Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 01:51 AM

292 posts, read 755,341 times

Advertisements

Hey - coming back to NYC for an extended visit and want to stay somewhere a bit off the main tourist path. Im hoping to stay in an area thats more neighborhoody but also has a good nightlife selection.

Ive narrowed it down to CG/CH/BH area (a place called the Nu Brooklyn Hotel on Smith and Atlantc) or the Comfort Inn on Rivington in the LES.

Im going with my new wife, and we want to walk around aimlessly, check out the city, enjoy lots of great restaurants and nightlife, etc. I'm guessing LES has more and maybe better nightlife, but I'm also guessing CG/CH/BH has cooler neighborhood feel.

Anyway, any input is much appreciated!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 AM

93 posts, read 247,551 times
Its called connections. For those who dont have connections, you can use something called Google

Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang_Lee View Post
Its called connections. For those who dont have connections, you can use something called Google
I'm not sure what you're saying - I'm just trying to get some perspective on areas I don't know very well before making a decision.

Can anyone help me out?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times
these are residential neighborhoods, what kind of nightlife are you expecting.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,277,055 times
Grumpy people today. Carroll Gardens has great nightlife, restaurants and is very walkable. You should also check out Park Slope along 5th avenue for the same. In many ways, I think Brooklyn nightlife is more fun than Manhattan.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Grumpy people today. Carroll Gardens has great nightlife, restaurants and is very walkable. You should also check out Park Slope along 5th avenue for the same. In many ways, I think Brooklyn nightlife is more fun than Manhattan.
Thank you - I appreciate a legitimate response! Not sure why my question seems to have irked people - just trying to talk to people so I can make an informed decision.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated. By the way, are these areas heavily residential, like the other poster said? Or is there plenty of commercial stuff within walking distance?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,277,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Thank you - I appreciate a legitimate response! Not sure why my question seems to have irked people - just trying to talk to people so I can make an informed decision.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated. By the way, are these areas heavily residential, like the other poster said? Or is there plenty of commercial stuff within walking distance?
In Carroll Gardens along Smith and Court you'll find numerous nightspots and restaurants--very fun. In Park Slope the best part is along 5th avenue with 7th avenue a close second. Both do have a lot of residential areas surrounding those strips but they are nice.

Honestly, Brooklyn is where its at these days. This is coming from someone who used to live in Brooklyn but now lives in Chelsea. I like my hood, very convenient, but you can take the boy out of Brooklyn but you can't . . .

Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 PM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
In Carroll Gardens along Smith and Court you'll find numerous nightspots and restaurants--very fun. In Park Slope the best part is along 5th avenue with 7th avenue a close second. Both do have a lot of residential areas surrounding those strips but they are nice.

Honestly, Brooklyn is where its at these days. This is coming from someone who used to live in Brooklyn but now lives in Chelsea. I like my hood, very convenient, but you can take the boy out of Brooklyn but you can't . . .

Love it !!!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 PM

93 posts, read 247,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying - I'm just trying to get some perspective on areas I don't know very well before making a decision.

Can anyone help me out?
its called do it yourself

Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang_Lee View Post
its called do it yourself
Really? Why are you on this website if it bothers you when people who live far away ask questions about neighborhoods they're not familiar with - isn't that the point?

Going to google maps and typing "bars" or doing a web search doesn't usually bring the best or most reliable information. Asking people who live in the area makes more sense - that's why this website exists.

Do you really need this explained to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: