Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,667 times

Advertisements

hey guys,

So I am managing my dad's property and recently we been having a lot of trouble dealing with these tenants in a illegal apartment (garage). First off, I admit we shouldn't have done that but what happen is that the tenant kept threatening us. He made threats that we must give them $$$$ or they will report us to the city. Then they wanted the money first. We refused, so they call the city and we were cited for a illegal apartment. I am accepting the consequences and willing to correct the violation by restoring the premise to the original state but the problem is that the tenants to move out (even though they were the ones to report it). I am not taking rent from them or anything, all I am asking is for them to move out but they refused, saying that they wan to take us to court so they can delay the process even further and get money out of it.

I am a college student and I am really stressed dealing with this tenant, along with the threats, the negotiations, the unwillingness to cooperate, and the emotional distress of this that I really regret the illegal apartment and it is simply not worth it.

From what I heard, these illegal tenants, 2 of 4 are unemployed and I believe this is what they do for a living. Live in unsuitable homes and bum off rent and threats. ahhhh

If I try to evict them by means of housing court, what will they do? Will they help the tenant or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM

316 posts, read 989,415 times
Why not turn the power off? Or run a hose from your car's exhaust into the garage: problem solved!

It's time to call a lawyer.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
There's 4 people living in a garage?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,823 times
you have to go to court and get an eviction order. No "help" will be given other than the time it takes to evict. They have no legal obligation to leave without a court order.
definitley should of negotiated with them.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,401 times
@OP, read through all those "illegal basement" thread, you may find you answer there.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
There's 4 people living in a garage?
Just when you think you have heard it all right? Nothing
surprises me anymore, nothing. How did he find these 4
people? put up a "Garage for rent" sign? LOL.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM

91 posts, read 311,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
you have to go to court and get an eviction order. No "help" will be given other than the time it takes to evict. They have no legal obligation to leave without a court order.
definitley should of negotiated with them.
Basically what this poster stated.

It might take a bit of time, but with a court order they are bound to leave in a certain amount of time.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,146 times
Default Can you share your experience on this situation?

Did you get your tentant out? Which lawyer did you hire to represent you?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Just when you think you have heard it all right? Nothing
surprises me anymore, nothing. How did he find these 4
people? put up a "Garage for rent" sign? LOL.
you laugh, but when I am out side doing my hedges, usually during the warm months, ppl walk up to me and ask if they can rent out my basement, they don't even care if it is finished - and they have kids!! and they dont even know me!! SICK

Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLL View Post
Did you get your tentant out? Which lawyer did you hire to represent you?
I sent you message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City