Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 AM

79 posts, read 435,416 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Next year I will be finishing my undergraduate degree at City College of New York. I have lived at home throughout my undergraduate career and would like to try living on my own for a couple of reasons. First off, I currently commute form Jamaica and it takes me an hour and change to get to school everyday, and it sucks. Second, I wanna be a little independent.

I currently have 4 k saved up and have a summer internship that will pay me 1.8k. I will also get 5k this summer (there was a delay in scholarship payments this spring). So by the time it's time to go to back to school (the fall) I'll have over 11k saved up. I've been looking at sites like craiglist and padmapper and there are alot of ads throughout campus that advertise rooms in the area (Harlem/Morninside) for 600 a month. I will receive 7k from scholarships next year that I can put towards living expenses. That means I'll have about 18k to get by on next year. I tutor part time and can expect 200-500 month from that during the school year.

I don't mind living in Harlem as I've grown up in housing projects all my life. But is 18k enough to live alone for a year? I budgeted for books, rent, utilities and phone, Food, Laundry, transportation (unlimited metro card), and miscellaneous expenses and it came to 14k, so I should have a decent buffer I think. I don't own a car and get health insurance through my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,386,713 times
Why not get a job first, with your newly establish, abilities first, then move out. The last thing you want to exprience is donating your money to any landlord superpower. The landlords are like vultures waiting for people to rent their rooms. That is all they care about. I can feel your need to have your freedom. But freedom comes at a price.

landlords, are grinding their teeth, when they see fresh meat. They love the feeling of raining money. They want somebody to move in, who can't pay the rent, so they can raise the price upwards. I assume you are going to travel portable. Just make sure you have a stable position, that is all I can say. Once the money is gone, it is gone.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 PM

371 posts, read 626,624 times
I know you are impatient and want to live on your own but it's only one more year and that money can go to better places, like a savings account. If I had the chance to do it again, I would have stayed home until I earned my undergrad degree. One more year is not a lot to sacrifice though at the moment it may seem like it is.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:01 PM

208 posts, read 464,938 times
Sounds like you have everything well thought out. The only thing I would add is to get a part time job once school starts.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 AM

5,526 posts, read 8,797,246 times
As long as you can get a room within your bdget, I'd say go for it now.

Everyone needs to learn how to live on their own, and let's face it: Real estate in NYC will not be any cheaper next year.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM

79 posts, read 435,416 times
Thank you all for your advice. To the people saying hold off on moving, I've thought of your concerns but ultimately I'm going to give it a shot. Just wanted to get people's opinions on if it was feasible, what to expect, etc...

Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,337,221 times
You sound like you have a very solid head on your shoulders and have thought through this carefully- so I say go for it. However, I do second the opinion of getting a part time job once school starts. Something that wont be too demanding and cut into your studies but will allow from some extra cash "just in case".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City