Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,413,775 times

Advertisements

Right now I work in white plains and until our company moves in a year, I want to stay. Eventually I'd like to find a job in the city but would it be better just to live in the west chester/white plains area or if I'd be willing to live in the City somewhere, where would the best place to be thats not too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 AM

3,923 posts, read 9,172,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Right now I work in white plains and until our company moves in a year, I want to stay. Eventually I'd like to find a job in the city but would it be better just to live in the west chester/white plains area or if I'd be willing to live in the City somewhere, where would the best place to be thats not too expensive.
You can live along the Metro-North Harlem Line. Possibly somewhere like Bedford Park or Norwood (if you can find a place near the Williamsbridge or Botanical Gardens train stations)

Or you can try living in White Plains itself.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,609,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Where is your company moving to? Is there a chance that you would follow the company to wherever it went next with the right offer?

I agree with checkmatechamp13. Living on the Metro North line sounds like the best bet. White Plains is actually nice for young people as well. You don't know if that job in the city will come through, or when, so save some money and don't pack up for Manhattan just yet.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Where is your company moving to? Is there a chance that you would follow the company to wherever it went next with the right offer?

I agree with checkmatechamp13. Living on the Metro North line sounds like the best bet. White Plains is actually nice for young people as well. You don't know if that job in the city will come through, or when, so save some money and don't pack up for Manhattan just yet.

outsourced to southeast asia

Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,517,726 times
I would also stay in White Plains in your situation, right now, because not only will you have a higher housing cost, but commutation costs, parking garage, and add to that city resident income tax which would be levied on your income. Staying in Westchester, right now, would afford a lower cost of living, and you can reevaluate when your job situation changes.

White Plains is about the best for a city-like experience in Westchester, though you might look in adjacent areas of Hartsdale as they are not too far from White Plains.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would also stay in White Plains in your situation, right now, because not only will you have a higher housing cost, but commutation costs, parking garage, and add to that city resident income tax which would be levied on your income. Staying in Westchester, right now, would afford a lower cost of living, and you can reevaluate when your job situation changes.

White Plains is about the best for a city-like experience in Westchester, though you might look in adjacent areas of Hartsdale as they are not too far from White Plains.

yeah i hear that, would it be worth checking out some areas maybe near a college for more of a younger crowd?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,951,136 times
It has a nice Restaurant Row , its near the Major State / County parks most of the New Yorkers Escape to , its has a nice shopping disrect and Diverse Housing stock , along with good bus and Rail connections to most of Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City