Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Long Island Vs Westchester
Westchester 15 75.00%
Long Island 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM

232 posts, read 496,249 times

Advertisements

I know this has been posted a million times but bear with me.

I recently returned from visiting family in Katonah, in Westchester. It is one of the most quaint and simple areas ever, which I'm partial too; there's money there too however. Everyone drives Beamers and Benz's. I also have family on the Island (south-shore but still nice) , which I enjoy as well.

Taxes are incredibly high in both places but which one is higher? There obviously not both the same. Which one has better schools? I've been told a majority of LI highschools have metal detectors and arent as safe as there Westchester Counterparts.

I like the small town feel that Bedford-Katonah-Mt Kisco area has (especially the walkable, quaint downtowns) more than the suburbia feel of Lindenhurst-Babylon area has.

Few things I've noticed in my travels..
  • The homes in Westchester are more spread out, with bigger yards, and more landscaping.
  • There's less Italian heritage in Westchester
  • More of a neighborly feel in Westchester
  • The water in Westchester isnt as clean LI
  • Traffic is much less extreme in Westchester
  • MNR is 24/7 but is almost identical to LIRR

Basically, which one is for me? I come from a small town to begin with and like the feel. Money isnt really isnt an issue but commuting is. I will work in the city but will have to travel a lot. I would like a large lot with at least 3200 sqft. A place with a walkable downtown with lots of small, local business. Friendly people without some much New Yawk accent.

This is a very hard decision for me and I could use some real detailed answers and insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Have you considered adding New Jersey into the mix??

Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
There are a few nice pockets on Long Island but in general it is a horrible, ugly,tacky, mess; except for the East End which is beyond commuting distance.
Westchester towns are much nicer,the housing stock is much nicer and the schools are better.It's an all around better environment.
Look in Bronxville.It's one of my favorite Westchester villages and is very close to the city.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-07-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM

84 posts, read 249,962 times
From everything I've heard theres a lot more crime out in Long Island

Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
From everything I've heard theres a lot more crime out in Long Island
It's those damn guidos and guidettes!!! Friday & Saturday night on the LIRR is an interesting ride.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM

600 posts, read 2,091,514 times
Westchester is much more pretentious.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Just a slight correction, Metro-North is a 20ish/7 operation, not 24/7. The last train on the Harlem Line leaves Grand Central at 1:56am, and service resumes at 6am. The last train leaves Katonah at a few minutes after Midnight to arrive at Grand Central, just before 2am, and service resumes at a quarter to five in the morning.

Lower Westchester differs from Northern Westchester, though, especially in terms of average lot size, and congestion. Northern Westchester is not as congested as Long Island, but parts of Lower Westchester rival parts of LI in terms of traffic and density. Northeastern Westchester differs slightly again, aligning more with its New England roots (Bedford was originally founded as part of CT), which is one reason why people tend to be a bit more circumspect with respect to the degree of flashiness.

Katonah and Larchmont are unique in that they have no national chains or big-box retail, mostly local shops, and local chains, like Mrs. Green's. Mount Kisco was re-created not too long ago, after devastating floods, hence the rebuilt shopping district. Bedford Hills also has numerous retail and auto centers along Bedford Road.

Since commuting is an issue, you must be within the Town of Bedford, and Katonah's P.O. straddles Somers and Lewisboro, for town parking, parks & rec, etc. Parking is a key component in ease of commute, since ToB guarantees resident parking permits, starting out in Katonah's far lot, regardless of location in Bedford, with opportunity to transfer to a closer lot at Katonah or Bedford Hills as spaces are available. Non-resident parking is more challenging at meters, or a few limited permits are significantly more expensive, and difficult to obtain. On peak trains, Katonah is about an hour to GCT, non-peak it can be 75-80 minutes, as in the last train at night.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Only thing LI has on westchester is the beaches, otherwise its not even close really, westchester all the way.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I personally thing Long Island is rather bland, and I find Westchester to be gorgeous, especially along the highways.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Westchester hands down. People seem far more tolerant and social. I feel like Long Island is stuck in a time warp. There's probably still places on LI you can't even go to if you're black smh. The scenery in Westchester is beautiful especially the fall foilage along the Taconic State. Traffic is very light compared to LI and the roads are in much better shape, plus you can legally drive 65 The homes are larger and the schools to my knowledge are better. Only thing LI has over Westchester are beaches and no tolls. Btw, I would put MNRR above LIRR in terms of service and cleanliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City