Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,867 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'll be in Manhattan for 3 weeks this July and I'm coming from Ireland so I want to make the most of it! I'll be spending 3 mornings a week at the NYU Medical School Bellevue Hospital in Kips Bay so it would be handy to be near enough to there but I will also have friends in the Upper East Side and I'd definitely prioritise being in a fun area with lots on my doorstep.

I'm a student so cheap shops and restaurants are good, I like colourful neighbourhoods with lots going on, galleries, thrift shops, theatres, parks, bars and clubs, different ethnicities, a good music scene. Gay friendly would be nice too as my girlfriend will be with me for the last 10 days.

At the moment I'm looking for vacation rentals on Craig's List and the like, there seem to be plenty of studios and one bedrooms for $40-$50 dollars per night with everything included, which would be ok between the two of us. I haven't started enquiring about dates yet so hopefully that won't be a problem.

I'm assuming I should be looking in the Greenwich Village/Washington Sq./Union Sq. vicinities, would that be about right? Anything more specific? I'd never heard of Kips Bay or Alphabet City before I started looking into this, should I consider them as well? Or if there's a neighbourhood between where my hospital is and where my friends will be that sounds like what I'm looking for that would be even better!

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Laceta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Try Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb . I think I would trust it more than craigslist. $40-$50 per night for Manhattan sounds WAY too cheap, esp. for two people. Perhaps the "Manhattan" rentals you are looking for are in Manhattan but in neighborhoods like East Harlem and Washington Heights (neighborhoods you most likely won't want to stay in, as a tourist)

Are you looking Manhattan or the other boroughs? If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Something like this Amazing Gorgeous And Astonished 1 Bedroom Apartment For Your Vacation (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/2987533216.html - broken link)
is most definitely a scam.

It says it's $50 a night for a one bedroom in Greenwich Village, and shows these beautiful photos. Well, just do the math. $50 x 30 (nights) is $1500. A real one bedroom in Greenwich Village on a monthly basis costs more like $3000 to $5000, not $1500. There is no way an apartment advertised for $50 a night in that area isn't a scam.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Something like this Amazing Gorgeous And Astonished 1 Bedroom Apartment For Your Vacation (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/2987533216.html - broken link)

It says it's $50 a night for a one bedroom in Greenwich Village, and shows these beautiful photos. Well, just do the math. $50 x 30 (nights) is $1500. A real one bedroom in Greenwich Village on a monthly basis costs more like $3000 to $5000, not $1500. There is no way an apartment advertised for $50 a night in that area isn't a scam.
Yeah I looked at that. I live in a rather nice alcove studio for $3000. If that was legit I'd be moving my stuff right in. Those images aren't even all from the same building. Some are of a house.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM

393 posts, read 783,188 times
Quote:

Ha! I've never seen a kitchen of that size or a bathroom with two sinks and a separate room for the toilet anywhere in Manhattan much less for $50 a night.

Laceta..I think you have the areas right except maybe Kips Bay. Alphabet City is good, but I wouldn't stay past Avenue B (maybe between B and C would be my cut off). To me, some areas east of B feel a little dodgy at night.

Having said that though, what you are looking at sounds like scams. TripAdvisor explains why NYC vacation rentals are a bad idea pretty well

New York City: Vacation Apartment Rentals - TripAdvisor

Most short-term apartment rentals are illegal. That doesn't mean people don't do it, but they really shouldn't. Aside from inconveniencing people that live here, it's a huge gamble. Everything can go fine (although you'd definitely have to pay way more than $50 a night), or it can go very very wrong (you get here and find out that you were scammed, the apt. is not there, bait-and-switch...etc.).

A hotel is really your best bet

Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceta View Post
Hi there,

I'll be in Manhattan for 3 weeks this July and I'm coming from Ireland so I want to make the most of it! I'll be spending 3 mornings a week at the NYU Medical School Bellevue Hospital in Kips Bay so it would be handy to be near enough to there but I will also have friends in the Upper East Side and I'd definitely prioritise being in a fun area with lots on my doorstep.

I'm a student so cheap shops and restaurants are good, I like colourful neighbourhoods with lots going on, galleries, thrift shops, theatres, parks, bars and clubs, different ethnicities, a good music scene. Gay friendly would be nice too as my girlfriend will be with me for the last 10 days.

At the moment I'm looking for vacation rentals on Craig's List and the like, there seem to be plenty of studios and one bedrooms for $40-$50 dollars per night with everything included, which would be ok between the two of us. I haven't started enquiring about dates yet so hopefully that won't be a problem.

I'm assuming I should be looking in the Greenwich Village/Washington Sq./Union Sq. vicinities, would that be about right? Anything more specific? I'd never heard of Kips Bay or Alphabet City before I started looking into this, should I consider them as well? Or if there's a neighbourhood between where my hospital is and where my friends will be that sounds like what I'm looking for that would be even better!

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Laceta
Are you a medical student? I'm surprised that either your home institution or the hospital you are visiting won't help you out with this. In my opinion, Craigslist is a little sketchy regarding short term housing. A lot of that stuff is against the rules of the building you'd be staying in and that could make for some complications.

I think you should also consider a hotel.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times
Another thing you may want to consider is how much you like living amongst rats. Apparently all of the village/Alphabet City is rat haven. If you like that kind of thing, give the village a look for sure!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Another thing you may want to consider is how much you like living amongst rats. Apparently all of the village/Alphabet City is rat haven. If you like that kind of thing, give the village a look for sure!
Apparently to whom? Have you even been there?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM

393 posts, read 783,188 times
Quote:
Apparently to whom? Have you even been there?
Seriously. That's nonsense. Last time I saw a rat around here was in the beginning of the winter next to an empty lot. That's basically the same thing I can say about any area of the city. The rats are around, but they are not exactly breaking into your apartment or running up your pants. You'll hardly see them unless you are staring down at the subway tracks.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Seriously. That's nonsense. Last time I saw a rat around here was in the beginning of the winter next to an empty lot. That's basically the same thing I can say about any area of the city. The rats are around, but they are not exactly breaking into your apartment or running up your pants. You'll hardly see them unless you are staring down at the subway tracks.
Or hanging out at Tompkins Square park...or walking down St. mark's place or many other streets at night.

Rats Invade East Village, Winning The Battle Against All Others - WPIX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City