Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times

Advertisements

This brings up an interesting discussion.

If the original companies still existed and they weren't all consolidated under the mta, how would service be today? I bet you the third ave el would still be running to 149th, I also believe that the D would probably be extended towards gun hill rd as originally proposed.

I think its pitiful that we don't have any true airport links within the city already, I remember when I was a kid in the 90's there was talk of extending the train to Laguardia but from what I understand the nimbys wouldn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post

If the original companies still existed and they weren't all consolidated under the mta, how would service be today?
You've actually brought up two different issues--both equally interesting.

1. If the original companies existed today. My guess is that there would be more service; projects like the Utica Avenue subway and the Winfield spur (which would have run a subway line from the Roosevelt Avenue station all the way to JFK) might have gotten off the planning boards.

2. Consolidated under MTA. New York City took over all operations from the IRT and BMT in 1940. MTA wasn't created until 1965 (and, thanks to Mayor Lindsay's unexpected insistence on this, New York City has the right to pull New York City Transit out of MTA. Not very likely to happen, but there's always hope).

Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Right now buses cover the links, and the sad part is these are crappy buses because of the demand for them. (i.e the buses between Brooklyn and Staten Island and between the Bronx and Queens).

Considering how many bridges we have between the Bronx and Queens, there could cohesively be a railway made in between. I also think more people would live in Staten Island if there were better ways to get to other parts of the city other than a ferry or express bus. But I am guessing the NIMBYs would protest this until hell freezes over.

There are lots of areas that could desperately use more transit options or more convenient coverage to main areas. The problem is where will the money come from to make it and will the lawmakers allow it to pass.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM

255 posts, read 475,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post

If the original companies still existed and they weren't all consolidated under the mta, how would service be today? I bet you the third ave el would still be running to 149th, I also believe that the D would probably be extended towards gun hill rd as originally proposed.

I think its pitiful that we don't have any true airport links within the city already, I remember when I was a kid in the 90's there was talk of extending the train to Laguardia but from what I understand the nimbys wouldn't have it.
I doubt anything would have changed from what they built. It actually would have been worse. That's why the IND was created. The BMT and IRT were not organizations that worked towards passenger convenience and more towards the money. Plus, they really didn't like building new lines since it would dilute their profits. The IND would not have been able to build the new lines for the same reasons that NYCT as a whole couldn't. We should all know what those are by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Right now buses cover the links, and the sad part is these are crappy buses because of the demand for them. (i.e the buses between Brooklyn and Staten Island and between the Bronx and Queens).

Considering how many bridges we have between the Bronx and Queens, there could cohesively be a railway made in between. I also think more people would live in Staten Island if there were better ways to get to other parts of the city other than a ferry or express bus. But I am guessing the NIMBYs would protest this until hell freezes over.

There are lots of areas that could desperately use more transit options or more convenient coverage to main areas. The problem is where will the money come from to make it and will the lawmakers allow it to pass.
1. The buses aren't crappy. They just need longer buses. The Q44 is currently receiving new 60ft buses as we speak. The S53 is fine and is frequent. Same for the S79.

2. Staten Island would have had a subway if they weren't the ones who were against it. Back somewhere between 1915-1920, construction was begun by the BMT, on a cross Narrows Subway but S.I and Mayor Hylan was against it. The Verrazanno Bridge was designed to handle way more weight that it currently carries, making carrying a rail link possible. Robert Moses, the designer, was more for the automobile and not for rail and foot traffic. Which is also why you don't see pedestrian walkways or even a railway provision, on the bridge. And the express bus actually makes the subway/ferry/bus combo look like the slowest thing ever. This coming from experience.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Tri-borough RX! New Yorkers between the outer boroughs would visit each other at home more often if the ride was shorter!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Tri-borough RX! New Yorkers between the outer boroughs would visit each other at home more often if the ride was shorter!
Its not happening....no space on the Hell Gate...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM

255 posts, read 475,797 times
It would still be a long ride anyway.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I think the worst defect of the otherwise-comprehensive subway system is it doesn't reach the airport. To JFK, there is a connection to the Airtrain, but there is nothing to LGA (Granted that may not be such a loss, but sometimes that's your only choice). And of course EWR is across the Hudson and beyond MTA's jurisdiction. But even such lesser cities as Dallas and Minneapolis, even Phoenix, are better connected.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:48 PM

309 posts, read 900,491 times
Default Time for new subway routes

Query the ridership to find out what they need in new subway routes. It's time.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:42 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I believe the short answer is that the companies were trying to connect Manhattan (the commercial center) with the "bedroom" communities in the outer boroughs rather than focusing on the connections between the outer boroughs themselves. As for Staten Island, I guess it wasn't profitable or feasible back then to build a subway connection between Manhattan and Staten Island (and not profitable Brooklyn/Staten Island or Bronx/Queens).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City