Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM

576 posts, read 1,549,654 times

Advertisements

6000.00 per 6 months for full coverage or more. liability will be less.
remember if your going to finance the car they require full coverage. good luck it is definately cheaper to get that unlimited for 104 or get a cheaper car for now and just get liability.. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times
Do me a solid OP and lemme know where you're gonna be driving around so I can, ya know, not be there...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,467,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokh View Post
Hi people! I need help please... Im 21! Im from Brooklyn! Im gonna buy car, used one, 2005-2007, I want to know, im a new driver, just got my driver license, and I dont know, i have no idea about insurance, i need some cheaper insurance, im a student, thats y i cant pay a lot for insurance! Please help me, give me some advice, and I want to know, how much i will cost, just about... Thank you ! ! !
Let me ask you something: Why do you feel you need a car? Is it for work? For use at the weekends? I don't know Puppy, you're a bit young and this is going to be a BIG expense (don't forget you need to pay for registration, update of the car, inspections and like $5 gas). What do you need to use it for?

I kept my car when I was living in Astoria since I drove it to downtown Manhattan everyday. Parking was OK to locate where I lived. Not close by, but walkable. I then moved to Brooklyn and within 6 weeks, a pile of parking tickets and a stress level near 100, I sold it to my cousin.

What part of Brookyln do you live in? Is it free street parking, metered? Do you know the regulations? If required, can you rent a parking spot? Have you checked into the cost of that?

I guess I'm just trying to understand why you feel you need a car at your age and where you live. It's not really a requirement with the endless public transportation options we have at our doorsteps.

Please give the whole plan another thought. It's going to be costly and time consuming and its an added responsibility for you which frankly - at your age - you don't need. Wait till your in your big boy pants and looking to settle down with the wife and kids in the burbs OR you hit it really big in some industry where money is no option and you have assistants who take care of those niggly little parking violations! Embrace your freedom!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM

32 posts, read 173,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokh View Post
Hi people! I need help please... Im 21! Im from Brooklyn! Im gonna buy car, used one, 2005-2007, I want to know, im a new driver, just got my driver license, and I dont know, i have no idea about insurance, i need some cheaper insurance, im a student, thats y i cant pay a lot for insurance! Please help me, give me some advice, and I want to know, how much i will cost, just about... Thank you ! ! !
I've been trying to find out the same thing but all people do is tell me to call insurance companies and get rude, i don't understand why they reply to posts if they don't want to help

Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,925,867 times
If you don't get a good response go to the automotive section

https://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/

Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,883,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post
Not sure if this will help, but get prepared to get screwed. Insurance rates in NYC, especially for a 21 year old, are high. It is high for even those with a clean driving record, which I pray you have since you are a new driver. So lets add up the factors that will not be in your favor:

1 - new driver: you will pay the highest rates;

2 - never had insurance and currently do not have insurance: you will be thrown into the assigned risk pool (the pool for new new drivers and those who currently do not have insurance), which btw has the highest rates;

3 - your age and martial status (I assume you are single): you will pay high rates because you are young; and

4 - a newer car will more than likely require full coverage.

If I was you I'd take the bus and/or train if I could. I know the pressure of having a vehicle at 21 because I was once there. But I would seriously think about holding off or at least getting a hoop-ride that requires only liability coverage.
I'm 22 and I pay 300/month for a old honda. It's ridiculous here in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
6000.00 per 6 months for full coverage or more. liability will be less.
remember if your going to finance the car they require full coverage. good luck it is definately cheaper to get that unlimited for 104 or get a cheaper car for now and just get liability.. Good Luck
6000 for 6 months? That's insane. I pay around 1800 for 6 months with Statefarm.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 PM

224 posts, read 348,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Let me ask you something: Why do you feel you need a car? Is it for work? For use at the weekends? I don't know Puppy, you're a bit young and this is going to be a BIG expense (don't forget you need to pay for registration, update of the car, inspections and like $5 gas). What do you need to use it for?

I kept my car when I was living in Astoria since I drove it to downtown Manhattan everyday. Parking was OK to locate where I lived. Not close by, but walkable. I then moved to Brooklyn and within 6 weeks, a pile of parking tickets and a stress level near 100, I sold it to my cousin.

What part of Brookyln do you live in? Is it free street parking, metered? Do you know the regulations? If required, can you rent a parking spot? Have you checked into the cost of that?

I guess I'm just trying to understand why you feel you need a car at your age and where you live. It's not really a requirement with the endless public transportation options we have at our doorsteps.

Please give the whole plan another thought. It's going to be costly and time consuming and its an added responsibility for you which frankly - at your age - you don't need. Wait till your in your big boy pants and looking to settle down with the wife and kids in the burbs OR you hit it really big in some industry where money is no option and you have assistants who take care of those niggly little parking violations! Embrace your freedom!
There is no freedom in being a slave to public transportation.

No thanks!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,883,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post

You need to have money to take care of a car. Registration cost me 197 bucks. To get insurance, it cost me a lot of money. I had to leave a lot of money for a deposit and then the monthly fees. I only have liability on my car, so it isn't bad. It's still a lot of money though. Like you said, taking the bus or train is a good bet unless you want your own car.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:34 PM

52 posts, read 137,272 times
New York state in general, and the city in particular, has experienced huge increases in insurance rates brought on by rampant fraud which the state legislature refuses to correct because of the trial lawyer lobby. Still, the rates you quote are astronomical.

You will find wide variations among insurance companies in rates. Certain companies specialize in a certain type of driver in certain areas, and if you're not the type they want, they quote really high rates as a way of telling you they don't want your business.

Inexperienced operators, defined as driving less than 3 years, also pay more. And you are under 25 and, I presume, a male. So you're getting it from all angles.

So I would definitely shop around. Check out Brooklyn Car Insurance Agents - Brooklyn, NY Auto Insurance Quotes for quotes from Brooklyn car insurance agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City