Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times

Advertisements

FWIW,Phil Carlo passed away from ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) in Nov.2010.Even more reason to read what I guess is his last book "The Butcher "which I am also waiting for in paperback.
R.I.P. Mr.Carlo,you provided me with some of the greatest true crime books (well,mostly true) I have ever read.Obit enclosed.

Philip Carlo, Crime Writer, Is Dead - NYTimes.com

Last edited by nyctovt; 02-18-2011 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM

99 posts, read 136,859 times
The Butcher is by far the best book I have read by Mr. Philip Carlo.

I was sad when I read of his passing from ALS. I had the pleasure of writing him when he was alive and he actually took the time to write me back. All his books are great! Very entertaining and if you like the Mafia or true crime in general, you will love all his work. He is greatly missed that is for sure.

I am looking forward to his movie with Mickey Rourke that is coming out soon. Mickey is gonna play the Iceman role.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I'm from Philadelphia and a big mafia buff, I was in NYC visiting a friend last month and it seemed there were few neighborhoods left in the city. I saw a lot of recent immigrants and white yuppie types, but very few Italian Americans. I was mostly in Brooklyn and Queens, even little Italy in Manhattan seemed to be full of Asians. NYC without a heavy mafia presence is pretty lame in my opinion.
Lol wth does this guy mean there's very few neighborhoods left where did they go? Also there's still mad Italians here especially in SI and the real Little italy is in the BX now.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,915 times
Don't know if you guys are still around but I thought you'd get a kick out of knowing I use to spar tommy Pitera when I was a kid. He was about 20 or 21 I was 11. He was ruthless and nuts. He would come at me pretty hard and it's only the fact that I was pretty good and crazy myself even for a little kid that kept me standing. We sometimes would spar on the subway Stations like two nuts and he always pushed the envelope of my safety. I moved away from that part of Brooklyn a year later and lost track. But I have to admit I always remembered tommy very fondly!!! It was awesome hanging out with him when he i was a kid. I didn't know anything of him being a criminal until recently. I joined the marines at 17 and after moved to California. Sad that he became that guy because the guy I knew was a great guy although reckless.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Young Herman, I read the book and recommend it. 2 things not sure your right calling Nicky guido slightly retarded? BTW Casso the cheap bum didnt go a few extra bucks to make sure they had the right Nicky Guido. Pitera, big into chopping the bodies up.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,915 times
The Gemini lounge was around the corner from my apt growing up at 2300 kings highway. ( I lived at 2300) And I still get freaked out when I think I lived that close to the place. Reason being I was a big mouth kid and I could see myself walking by with some girl and someone saying something and me starting a fight with whomever. Thank god that never happened or I would have surely been iced.

When I was about 10 I walked by with my girl cousin and one of the Gemini twins the taller light haired one made some rude comments but I was to little to start anything but I never forgot!

Last edited by Giatime; 03-18-2013 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 9,074 times
I played there also..late '80's Had no clue what went on...till much later Ace Harris

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM

Never knew there were actually twins there

Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM

What was the name of the group,,I played with CHANGES..believe it became the Scorpio lounge & Justins after

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I'm from Philadelphia and a big mafia buff, I was in NYC visiting a friend last month and it seemed there were few neighborhoods left in the city. I saw a lot of recent immigrants and white yuppie types, but very few Italian Americans. I was mostly in Brooklyn and Queens, even little Italy in Manhattan seemed to be full of Asians. NYC without a heavy mafia presence is pretty lame in my opinion.

You just don't know where to look Mafia Buff....;lol have you ever heard of Dyker Heights---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City