Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM

18 posts, read 64,102 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I may be starting law school at Fordham, NYU, or Columbia in the fall. My living expenses will be funded almost entirely via student loans, paid in two lump-sum payments. What is the best way to qualify for renting an apartment in Manhattan?

I'm concerned that student loan funds may not be technically be considered "income" for a landlord, even though these funds are more certain than a salary (i.e. I can't "lose my job"). Would it be possible to convince a landlord to consider these funds "income"? Since I'm paid in two lump-sum payments, do you think a landlord would be open to two 6-month rent prepayments? Any other ideas (besides subletting)?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:05 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snazia89 View Post
Hi,
I'm concerned that student loan funds may not be technically be considered "income" for a landlord, even though these funds are more certain than a salary (i.e. I can't "lose my job")....

Thank you!
No,but you could flunk out(or flake out),right ?
What's the difference ?
Most will probably require a co-signer under the circumstances but I'm sure you will be able to find something

Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 AM

182 posts, read 511,773 times
i'm sure the loan company/bank sent you a letter verifying the amounts you'll receive and when you'll receive them...try showing that to the landlord and convince him that it's just as good as a job. also, try to pick up a part time job to further entice the landlord.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,578 times
I still don't understand why has to be in Manhattan? Why not consider Brooklyn or Queens with 30~45 mins commute? Millions of New Yorkers do that every day. It is better to cut down the debt load.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,but you could flunk out(or flake out),right ?
What's the difference ?
Most will probably require a co-signer under the circumstances but I'm sure you will be able to find something
Big difference. By definition, you can't flunk out until grades come out at the end of the year. For that year, your living expenses are funded via a guaranteed federal loan.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
My old roommate is graduating from NYU law this spring and he never had trouble getting an apartment using loans. He did have to provide a guarantor, but that wasn't a problem for him. Just don't expect to be living large.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
i'm sure the loan company/bank sent you a letter verifying the amounts you'll receive and when you'll receive them...try showing that to the landlord and convince him that it's just as good as a job. also, try to pick up a part time job to further entice the landlord.
Shouldn't be a problem. My dad is also willing to co-sign, but he doesn't make 80-100x rent (more like 40-50x). You think bank letter + part-time job + cosigner w/40-50x would be work?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
I still don't understand why has to be in Manhattan? Why not consider Brooklyn or Queens with 30~45 mins commute? Millions of New Yorkers do that every day. It is better to cut down the debt load.
It's an option, but I'm trying to dedicate as much time as possible to studying so I can get the grades I need to find a job in this economy...

But would it be easier for me to qualify in Brooklyn/Queens?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
My old roommate is graduating from NYU law this spring and he never had trouble getting an apartment using loans. He did have to provide a guarantor, but that wasn't a problem for him. Just don't expect to be living large.
Not a problem at all. I'm thinking small but close to the school. My problem is finding a guarantor with 80-100x rent...

Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
Well, he had a tiny room up in West Harlem that cost him $500 a month, so finding a guarantor wasn't too hard ($40-50,000).

If you go to Columbia, you can get a cheap room two subway stops away up near City College. NYU- you'll be hard pressed to find anything particularly cheap near the campus. I don't know about Fordham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City