Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
No. Nearly every one of them rely on big money to get elected. Big mega-corporations. THey are all beholden to their corporate bosses and the public is just an afterthought. That is why nothing gets done any more, no great vision for the country.

They keep we, the public, at each other's throats with the pretext that the battle is Republican vs. Democrat, liberal vs. Conservative, but they frame all legislation to be favorable to their big business interests.

Yes, it's about time there was a revolution. We need to have publically financed elections and to make them much more cheaply. The airwaves are still public, we could mandate the dedication of so much free times to electioneering.

It would not be that hard, once we determined to do it.

YES I couldnt agree with you more, this corporate mafia (Congress) along with her other two snake branches (judiciary and executive) has made it perfectly clear, that their interest resides only with that of corporations and big banks. Even with the outrageous passing of the Super Congress (a fourth branch of government) which I think is illgeal to deal with the debt crisis can only further exasperate this country's problems at our cost. But as Roland 544 said......(crickets) America's people just dont care. All that matters to most is that paycheck that people are willing to keep themselves enslved over. Huh....

They cant put us all in jail.

Not to get off topic but felt I had to respond to some truth here.

Thanks Roland and Goldengrain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Our politicians, both parties, voted for Nafta and Cafta and we heard those giant sucking sounds of our jobs leaving. Now they have us squabbling with each other. Those bills were passed on behalf of the mega corporations. Those are the true entities that both parties are beholding to. Now, the politicians are wondering how to pull us out of the mess we're in. They put us here, the jerks. The thing is, they can spend a few years working and retire with a nice pension, so it is in their best interests to betray the people.

This system really needs to be revised. If we publicly finance elections there will be much less incentive to listen to lobbyists. I cannot see any other way.

Every problem, practically, that our country faces at this moment is due to the government caving to global corporations. Every one. Why do we waste our breath on tackling the individual issues? Why not root it out at the cause and address that?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 AM

188 posts, read 414,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I guess the simple solution would be to outlaw outsourcing or hiring illegal aliens. Slap HUGE fines on the bigshots that try to get around this.

Hmm....seems to easy, though.
The politicians want to keep China happy so they do not call the U.S. out on the debt. China relies on the U.S. to buy their goods.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 AM

166 posts, read 443,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
I give her maybe 2,3 more months before she leaves for good. The funniest thing was when she told me when she moved to West Harlem...she's a stereotypical Cali chick who actually complained about her neighbors in Queens playing their "rap music too loud". Then she tried to tell me West Harlem's not that bad, she'll be fine, etc...I'm like girl please, I am FROM NY! Do not try to convince me you'll fit right in up there lol...
anyways, sweet girl, just sad how ill planned out her whole move has been.
Update: She has officially moved back to Cali. Quit her crap receptionist job after her boss gave her the runaround about bumping her pay up from $12 after the probationary period passed. Couldn't find anything else and ran out of money (I assume). Lasted 6 months in NYC.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Update: She has officially moved back to Cali. Quit her crap receptionist job after her boss gave her the runaround about bumping her pay up from $12 after the probationary period passed. Couldn't find anything else and ran out of money (I assume). Lasted 6 months in NYC.
Why do you seem so happy about it?

I dislike transplants just as much as the next native but I hope that all the transplants who do come here are successful.

It's tough for many in NYC. Both transplants and natives.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Why do you seem so happy about it?

I dislike transplants just as much as the next native but I hope that all the transplants who do come here are successful.

It's tough for many in NYC. Both transplants and natives.
What about my post gave off that I was happy about it? Did I use a smiley face or multiple exclamation points or what? I was just providing an update on her situation as it was dicussed about 20 pages or so back. The fact of the matter is whether or not people make it here is not of much concern for me as at the end of the day I have to worry about myself.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
What about my post gave off that I was happy about it? Did I use a smiley face or multiple exclamation points or what? I was just providing an update on her situation as it was dicussed about 20 pages or so back. The fact of the matter is whether or not people make it here is not of much concern for me as at the end of the day I have to worry about myself.
The fact that you updated something 20 pages back speaks for itself.

It doesn't matter if it concerns you or not.

How does that saying go, "it's not enough that I succeed. Others must fail".
I think you're one of those.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 AM

147 posts, read 370,204 times
I just finished a job search. Don't go by what is posted online on Craigs list, or even Monster. Companies with decen tpaying jobs go through agencies often. go register with several (you never ever pay a fee to a legit agency) I hav a college degree w 14 years of adminsitrative experience (i.e. secretarial) and I interviewd for several jobs paying 70-80k. Landed one, too

Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The fact that you updated something 20 pages back speaks for itself.

It doesn't matter if it concerns you or not.

How does that saying go, "it's not enough that I succeed. Others must fail".
I think you're one of those.
Wow, you're really stretching. I updated b/c one of the other posters said "I'd love to see an update in 2 or 3 months". Her NY departure came earlier than the 2, 3 month mark so whatever. I actually tried to help this girl with job leads when she quit her job and even asked her to send me an updated resume so I could pass it onto my boss (which she never sent). If others fail, that's on them.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:15 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
This is when I finally realized employers were jacked up. I was sitting in a burger King having a Whopper experience when someone walked in asking about employment. The manager told the person to come back the next day with their resume..I spit my drink out over that one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City