Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM

363 posts, read 557,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
LA without question! NY was in decay - the government was bankrupt - white flight - dangerous.

California was booming then, LA in particular with all the defense industry buildup- the entire state personified American progress.

Yeah these folks seem to forget how crazy dangerous it as in NYC back then and it lasted till the mid 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think most New Yorkers would vote for L.A. in ANY decade.
Sorry, I vote for LA!

To respond dirctly to the OP, NYC was better in all the respects you question, but CA and the LA are had its own distinctive attributes which NYC could not compete.

LA had the whole beach and water vibe, including middle class homes with inground pools! For a water person LA hands done.

LA had the whole urban surburban thing which simply wasn't NYC. Mellow, hiighly comfotable middle and upper middle settings, LOW crime. Unlike NYC with its out of control crime, stress, whiteflight, bussing and racial conflicts.

LA and the surrounding areas were virtually, if not literally, NEWLY built with ALL modern conveniences. New and growing versus old and decaying, is their a choice? LA was at the forefront of modern American life and standards which would sweep the nation.

LA also was the epicenter of 'car culture' with good roads and easy traffic!! Compared to NYC's litter strewed, ill repaired, decaying roads and bridges.

CA/LA had, at the time, the best most forward public education system, grammer thru graduate school. The model for the nation. NYC's system, by contrast, was going backward into a deteriorating Union dominated hell of non education!

I could gon and on....

Oh, least we forget, President Ford to NYC: 'Drop Dead!'. NYC is in fiscal pergatory, while LA is the leading city of the 4th largest economy in the WORLD! Growth and prosperity vs Economic contraction, business and population loss, and virtual (it was as close to 'actual' as could possibly be, w/o so declaring) effective bankruptcy!

LA vs NYC, give me the sunshine!

Of course, the above is from a middle, upper middle income perspective. If poor, what's the difference? LA, better housing, education, and warm Winters. NYC, generous welfare programs, the subway, I think that is about it.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
70's NYC
Early and late 80's NYC
Mid 80's LA
90's NYC
00's NYC
10 NYC

Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
I'd choose LA in any decade.

You must have a super bias, be on drugs, or have a death wish if you choose NYC over LA in the 70's.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM

34 posts, read 150,296 times
I'd say NYC without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City