Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which borough is the best: Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, The Bronx or Brooklyn to bring up a yo
Manhattan 12 19.05%
Brooklyn 8 12.70%
Queens 20 31.75%
Staten Island 10 15.87%
The Bronx 8 12.70%
None 2 3.17%
Not Sure 3 4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,314 times

Advertisements

Which borough is the best: Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, The Bronx or Brooklyn to bring up a young family today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 01:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,314 times
I'm from Queens and my wife is proud of her "The Bronx."

Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I guess it depends on lots of things like how much money you have, where you want to send your kids to school (or where you can afford to), where you work and how long your commute will be from each of those places, and where your family (support network) is.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I guess it depends on lots of things like how much money you have, where you want to send your kids to school (or where you can afford to), where you work and how long your commute will be from each of those places, and where your family (support network) is.
Agree completely. This is too subjective to be very informative.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Which borough is the best: Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, The Bronx or Brooklyn to bring up a young family today?
As others have said, it's really a highly subjective issue. And money is not ALWAYS the deciding factor, though indeed it can be for some.

For example, I've lived in Manhattan on the UWS for decades but now prefer Queens not just for myself but for a hypothetical family. Then even WITHIN a borough, people have NEIGHBORHOOD preferences, Again, the only part of Manhattn I personally like living in is the UWS not Fifth Avenue or Soho. The only part of Queens I'd prefer are Forest Hills or Kew Gardens.

Hence you can see that one's income, personal agenda, one's likes/dislikes for neighborhood, type of housing, how close one wishes to be to school, job, whether one wishes a yard, a car, walkability of neighborhood including to shopping, even one's chronological age - these can all determine where in our magnificent city of five boroughs one wishes to live.

Don't let others' preferences - including mine - determine for you. NYC is a great place to be and save for really sketchy areas, one can enjoy life immensely in any borough. For starters you might want to visit another thread which discusses Manhattan vs outer boroughs. Don't know how one provides a link to it here but you can do a search on the index page.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
I dont know why so many people picked the Bronx when two of its neighborhoods were among the "worst neighborhoods to raise kids" article:

Mott Haven was the worst.

University Heights has the largest kid to park ratio. In other words, seriously lacking in parks for kids to play in.

Bayside was the best.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,582 times
The boroughs have different #s of types of neighborhoods, but it's impossible to answer the question because they all share the same types anyway... well... Manhattan and staten don't share anything, but other than that haha.

Queens may be better on average than the Bronx, but most people would probably prefer to raise their kid in Throgs Neck over East Elmhurst if they had to make that choice.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
And there are several neighborhoods in Brooklyn that would be great for bringing up a family. (I live in Midwood--which anyone could be pardoned for thinking they'd taken a wrong turn and wound up in the suburbs, because that's what it looks like!) Offhand, Bay Ridge and Bath Beach come to mind, as well. Oh, and did I leave out Victorian Flatbush...or if you've got the money, Brooklyn Heights.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
My parents decided to move from Queens when I was 3 and my sister was 8. My parents grew up in the city and both agreed that the suburbs were better to raise children, so off we went to Long Island. I'm glad we did. There's a lot more things to do for kids in the suburbs. Of course you can't ride your bike to as many places, but it doesn't matter. I was really involved in sports and other things.

I plan on moving to LI with my fiance to raise our future kids. But if I had to choose a borough, it would be Queens.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My parents decided to move from Queens when I was 3 and my sister was 8. My parents grew up in the city and both agreed that the suburbs were better to raise children, so off we went to Long Island. I'm glad we did. There's a lot more things to do for kids in the suburbs. Of course you can't ride your bike to as many places, but it doesn't matter. I was really involved in sports and other things.

I plan on moving to LI with my fiance to raise our future kids. But if I had to choose a borough, it would be Queens.
Rachel, I understand your perspective and wish you and your fiance a nice life when you move and start your family in L.I.

I too choose Queens - but over both Manhattan and Long Island. Long Island has its pluses and minuses for me as does Manhattan. What I like about Queens is that in a vague kind of way, one can get a little of both - a little of the L.I. as well as the Manhattan ambience. You're in NYC yet in some parts of Queens, you can have a house with a little yard and a driveway. So my vote would be Queens - even though I recognize the tremendous pluses for both Manhattan and L.I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City