Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,853,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
That's $9.60/hr *SMH* DISGUSTING. Doesn't McDonald's pay like $10/hr???
I don't know, I haven't ever worked for McDonalds. Perhaps the 20K a year job is only part time, or offers benefits?

There are some stay at home parents, whose spouse makes good money, who would enjoy a job that offers part time hours, or benefits, because that's a good fit for their families.

You can live in NYC for $20K a year.......if you have really really low expectations and are cool with selling your plasma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,169,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't know, I haven't ever worked for McDonalds. Perhaps the 20K a year job is only part time, or offers benefits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

There are some stay at home parents, whose spouse makes good money, who would enjoy a job that offers part time hours, or benefits, because that's a good fit for their families.

You can live in NYC for $20K a year.......if you have really really low expectations and are cool with selling your plasma.

Nope, it was a full-time position. I wanna keep my plasma.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
NYC is awesome, but it's not like the options are NYC or Helena, Montana. NYC should be compared to other urban areas.
All my friends are flocking to Texas. People keep attesting it and shooting down the idea, but here we are...a half year later...and not a single one of them is crying about their economic situation.

I guess the whole anti-anything-but-NYC sentiment is what keeps people stuck in a rut.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Glad to see you posting again Bing!!! Never Stop

Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Glad to see you posting again Bing!!! Never Stop
Haha, hello there! I had a crazy last two months and it's not getting much better, but I've got a cause and a purpose..so I'm gonna post away lol!

I am still so disgusted to see the trend continuing. Unfortunately, there is only ONE me and hundreds of these pathetic jobs.

Again, I encourage people to send emails and call these employers posting jobs like this.

I'm in disbelief that 20k, and such, is being offered. So long as people continue to have the mentality "The economy is bad" we (as a country) are going to continue to be SCREWED out of our wits.

The economy is bad, but how much is the CEO making?

PS. I'm not saying CEOs don't deserve to make a decent penny, but when the employees can hardly feed their kiddos and a $1/hr raise causes chaos..there IS a problem.

When the employees are having their hours cut, pay lowered/frozen or being tripled with workload..that's pretty much extortion in my eyes.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
It feels like falling wages is just the new normal.It doesn't sound like it will do too much good to blast out employers and tell them they aren't paying enough if you are unemployed and need a job.This is going to go on for a long time.

Bottom Line - Wages have dropped and won't catch up until 2021 (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/14/8320576-wages-have-dropped-and-wont-catch-up-until-2021 - broken link)

Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
That's $9.60/hr *SMH* DISGUSTING. Doesn't McDonald's pay like $10/hr???
LOL unless you're a Shift Manager or something. McD's pays minimum wage ($7.15 per hour)

Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
When it comes to pay you've gotta ask yourself "what skills do I have to sell that 1000's of others haven't already got?" Otherwise, you're just competing with 1000's of others, and if so to expect to get paid a high amount is bound to leave you being disappointed.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
When it comes to pay you've gotta ask yourself "what skills do I have to sell that 1000's of others haven't already got?" Otherwise, you're just competing with 1000's of others, and if so to expect to get paid a high amount is bound to leave you being disappointed.
So if almost everyone here is in the same boat (not worth a lot in the job market), when will the rent in NYC come down to match the meager salaries we're worth?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So if almost everyone here is in the same boat (not worth a lot in the job market), when will the rent in NYC come down to match the meager salaries we're worth?
To be clear, its not what you are worth, its what your skills are worth. Two different things.

Your also competing with people from all over the world who come to NYC, some to live, some rich, some highly skilled. The other thing is you are also competing with people who come from crummy countries and see good opportunities here, they bust their ass off for low wages with long commutes and overcrowded living because its still better than what they had back home.

Unless you luck out on a rent-stabilization place, and even then it can be tough, its no easy ride. No-one's going to pay you over what 1,000 other people here would also do the job (at the same competency) for. So you either change your skills/BS yourself into something higher-paying (and hopefully pull it off)/ or accept that the skills you have are paid only so much.

If you can eat, drink, sleep with a roof over your head, and laugh....

Last edited by bg7; 10-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City