Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM

28 posts, read 41,369 times

Advertisements

Smith and Dean streets....great little intersection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,828,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbrooklyn View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. Some cab drivers, if you admit being from anywhere except NYC, will take you the looooooong way round, even if you're only a mile away from your destination? Do your homework, know your cross streets...how far to get there, and where you want to be dropped, otherwise you may wind up going in a big circle on some expressway or other. I would go as far as to recommend; try giving your driver directions, so at least he/she knows... that 'you' know...
...but you don't know!!

Do not pretend, you'll only be fooling yourself!

Yes, you are wrong. Most cab rides are too short for such shenanigans.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,828,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
...I'm also guessing CG/CH/BH has cooler neighborhood feel.

Anyway, any input is much appreciated!!
Your comments are rather broad and non descript, specifically from a NYers pov. "Cooler neighborhood feel", only you know what this means! Such a comment can mean many things to different people.

"Nightlife" also can have very different connotations. Nightlife in Times Square is different than nightlife in Cobble Hill, for example. So, when you speak broadly, some may find it a waste of words; or, the silly thoughts of a bright eyed tourist.

Cynasim is a part of the culture!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,551,867 times
Since you are newly married, the Smith Street area is actually the perfect night spot for the young married type. Great resturants and bars.

Ever since I got married, I find myself more comfortable hanging out in the Cobble Hill/Boerum hill area. I feel like an old man when my wife and I hang out in LES, East/West Village etc, and I am only 38.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Since you are newly married, the Smith Street area is actually the perfect night spot for the young married type. Great resturants and bars.

Ever since I got married, I find myself more comfortable hanging out in the Cobble Hill/Boerum hill area. I feel like an old man when my wife and I hang out in LES, East/West Village etc, and I am only 38.

Okay now, everyone should pay attention to 85dumbo (who's not so dumb(ha ha)). He said it all, perfectly, and in only two sentences....'he' DOES know!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
...but you don't know!!

Do not pretend, you'll only be fooling yourself!

Yes, you are wrong. Most cab rides are too short for such shenanigans.

At the risk of droning on and on, I didn't want to get into the boring details, assuming everyone would consider using their cell phone's GPS feature, or apps or what have you (in order to know where they are, where they're going and how to get back). I guess I should've been more precise. I meant that anyone visiting NYC should simply take the time to know the location of their dwelling, names of nearby streets...and the approx distance between places being visited. Someone at work told me about his friends who were in cobble hill late one night and hopped into a cab to go back to their place in lefferts - which would've meant going atlantic to ocean, or atlantic/flatbush/ocean ...and so on....within about 10 mins. Instead it took about 15 mins, via the express...at too high speeds...all the while the cabby letting them know that he lives in manhattan, and barely gets any business in brooklyn, in that area so late at night, in the end, $15 versus $12...not much, but...

Needless to say, yes, most cab rides are short (or should be), but sometimes they can become longer, unnecessarily. Hey, it was meant only as a cautionary tale...what the heck...(but I'm glad that you bothered to read and respond...thanks!)

Last edited by fanofbrooklyn; 02-04-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: