Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 6,452 times

Advertisements

Hi

I`m coming to New York from the UK for the first time in early Dec. I`ve been reading on here about safety and suchlike, and am wondering...

What`s the area around Central Park like?
And Harlem? (I want to see a Globetrotter)

Is it safe to visit Times Square after dark and what`s the safest way to get back to the hotel?
How can I be sure cabbies don`t try and rip me off?

Is the tube/subway from JFK a better option than a taxi?

What is the YMCA like to stay in?
How cold is it likely to be?

and finally, are there any good, reasonably priced Veggie cafes around???

Thanking you in advance,
Joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaner View Post
Harlem Globetrotters? They're not in Harlem, by the way. They perform at various arenas

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/schedule/full/

Old 08-11-2011, 10:32 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Trolling....

Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Harlem Globetrotters? They're not in Harlem, by the way. They perform at various arenas

Harlem Globetrotters Basketball - Awesome Family Entertainment: Full Schedule

dammit!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Hi

I`m coming to New York from the UK for the first time in early Dec. I`ve been reading on here about safety and suchlike, and am wondering...

What`s the area around Central Park like? Fifth Ave (up to about 106th st), Central Park West (also up to about 106th st) and Central Park South (all along) are safe, high-income areas with expensive hotels, big museums, and very pricey flats. There is no tourist attraction or anything of interest to see on Central Park North (also called 110th St or Cathedral Parkway)

The Harlem Globetrotters are not based in Harlem anymore. As to seeing Harlem itself, visit 125th St to see the Apollo, Sudio Museum of Harlem, the various street vendors, as well as as several nearboy restauratns like Sylvia's, The Red Rooster, and on 116th st, Amy Ruths's. And it's perfectly safe and full of tourists.

Is it safe to visit Times Square after dark and what`s the safest way to get back to the hotel?
The best time to see Times Square (and 42nd St between Broadway and 8th Ave.) is after dark. There is nothing else like it in America. It is clogged with tourists and security is always high. Nothing to worry about except the crowds. The safest way back is by taxi--if you can find an empty one, especially after the theaters let out. But several subway lines converge there and that's what most people use to go home--or for you, back to yr hotel.

You can't. But most are honest. To protect yourself, however, always get the medallion number of the cab--the 4-digit code on the top--and if you thin there's something wrong, find a cop, or call 311, a 24-7 city hotline and immediately report the incident. But most cabbies are, I'd say, honest.

Depends. Subway is far cheaper for sure., about $7 I think. But trains are far slower, and may not get you to your hotel door. And if you have a lot of luggage, the subway is definitely a drag. Taxis, with tolls and tips, run $40-$50 from JFK depending on traffic and where you're going. Another option: Olympia buses take you into Manhattan for $15 and Super Shuttle vans do it for about $20 I think. Check them out on line.

I've been in the Y near Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side and it's fine. Not fancy, but clean, safe, and servicable, especially if you have a room with a private bath. Not all do.

Bring a heavy coat and sweaters for sure. It will likely be pretty cold and could even be snowing.

and finally, are there any good, reasonably priced Veggie cafes around??? NYC has every imaginable cusine you can think of and at every price point. the zagat's guide, which you can buy at any hotel or bookstore, reviews of hundreds every year, from afghan to vegan.

Thanking you in advance,
Joan

holdiays are a great time to be here but very crowded and many attractions, restaurants, and Broadway shows are full booked then, so its good that you're planning in advance. Enjoy!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Hi

What`s the area around Central Park like?

and finally, are there any good, reasonably priced Veggie cafes around???

Thanking you in advance,
Joan
The area around Central Park during the daylight hours is fine.
It is safe to visit Times Square after dark, but be wary of pickpockets.
Take a yellow cab with a meter and you should be fine. If there is any problems call the city hotline 311.
From JFK to Manhattan via the Airtrain & subway it costs $7.25 one way but it is not convenient if you have lots of luggage.
I know that Vanderbilt YMCA on East 47th Street is clean and decent place to stay although you have to share a bathroom there.
In December it is cold enough that you need a winter coat, etc.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks Citylove101 and Chava61! You've been a real help

Old 08-13-2011, 03:55 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
Yellow cabs are the way to go! They have meters I guess you could call them that automatically counts how far you've traveled and how much the price is. It's usually sitting right on the dashboard in the front of the car.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 24,633 times
Hi.. I have lived in Manhattan for four years now while studying at a university here. I am now living in Hells Kitchen, which is only two blocks west of Times Square. Being a young female, I have never felt uncomfortable or not safe walking through Times Square at night - there are people there at all hours - from early in the morning to way past midnight.

Central Park is lovely, one of my favorite spots in the city to kick back on the weekends. I have never felt unsafe there either, although I would not advise you to wonder the park after dark. The Belvedere Castle at the Great Lawn is a must-see (you can go to the top of the Castle for a great view). Check out the woodsy trails that bring you north of the "pond" to the Boathouse.. once you get there you can rent a boat to row 'round or take a gondala ride. From there, "The Mall" is only a few steps past the fountain there with the huge staircases (forgot what its called but you'll understand when you see). It's a beautiful area to see! [url=http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/things-to-see/south-end/mall-literary-walk.html]The Official Website of Central Park - The Mall and Literary Walk[/url]

The subway is typically safe, even until late hours within Manhattan, especially the main stops like 34th Street, 14th Street, 42nd Times Square. However on weekends during the late hours the trains run less frequently and slow. If you are coming back late, I would say just take a taxi. Also don't worry too much about cabs ripping you off! I have never had that happen to me and the rates are typically listed within the cab just so you can see how it works. As long as you just tell them exactly where you are going (ex. 33rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues) then you will be fine. Giving exact addresses doesn't typically help because they usually don't know themselves where it is so giving the street intersections are better.

From JFK to NYC I've done both a cab and the airtrain / subway combo. Both are fine, however the airtrain and subway is way less expensive. The downside to that is that it takes longer (about 45 minutes to an hour to get from 42nd Street to the airtrain tranfer then another 10 mins depending on which terminal you are going to). The cost to take a taxi is a standard $40 but it is much more easy, especially if you have a lot of luggage to tote around.

Go to Westville to eat! There are three locations - East Village, Greenwich Village and Chelsea. It's not a 100% vegetarian cafe but they do lots of veggie combinations that are amazing. [url=http://www.westvillenyc.com/delivery-info]Westville Restaurant NYC[/url]

As far as safety is concerned, New York is actually pretty safe. I have been to London and Barcelona and have felt much more conscious about my surroundings (could have been being in a new city and word of mouth about safety). Like I said I have been living here for four years and nothing has ever happened to me. Just be street smart, hold on to your belongings and don't walk in a deserted area unless you are with a group and you should be good to go!

Have fun and enjoy New York!!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
If you're going to be here for more than a couple of days, I urge you to buy one or two guidebooks.

In the meantime:
-NYC is generally fairly safe. Just use common sense. But Central Park is huge, and extends into some areas that are safer, some less safe.
-Times Square is bustling after dark! Everyone going to dinner and the theater. It starts emptying out around 11pm or so.
-Many people recommend the subway/tube from the airport. Personally, I think for newcomers, there's too much potential for confusion. I'd suggest taking one of the shuttle-buses, which I think run about $10-$15. That way you don't have to worry about the route, and you're above-ground, so you can enjoy the sight of Manhattan in the distance as you arrive.
-For food ideas, check out the Chowhound website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City