Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My impression is that most of the issues from public housing are from anti-social behavior from (some not all) of the tenants, not so much the building conditions.
For the most part (excluding elevator issues and normal wear tear for 50-60 years old buildings) this is truth. Those NYCHA buildings are solid as a rock.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,384,015 times
And honestly I don't believe they need to be torn down. I think they need a new goal of mixed income, as well as cosmetic improvements like new corridors/lobby, and new facades/exteriors to make them more appealing to a broader group. This will likely never happen until they are fully or partially privatized.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
You guys know what are the cheapest public housing projects out of The Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn? Where are they located, and how much is the rent? How much would my salary have to be, for me to be able to "survive" or "live well" in the public housing projects? Specifics on location and the overall quality or standard of living inside the apartment would be nice. Also, information about the neighborhood would be really nice too. The more information the better!
Also i'm planning to be an Automotive Technition once I leave High School.
I had took a visit in New York from late December thru new years. I wanna go back. Newport News Virginia seems so dead now.
Thanks for the future feedback!
So you want to come and live on MY DIME, because you have NYC wet dreams!?

Go to COLLEGE!! Get a marketable degree which will earn you a decent NYC lifestyle.

What is public housing like?

They'll steal your tools the first night! Then you won't be able to work the next day. So much for wet dreams....

Quote:
So when I finish my HVAC or Auto Tech degree at my trade school in Virginia, will my skills transfer over there (in NYC) so that I may have a job (to pay for the rent)?
NO!

It is not a matter of your skills "transfer[ing]", it is more a matter that NYC is not a no experience, low level blue collar town!!!

Quote:
Where do the 100k people who are waiting, live? Outside of NYC, waiting to move in?
They live here!

Dark Days - Trailer HD 720p - YouTube

Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,936 times
jcoltrane:I'm going to a two year program that gives you virginia certification of HVAC or Advanced auto tech. Are you telling my an automotive or HVAC degree after highschool is useless in NYC? Because if it is, then f'ck NY, im staying in right here in Hampton Roads Virginia.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
Quote:
jcoltrane:I'm going to a two year program that gives you virginia certification of HVAC or Advanced auto tech. Are you telling my an automotive or HVAC degree after highschool is useless in NYC? Because if it is, then f'ck NY, im staying in right here in Hampton Roads Virginia.

Have you considered DC/Northern Virginia?

You're probably easily employable there, your cert will be more straightforward, and rent is somewhat less than NYC (though a lot higher than Hampton Roads) And looking and getting info should be easier.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/trd/

a lot of the listings require experience, but I would keep trying anyway

Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM

I see so many HVAC ads! You helped me out a lot here, thank you.
It seems like moving to NYC would be too much of a hassle, I mean how hard could it be?(to work in NYC with VA HVAC certification straight outta community college)

Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,410,723 times
maybe somebody stacked up in the overcrowded,
pissy projects of nyc wouldn't mind trading places
with you.

..sounds like you have it better in virginia lol.

Last edited by 11KAP; 04-11-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Tis better down here.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
bro if you trying to move to NYC i would come visit somebody you know and try to find a job 1st.. once u have a job go on craigslist u can find a 1 bedroom apartment for like 1100 dollars just not in manhattan unless u in the hood around dyckman u might but the projects aint any better.. #JUST SAYING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City