Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 99,378 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how life is in the Clinton Hill Neighborhood around the corner of Franklin and Lexington? My "just graduated from college" son and his room mate are looking at apartments in that area and I am wondering what the neighborhood is like. My son is from Minneapolis, MN and has attended summer school at Parsons School of Design a few summers ago. Now he will be attending Parsons again for a two-year post-college program. So although he is not from a small town per se, and although he has spent a few weeks in Manhattan, he is not a "native" New Yorker by any means. Any advise re Clinton Hill would be appreciated. He wants to sign a lease tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjohnson View Post
Can anyone tell me how life is in the Clinton Hill Neighborhood around the corner of Franklin and Lexington? My "just graduated from college" son and his room mate are looking at apartments in that area and I am wondering what the neighborhood is like. My son is from Minneapolis, MN and has attended summer school at Parsons School of Design a few summers ago. Now he will be attending Parsons again for a two-year post-college program. So although he is not from a small town per se, and although he has spent a few weeks in Manhattan, he is not a "native" New Yorker by any means. Any advise re Clinton Hill would be appreciated. He wants to sign a lease tomorrow!

did they make wills up? are their affairs in order?

why do people wait until the last second to ask questions like this?
I would never move anywhere without checking things out long before I got close to signing anything

Old 07-17-2007, 08:02 PM

From your snide comments, I take it that this is not a safe area. Do you have anything constructive to add or would you rather just like to add to my nervousness?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
From your snide comments, I take it that this is not a safe area. Do you have anything constructive to add or would you rather just like to add to my nervousness?
snide? I'm sorry, welcome to NY! I hope you like living at the epicenter of the hip hop gang banger nation.

I hope things work out for them and if they survive they'll have learned some valulable lessons like you get what you pay for and they should do their homework before commiting to anything

Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,080,439 times
kort677... I see you feel you know it all, but I can see further that you missed social skills training classes. I don't mean to be mean...but I'm often surprised at the inappropriateness of your posts. Please don't tell me there are others like you down in PVB!!
ibjohnson...I'm a native new yorker (as is kort677, I believe) and I do welcome you to the posts. In no way does the previous poster represent the rest of us on CD...Granted, it is a bit late to ask, but I'm guessing that other than a congo line of curious tourists checking out the area, it's a safe one to live in. If your son has figured out the transportation angle, it sounds like an interesting plan. Good luck, and don't worry.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Thank you MsV for your reassurance....I need some! However, my son's roommate has lived in NY for the past four years while going to NYU and he tells me that he has many student friends living in the Clinton Hill area and that it's a great neighborhood. I know, I know.....this is another 20 something year old telling me this, but he is a very mature, good kid that I have known since he was in second grade back here in the midwest. I realize that kort677 thinks I must be totally naive and have not done my homework. However, I believed that the boys would be looking in Williamsburg or Greenpoint and did my homework there. I did not know that they would be looking as far south as Clinton Hill. I also admit that I was relying on the knowledge of the kid that had rented apartments in NY for four years while at NYU to use his judgement.

As far as the transportation question, yes, they have looked into that and seem to think that it is doable. They are both pretty experienced on the subway system.

Thanks again for your post.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you MsV for your reassurance....I need some! However, my son's roommate has lived in NY for the past four years while going to NYU and he tells me that he has many student friends living in the Clinton Hill area and that it's a great neighborhood. I know, I know.....this is another 20 something year old telling me this, but he is a very mature, good kid that I have known since he was in second grade back here in the midwest. I realize that kort677 thinks I must be totally naive and have not done my homework. However, I believed that the boys would be looking in Williamsburg or Greenpoint and did my homework there. I did not know that they would be looking as far south as Clinton Hill. I also admit that I was relying on the knowledge of the kid that had rented apartments in NY for four years while at NYU to use his judgement.

As far as the transportation question, yes, they have looked into that and seem to think that it is doable. They are both pretty experienced on the subway system.

Thanks again for your post.
if you want the warm fuzzy version, this guy is the one for you, ignore reality at your own peril. Sorry if the tough love makes you feel bad but I thought that you needed a good shock to stop them from making a big mistake.
I hope that they are safe and cozy while they are visting NY for their studies.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 PM

332 posts, read 1,121,680 times
lbjohnson

I lived for many years about 6 to 8 blocks from the place you are describing. If it makes any difference, I am black and my partner is white and we never had any problems. I think your son and his roommate will be fairly safe - the area is home to many Pratt students and some young hipsters are discovering it. There are nice restaurants on Myrtle Ave, I highly recommend Zaytoons for Middle Eastern food and Thai 101.

That said, while I don't think that the area is all grim, it is still gritty enough that they need to keep their wits about them when walking around late at night, esp. coming out of the subway. The are a few crusty stores and bodegas around the subway at Atlantic Ave (the one at Lafayette is safer), and it is entirely possible to be mugged around there. I know a couple of people who were held up for their cell phones, iPods, etc.

So, they won't be murdered in their beds, but shouldn't walk around with their eyes closed, either.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM

100 posts, read 629,469 times
lbjohnson,

Clinton Hill is generally a nice area. Many are moving out there for affordable rents.

One cause for concern is the existence of a housing project in the area. Other than that the area is really nice.

Are you sure you do not mean he is attending Pratt? That college is in the neighborhood. To my knowledge the two are rivals. Well anyway good luck to your son

Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,686,045 times
Frank/Lexington.....good spot, although a few blocks north is LG!

Clinton Hill, overall, is a very good nabe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City