Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 09:40 PM

37,196 posts, read 39,473,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I'm saying you don't understand the life of the hood or the projects or low income areas.

Right, and I'm saying you don't seem to have a clear idea of what common means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 09:52 PM

325 posts, read 199,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I know people in the Bronx who have never been to Brooklyn or Queens but Manhattan seems unlikely given its central location
Agreed , I know a lot of bronx people who haven’t been to Brooklyn or queens but been to Manhattan. Ironically enough most don’t even go to manhattan as much especially if they live deeper in the bronx . Depends on the person though , there’s really some people who barely leave their boroughs and it’s mind blowing . But there is probably manhattanites who barely leave manhattan I can see that as possible because now that I live in manhattan I only leave to visit friends in other boroughs . There’s not much the other boroughs have that the city doesent.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:58 PM

325 posts, read 199,646 times
On another note , I stop considering people who count going to Times Square as going to manhattan. You’d be amazed at how many people only been to midtown in manhattan, that’s some Tourist stuff for real Lmfaoo . I can understand tho , it’s popular and if your coming from queens midtown is the first stops in manhattan . But if your gonna do the midtown thing , 46th street and the whole 9th Avenue where all the restaurants are is a must .

Old 03-20-2021, 10:02 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
I would think kids from the outer boroughs would at least have gone to Manhattan on a school trip at some point. I grew up 30 miles away in New Jersey, and while my parents rarely went to the city, we had field trips to the Museum of Natural History and the U.N. and a couple of other places.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:23 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
I went to an Italian wedding in Brooklyn several decades ago (forgot the neighborhood, Saturday Night Fever feel) and MANY people there had never been into Manhattan.

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-21-2021 at 06:40 AM..

Old 03-21-2021, 08:41 AM

5,695 posts, read 2,623,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, and I'm saying you don't seem to have a clear idea of what common means.
And like I said g spend some time and go meet people in low income neighborhoods and you will see what common is. So small-minded oy vey...

Old 03-21-2021, 09:09 AM

926 posts, read 418,256 times
Quote:
And like I said g spend some time and go meet people in low income neighborhoods and you will see what common is. So small-minded oy vey...
I think you are spot on, 90sSitcom.

Once you're settled in your neighborhood, it's very easy not to leave it. Because it's urban enough to have everything you need, close to you.

And it's true for all income levels, by the way. The difference is, those with a higher income will likely go through other neighborhoods to get to JFK or La Guardia.
Those with a career will probably have to leave their cocoon to get to their office, or meetings, etc.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:11 AM

37,196 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:

Ha, I've spent a pretty good amount of time in low income neighborhoods because I started out living here in mostly low income neighborhoods and we generally volunteer tutoring STEMs among other things in low income neighborhoods. I think you might need help in understanding what the word "common" means or maybe you're having a hard time with what the word "never" means. I said I don't know any adults who are residents of NYC that have never once been to Manhattan, but I also said that they probably exist. I don't think there's any indication that this would be "common".

There's also a difference between an adult resident of the outer boroughs never having never been to Manhattan/going outside of their neighborhood and one whose daily life does not involve Manhattan or going outside of their neighborhood. Are you sure you weren't taking a figure of speech too literally? Like someone says "you never call me" doesn't always mean they have not once in their lives ever received a call from you. Are you sure your use of common jives with other peoples? If you met a small group of 20 year olds who had never been to Manhattan (taking never to actually mean never), are you sure that's representative of the adult residents in the neighborhood especially since there are going to be a good number of adult residents older than their 20s and probably a lot more people outside of and different from that small group you talked to than inside in that neighborhood?

Maybe you're from a different time period than me when this was more common. That seems like a possible contributing explanation. I'm in my 30s and came here in the late 00s.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-21-2021 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-21-2021, 10:23 AM

5,695 posts, read 2,623,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ha, I've spent a pretty good amount of time in low income neighborhoods because I started out living here in mostly low income neighborhoods and we generally volunteer tutoring STEMs among other things in low income neighborhoods. I think you might need help in understanding what the word "common" means or maybe you're having a hard time with what the word "never" means. I said I don't know any adults who are residents of NYC that have never once been to Manhattan, but I also said that they probably exist. I don't think there's any indication that this would be "common".

There's also a difference between an adult resident of the outer boroughs never having never been to Manhattan/going outside of their neighborhood and one whose daily life does not involve Manhattan or going outside of their neighborhood. Are you sure you weren't taking a figure of speech too literally? Like someone says "you never call me" doesn't always mean they have not once in their lives ever received a call from you. Are you sure your use of common jives with other peoples? If you met a small group of 20 year olds who had never been to Manhattan (taking never to actually mean never), are you sure that's representative of the adult residents in the neighborhood especially since there are going to be a good number of adult residents older than their 20s and probably a lot more people outside of and different from that small group you talked to than inside in that neighborhood?

Maybe you're from a different time period than me when this was more common. That seems like a possible contributing explanation. I'm in my 30s and came here in the late 00s.
You sure are a man that can't admit you see things differently and perhaps your way isn't always correct.
I will give you one example. In a building I know 30 people. There are about 50 apts. Most of those 30 people have never been to Manhattan so therefore in the group/building it was common to not have been to Manhattan. Just because you don't know these people or reg go and socialize with people in certain areas does not mean its not common.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:50 AM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
I have not been to upper Manhattan in decades and have no desire to go there. It may as well be another planet. What is there waiting for me except crime and drugs?
Upper Manhattan is home to one of the best hospitals in the city, arguably country.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City