Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 144,163 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a recent Philly college grad looking to work in Manhattan but currently looking for roommates in Brooklyn based on financial situation.

Some replies say their area is safe however searching the net this does not seem to be true. I know wherever one lives, even safest areas, there could be problems. However, some places do not seem safe at all even during the day for a single, white, female on her own. Philly had some awlful places but I knew where they were and knew not to venture there at all.

Any suggestions on nice safe (as safe as they can be) places to live in Brooklyn that are close to the subway system? Or any sites, publications, possibly Chambers of Commerce or even Police Stations that would have information on safer areas or areas not to venture into due to my situation.

I did an internship at "W" mag (8 weeks) but live at NYU at the time and had no problems in the surrounding area. Based on finances, I will not be living in Manhattan but need a safe area. Maybe Brooklyn is not even where I should be looking and you might have suggestions on other places. Looking to move beginning of September.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 11:31 PM

161 posts, read 767,814 times
Look into the Bay ridge, Dyker heights, Bensonhurst areas. Its expensive, but its not as congested here and it is very safe.

Dont go near Coney Island, Bed Stuy, Greenpoint, Flatbush and just about anywhere in Central brooklyn

Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post
...Greenpoint...
1st time I've read anyone mention to another poster to stay away from Poland.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 122,242 times
L O L

Old 08-26-2007, 10:47 AM

650 posts, read 2,518,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post
Look into the Bay ridge, Dyker heights, Bensonhurst areas. Its expensive, but its not as congested here and it is very safe.

Dont go near Coney Island, Bed Stuy, Greenpoint, Flatbush and just about anywhere in Central brooklyn
bensonhurst, gravesend, and maybe dkyer are not expensive, compared to brooklyn in general. lots of good bargains, plenty of good apartments in the 800 range left, and in a roomate situation good money to be saved. I have seen ads for roomates around 400 or so

Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 96,298 times
Williamsburg =]

Gotta' love living on Bedford Avenue =]

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 144,163 times
Default Moving to Sea Gate?

thank you for your responses. I am looking into the community of SeaGate. Any thoughts?? Any problems taking the subway from that area (Coney Island Stillwell Ave.) on the D,F N or Q?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,840,791 times
Default If you felt safe in Philly...

...where the crime rates are through the roof, then you should feel very safe in Brooklyn. Maybe not East New York or Brownsville, but there are young swf's all around places where few would have ventured 20 or more years ago, including Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bushwick, and Crown Heights. Young white women (and men) are swarming in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Ft Greene, Park Slope, Prospect Hgts, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill. I wouldn't consider anything south of Prospect Park or southwest of Prospect Avenue--not because those areas are dangerous (they aren't), but because there's no young adult scene out there and if you're new to NY, you want to be where things are happening.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
To LevityNYC, I can't believe you'd say stay away from Greenpoint!!! Why--the oil spill?

Overall, Greenpoint is a lovely neighborhood reminiscent of European streets in some areas. Great parks, quick and easy city commute and cool and funky bars/restaurants all around. A ton of "hip" places popping up everywhere.

The big "con" that may be an issue is the Exxon oil spill from the '40s or '50s. It is underground in the NE area of Greenpoint. It could be an issue if purchasing property. That may be something to affect your decision!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 AM

191 posts, read 900,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane427 View Post
thank you for your responses. I am looking into the community of SeaGate. Any thoughts?? Any problems taking the subway from that area (Coney Island Stillwell Ave.) on the D,F N or Q?
you wanna stay away from seagate unless you have a car. seagate is a gated community right on the water that is completely surrounded but the worst areas in coneyisland. the train is no where near seagate. you would have to take a bus or drive to the train and theres no parking there.

you wanna do
Sheepshead, dyker heights, bensonhusrt, bayridge, parts of midwood, sunset park, parkslope (you might need 2 roomates here), gravesend, kingshiway, windsor terrace and even parts of kensington are ok.
all those areas have walking access to a train.
they are not all affordable. on average, 2bd apartment is prolly 1400/mo
be careful picking a roomate too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: