Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM

244 posts, read 664,533 times

Advertisements

About a month ago, the city inspectors where here
and wanted to inspect the basement (where I live)
because of complaints.

Does anybody know how long before they will "break the door down"
so they can do the inspection?

I was just told that it takes a long time for the city to
get a warrant (or whatever it's called) to come and bust the door down.

Does anyone know anything about this and what will happen next?
How long do I have before I should consider getting out of here?
I would really like to stay here another 6 months. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,332 times
Inspectors act on complaints. They make a first visit and if they do not gain access, they leave a note on the door stating the date of their next visit. After the 2nd visit if they do not gain access, the file is closed. Make sure not to give them access. From what I gather, they are trying to get the courts to give them greater powers.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 109,684 times
+1. Exactly as DADA JUCE said.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,498 times
I could only imagine the amount of buildings that would be shut down if city inspectors had more power to do their jobs. I'm sure people will complain about getting kicked out of their apartments, but how many buildings do we need to collapse before we reform the buildings department and give them more power to force inspections and make sure that the city's buildings and infrastructure remain safe?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM

16 posts, read 452,427 times
However, if the inspector has just cause to believe there is an illegal unit in the building, they can easily get a warrant - and they are highly motivated to do so! The trouble with anonymous tips is that they are not just cause. BUT, what if the person who filed the report had photo evidence? What if there was evidence of the illegal unit in plain view to the inspector at the front door? What if you take the tenant to court and the tenant uses the existence of an illegal unit as part of their argument? In all these cases, the inspectors will have a warrant within 24hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City