Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times

Advertisements

This thread is for public housing in Manhattan MINUS- LES and Uptown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Okay? Like what?

I know there's the Amsterdam houses along Amsterdam in the 60s. As well as Chelsea houses somewhere in the 30s. Other than that, most everything not in the LES or Harlem is Mitchell-Lhama. Besides, NYCHA is not taking on anymore people as the waiting list is already like 20 applicants to an apartment and growing.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
You're also gonna have to deal with a landlord who's $220 million in the hole!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
All developments in Manhattan outside LES/Harlem/WH:

Fredrick Douglas PJ's. (Upper West Side)

Holmes PJs. (northeastern edge of the Upper East Side)

Confucius Plaza (Chinatown)

Fulton PJ's (Meatpacking district I guess you can call it)

Chelsea PJ's (Chelsea/West Midtown)

344 East 28th Street PJ's (A single building on the East Side)

That's all I can think of. The funny thing is they all suck even outside the LES/Harlem. Some kid got popped in Holmes PJ's a few months ago, I belive that was the only homicide on the Upper East Side this year. Complex is no stranger to crime, not by a longshot. Fredrick Douglas PJ's is the center of the drug trade on the Upper West Side. The Fulton and Chelsea PJ's are also pretty shady. A lot of Times Squares criminals reside in those complexes.
Confucius Plaza is poor and slummy.

i'll post more later. I think I missed like 2.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:46 AM

39 posts, read 66,842 times
so i got called for an apartment in the building located on 344 E 28th st ....its for me and my 10 yr old daugther
i basically just want to know how are the apartmenst there? if anyone is curretnly living there or used to live there
how is the area i read there is a mens shelter and Bellevue hospital near by thats all ive heard

also that they re did the building under the pact act for nycha

so im jjust looking for aninfo on the place, i currently live in harlem on w 114th street its ok but the amount issues on a daily base is ridiculous here

Old 03-06-2023, 11:19 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
There's also Harborview Terrace on West 56th bet. 10th and 11th Avenues and a senior building on East 70th and 1st Ave.

I think Confucius Plaza is actually Mitchell Lama.

Old 03-06-2023, 12:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Huge swathes of the Lower East Side are NYCHA. Rutgers, Alfred Smith, Baruch, Gompers, Hernandez, Laguardia, and Vladeck to name a few. The area starting from 1 Police Plaza on Madison Street going all the way to the FDR is almost all housing projects facing the river as is the area north of Delancey by the Williamsburg bridge.

I grew up in this area. The area is mostly Black and Caribbean Hispanic with some Chinese and West Indians living inside.

What exactly is your question?

Old 03-07-2023, 03:59 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Working at Amsterdam was safe.
I found it disconnected from the rest of the city.
Unusually quiet. Not too much trouble except
for noisy school kids a few blocks away.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:59 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk10456 View Post
so i got called for an apartment in the building located on 344 E 28th st ....its for me and my 10 yr old daugther
i basically just want to know how are the apartmenst there? if anyone is curretnly living there or used to live there
how is the area i read there is a mens shelter and Bellevue hospital near by thats all ive heard

also that they re did the building under the pact act for nycha

so im jjust looking for aninfo on the place, i currently live in harlem on w 114th street its ok but the amount issues on a daily base is ridiculous here
I’ve only passed through the neighborhood and it seems pretty calm to me. It’s not a poor neighborhood, so most of the less disagreeable aspects of living in Harlem aren’t there. There’s a lot students because Baruch is nearby, and I’d guess some spillover of whatever you hear from Bellevue, over on 1st Ave., but it still strikes me as a pretty chill slice of the city. But I don’t know anything about the building or the apartments in it.

Added bonus: the public elementary and middle schools over there — PS 281 and IS 104 — are supposed to be pretty good, with diverse student bodies. So your daughter may do well.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:37 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Huge swathes of the Lower East Side are NYCHA. Rutgers, Alfred Smith, Baruch, Gompers, Hernandez, Laguardia, and Vladeck to name a few. The area starting from 1 Police Plaza on Madison Street going all the way to the FDR is almost all housing projects facing the river as is the area north of Delancey by the Williamsburg bridge.

I grew up in this area. The area is mostly Black and Caribbean Hispanic with some Chinese and West Indians living inside.

What exactly is your question?
Much of the Lower East Side historically was filled with tenements and other "unhealthy" housing, well that's what well off whites called it.

As such vast swaths of LES were ripe for Robert Moses and Urban Renewal slum clearance projects. Ditto for Lincoln Square area which gave NYC Lincoln Center but also several NYCHA housing projects.

Large parts of UWS from about 59th street up to 96th were declared "blighted" and made urban renewal districts. This is why you have NYCHA projects on CPW and blocks going west towards Columbus and Amsterdam. OTOH UES had virtually nil "urban renewal" or "slum clearance" which is why you don't see public housing on Fifth avenue or anywhere else going east until you get well into Yorkville (past Second) in any large amount. Yes, once you get above 86th you see some projects but they are closer to 96th and above.

https://www.6sqft.com/the-lower-east...lum-clearance/

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/2/22/1456...essex-crossing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-aH0zz1L38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ62bxhj3iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGwsA1V2r4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City