Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,447,587 times

Advertisements

one of my kids lived with for a while and it was funny to bring a date home through my door in my room with my bathroom and they had the rest of the house after her house had burned down and we where waiting for the insurance to kick in to take care of everything ..they lived with me for about a 1 year time and i liked for it was nice to have family inside the house again ..

there where a couple of funny moments inside the house and have the date come down for breakfast and see my daughter with my grandkids sitting around the table having breakfast .

one of my grandkids asked the lady who i was seeing on a regular basis this question one time what are doing with my grandpa and why are you here alot that only come out of a 4 year old little girl mouth at the time .. ..there was a few seconds of laughter and she tells me i see you later as she walks out the door ..

my girls never did warm up to her in any way or shape ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,294,196 times
This part of the reason why I am planning to move to a lower COL area. Even though I'm only 24...I already feel like I'm becoming too grown to have roommates lol. It does get tiring after a while. I would love nothing more than to have my own place and not answer to anybody. I think if most people had the chance, they would jump on that option too. However living on your own in NYC is tough and I don't blame people at all who decide to move in with their parents or live with a bunch of roomies. I mean if the majority of the jobs here are gonna pay sh**y wages anyway...I might as well pack up and move to a cheaper area that is paying the same salary, but will afford me a better, more independent lifestyle.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,170,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Well I do pay some of my family's bills which amount to about 1k/month. My parents have their house paid off (property tax is still 6k/year) and I rather help them save as much as they can for retirement since they did pay cash for my state uni degree. It's the least I can do. I was also able to pay for my broither first semester of grad school and hopefully I'll be able to do it again.
1k worth of expenses ain't much when it comes to NYC but it'd be considered normal in many other parts of the country. I also don't spend much via discretionary spending. I allocate about 10% of my pay (that includes metrocard) towards any discretionary stuff and that's it. The rest I stash away in case of emergency or when I intend to move out of NYC.

My parents don't need my help and I can move out and live paycheck to paycheck but why should I? Living paycheck to paycheck is nothing to take pride in.
That's how my guy & I see it. We pay $800/month for a basement apt. It's a 2 bedroom, but techinically one room is the living room. Includes everything except noise control and privacy lol. We figure we rather pay rent to them than someone else..and we are saving. They also don't need us, but why not keep it in the family?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,364,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
That's how my guy & I see it. We pay $800/month for a basement apt. It's a 2 bedroom, but techinically one room is the living room. Includes everything except noise control and privacy lol. We figure we rather pay rent to them than someone else..and we are saving. They also don't need us, but why not keep it in the family?

Not only are you right but it's the rational decision.

All these fools living on their own on low salaries who don't have to are making an irrational choice that harms both their near term and long term prospects.

Life isn't a sprint. It's a marathon.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,170,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Not only are you right but it's the rational decision.

All these fools living on their own on low salaries who don't have to are making an irrational choice that harms both their near term and long term prospects.

Life isn't a sprint. It's a marathon.
Yeah, it makes me laugh. I have bumped into too many to count. They live with roomies in the UES, etc. Their part of rent is around $1,200+/month..to SHARE an apartment. Whenever I say I live in Queens I get the "oh dreary" vibe or "Ewww". I laugh and think. I have a savings account, steak in my fridge and a bright retirement ahead of me. You have your ritzy hole in the wall in UES and a pack of ramen in the cupboard....oh yeah--and stress lol.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,572,297 times
I always found many of those types that scoff at anything non-Manhattan to be posers anyway. It in many ways is a vast sea of fakeness. People who carry an expensive bag two or three times and then return it, people up to their ears in debt, people who live off of the bank of mom & dad. Granted there are people with real money there obviously, but in my experience it's the 'aspirational wealthy' and the insecure wannabes who feel the need to flaunt around. Many of them probably have less than you do but figure if they parade around somehow they're 'superior'. *Rolls eyes and gags* People like that are so toxic. I've had friends like that in the past. I either don't talk to them now or keep them at a very comfortable distance. It's better that way. I've been around millionaires and even a few billionaires. The people I met that had that kind of money, you'd really never suspect it. And they certainly weren't bragging about where they lived or any of that. They tended to be reclusive and quiet if anything. One guy I knew was worth $75 million off of paint technology he had patented. He still dressed like a blue collar guy, wearing a shop jacket with a name badge on it as if he were straight out of a garage LOL.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-14-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,607,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
It's a good deal. Half the battle is knowing when you already have a good deal and not trying too hard to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory", so to speak.
Nothing worse than being an over-optimizer where nothing is ever "good enough for now" and allowing it to drive you to foolish or regrettable decisions like giving up a cheap/cool/easy place to live out of vanity or ticky-tack stuff or neighbors that can occasionally be noisy. Ask me how I know these things.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I always found many of those types that scoff at anything non-Manhattan to be posers anyway. It in many ways is a vast sea of fakeness. People who carry an expensive bag two or three times and then return it, people up to their ears in debt, people who live off of the bank of mom & dad. Granted there are people with real money there obviously, but in my experience it's the 'aspirational wealthy' and the insecure wannabes who feel the need to flaunt around. Many of them probably have less than you do but figure if they parade around somehow they're 'superior'. *Rolls eyes and gags* People like that are so toxic. I've had friends like that in the past. I either don't talk to them now or keep them at a very comfortable distance. It's better that way. I've been around millionaires and even a few billionaires. The people I met that had that kind of money, you'd really never suspect it. And they certainly weren't bragging about where they lived or any of that. They tended to be reclusive and quiet if anything. One guy I knew was worth $75 million off of paint technology he had patented. He still dressed like a blue collar guy, wearing a shop jacket with a name badge on it as if he were straight out of a garage LOL.
True, the people with real money aren't the ones you'd usually suspect by looking at them...they try hard to blend in most of the time. When you actually have money, it's a huge liability in many ways. People want to get 'atcha for all the wrong reasons if they know too much. As for the younger posh/flossin'/iced out types you see winging around in Manhattan, no doubt some of them really are rich, but I'd guess there's probably dozens, if not hundreds, of posers for every one of them that's the real deal (young, rich, fashionable, connected, genetically gifted...the best of everything in other words.)

Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
This part of the reason why I am planning to move to a lower COL area. Even though I'm only 24...I already feel like I'm becoming too grown to have roommates lol. It does get tiring after a while. I would love nothing more than to have my own place and not answer to anybody. I think if most people had the chance, they would jump on that option too. However living on your own in NYC is tough and I don't blame people at all who decide to move in with their parents or live with a bunch of roomies. I mean if the majority of the jobs here are gonna pay sh**y wages anyway...I might as well pack up and move to a cheaper area that is paying the same salary, but will afford me a better, more independent lifestyle.
I'd suggest you go do it. I'm assuming you're a native Tri-Stater who's never tried going it alone yet due to cost. Move to some place like Charlotte, Austin, Seattle, Portland, etc...somewhere with decent culture and amenities where rent money usually gets you your own apartment in a decent part of town. It may be everything you dreamed it would be, or you may after a year or two be saying to yourself "huh, this isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Especially when I open my front door and it isn't New York...not even close!"

The good news is you're young and have time to fool around with that kind of stuff to figure out what you want out of life.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 AM

216 posts, read 373,367 times
I just saw a post for an Executive Assistant position to a CEO who wants a college degree with 5 years experience and it is only paying $31K plus medical.

I can't believe some of the positions being advertised. I wonder if the company will actually find someone to work for that low with all of their requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City