Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 69,704 times

Advertisements

I tried to get a relocation to NYC for my job, but couldn't (relocation wouldve gotten me a raise) but they did agree to let me work from home from NYC.

I am a single male with a salary of $76,000 a year(I know that's not enough for NYC) but I still love the city and want to move there. Are there any places where I can maybe get a studio in a safe area of Manhattan (not Harlem) or Brooklyn for less than $1600.

I would be fine with a studio as long as the area is safe. Right now I'm in Maryland in a 1 bedroom for $1500 a month with all utilities included. So this will be a big down-size, but I don't want roommates or to be in a non-safe area.

I'd appreciate any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 04:14 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,389,382 times
$76k is not enough? Who told you that?

Old 06-07-2015, 04:35 PM

30,890 posts, read 18,681,697 times
Sure, its possible. For instance, see: Prospect Heights Apartments for Rent - Prospect Heights Real Estate - NYTimes.com and http://realestate.nytimes.com/rental...PRICE-LOW-sort (Park Slope)

But it is relatively rare and just because you see an affordable listing doesn't mean that there won't be a bidding war to get the unit, which can push the price to rent well higher than the listing price.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 06-07-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 04:40 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,646,222 times
It will be hard to find a studio apartment in Manhattan (below Harlem) for $1600 or under. (unless you happen to luck into a rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartment, and these will only be through word of mouth, not advertised - very difficult to find.)

However, you can certainly find a studio apartment or 1 bedroom in Brooklyn for $1600 or under. Perhaps not in the prime Brooklyn neighborhoods like Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, or Williamsburg.

But I would think you may be able to find something in neighborhoods like Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Ditmas Park, Midwood, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Crown Heights, and possibly Prospect Heights and Bushwick. (many if not most parts of these neighborhoods are safe/relatively low-crime.)

If you're willing to check out Queens, you may be able to find even more in your price-range in neighborhoods like Jackson Heights, Astoria, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, etc.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,430,346 times
Manhattan below 96th is very safe. Having said that it's unlikely you will find something in your price range in a reasonable period of time.

Try looking in Astoria (or other parts of Queens) and in Brooklyn - you should be able to find something safe and nice.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,854,429 times
Anything under $2k in Manhattan, you are in very questionable living space - and remember, you will be working at home. A $1700 studio in manhattan is not the type of place you want to spend night and day in.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,996,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Anything under $2k in Manhattan, you are in very questionable living space - and remember, you will be working at home. A $1700 studio in manhattan is not the type of place you want to spend night and day in.
This is also now true for Harlem, excepting East Harlem - some exceptions, but increasingly rare and only after hunting.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:11 AM

112 posts, read 220,022 times
Look on the Upper East Side, seriously. Safe and less expensive/trendy than Brooklyn at the moment.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 AM

781 posts, read 868,434 times
Very possible in Brooklyn, just not in the trendy neighborhoods. Look in the southern part of the borough...there you will find your middle/working class neighborhoods.

I just rented a large, reno'ed studio for $1200 in a very safe area with ample parking and an express train that gets to Manhattan in about 25 minutes.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:34 PM

119 posts, read 112,119 times
I know the OP ruled out Harlem, but perhaps he should consider Washington Heights and Inwood, which are further north but, per countless glossy magazines, in the throes of full-throttle gentrification. As has been repeated many times, west of Broadway is more desirable but both neighborhoods can be noisy. That said, on Streeteasy and Trulia, one is seeing apartments being nicely renovated east of Broadway and rents aren't all that much less for these apartments than apartments west of Broadway. $1,600.00 is not a large budget even for the northern tip of Manhattan but it's possible. I would try the above websites and seek to isolate an attractive and reasonably spacious apartment that is perhaps facing the back to cut down on the street noise, which can be maddening particularly in the summer months. (For people that know the area, I've often wondered how those people who have the misfortune of living above the restaurants that turn into nightclubs along the western length of Dyckman Street possibly manage to sleep at night.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: