Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times

Advertisements

Commuter Biking in NYC Doubled in Last Four Years

NYC DOT: Commuter Biking in NYC Doubled in Last Four Years | Transportation Nation

Bike share and more protected bike lanes will likely increase this number significantly. Two out of every five trips made in New York City are under a mile, or roughly 20 blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
It is my fantasy to have a bike with spikes and awls sticking out of it (maybe a few strips of bleeding entrails stuck to them for effect), sporting a stickers that convey that I do not break for tourists.

Oh, and a set of truck nuts hangin' and shwanging' in the back...

Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
It is my fantasy to have a bike with spikes and awls sticking out of it (maybe a few strips of bleeding entrails stuck to them for effect), sporting a stickers that convey that I do not break for tourists.

Oh, and a set of truck nuts hangin' and shwanging' in the back...

Ahhh, the old BEN HUR image.

I hope to see the day when bikes replace cars in Manhattan.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ahhh, the old BEN HUR image.

I hope to see the day when bikes replace cars in Manhattan.

Yeah and trucks too. God willing businesses and restaurants won't have the ability to get shipments anymore.

Go green!!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
"I hope to see the day when bikes replace cars in Manhattan."

I hope to see the day when pedestrians replace cyclists in Manhattan.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM

If more people commuted by bicycle then we would have more room on our roads, buses and subways. Fact.

Encourage those that can. Try it if you can. It's healthy, it's green, it works.

I would like to see at least 25% of New Yorkers commute by bicycle.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
If more people commuted by bicycle then we would have more room on our roads, buses and subways. Fact.

Encourage those that can. Try it if you can. It's healthy, it's green, it works.

I would like to see at least 25% of New Yorkers commute by bicycle.

Thanks Janette...

Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Thanks Janette...
I don't understand the motives for your opposition. Do you not like improvements to the city you live in?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I don't understand the motives for your opposition. Do you not like improvements to the city you live in?
Improvements for who? It's all relative. Maybe the business owners on the street don't think blocking off unloading space for their business with one of those blocked off bike lanes is an improvement. Maybe the worker who has to carry the goods from 5 blocks away now is paying too much attention to his hand truck and not enough to the street when crossing it that he gets clipped. And now he can't work for a while to feed his family. Not much of an improvement for him.

And fwiw, I am a fairly avid bike rider. Whenever the weather is nice, I bike to work. It's good exercise, saves me dough, and I don't have to deal with the trains. However I know that the vast majority of painted bike lanes do not do squat in terms of safety. Literally nothing. They provide a false sense of security. And a huge amount of bikers are smug, condescending douches who feel entitled to the road and do the opposite of follow traffic rules. Just as much as you think people who drive cars are/do. Possibly even more because they have this "I'm better than you because this is eco-friendly" air about them.

But despite all that, I still ride because I that's my choice and I've been doing it since I'm a kid. I don't need some smug transportation commissioner building up a false sense of security around me to make me feel important.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM

106,678 posts, read 108,856,202 times
as an avid road biker i cant tell you how many almosts i have just about every time im out on the road. its getting to the point i dont want to ride locally anymore at all.

did a 70 mile mountain biking trip a few years ago and not a scratch. got home, and washed my mountain bike and rode the bike up and down our community driveway.

a woman backed out without looking and hit me shattering my coller bone. i told my buddies it happened on the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City