet and i don't have to share my room with anyone. In the mean time i am just using the oppertunity to save so that when i get my own place i don't fall back in the shelter system again.
it's good that the government offers help for those who need it but the way they go about it is so unorganized.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City